Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:47 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

I will say this about Austin. It is ever changing. It will have the 3rd best skyline in the state of Texas in a few years. With so many tall projects going up, I think it will be higher than San Antonio's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 06:50 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
No doubt. I have seen Austin's project list for Downtown...impressive. SA is currently building everything in the suburbs.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
No doubt. I have seen Austin's project list for Downtown...impressive. SA is currently building everything in the suburbs.
Yeah, Austin has focused more on urban core growth than SA has.

We'll see which city wins out in the battle for 3rd and 4th. My money is on Austin.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 PM

150 posts, read 688,934 times
Quote:
We'll see which city wins out in the battle for 3rd and 4th. My money is on Austin.
ok first of all, in all respect, neither SA or Austin have the third best skyline, its uptown Houston, just today i went up on 59 north and then up on 610 north, Uptown is beautiful with all the beautiful highrises. And to be completely bias, lol, the fourth best is TMC. Not to start a war, but Houston is a clear winner if compared to DFW when it comes to skylines. Houston has a better CBD than Dallas, and has a way better secondary skyline (uptown) if compared to Dallas.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:45 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times
Austin would be a terrific city if they can get a grip on the major sprawl as well as the public transit. You can't do much about the weather but you can certainly improve the quality of life by having good jobs available, friendly locals and low to moderate cost of living. Chicago has an excellent skyline and so does Houston but the two cities couldn't be more different. Chicago's culture and architecture are world renowned. It's very much a world class city. The better question to ask is how Houston can be more like Austin from a social/politcal standpoint?

Also, another interesting point to debate would be which city takes care of its citizens better and how? List specifics and relevant facts to support your assertions.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
ok first of all, in all respect, neither SA or Austin have the third best skyline, its uptown Houston, just today i went up on 59 north and then up on 610 north, Uptown is beautiful with all the beautiful highrises. And to be completely bias, lol, the fourth best is TMC. Not to start a war, but Houston is a clear winner if compared to DFW when it comes to skylines. Houston has a better CBD than Dallas, and has a way better secondary skyline (uptown) if compared to Dallas.
I think the skyline discussion has been exhausted with regards to Dallas vs. Houston. Houston has more now. DFW is expanding.

Houston's uptown looks great.

But back to this new discussion on Austin, I think Austin has great potential. And the culture there is more of a walking city than some of the other cities in Texas. I wonder if Austin may introduce rail service at some point?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:17 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I think the skyline discussion has been exhausted with regards to Dallas vs. Houston. Houston has more now. DFW is expanding.

Houston's uptown looks great.

But back to this new discussion on Austin, I think Austin has great potential. And the culture there is more of a walking city than some of the other cities in Texas. I wonder if Austin may introduce rail service at some point?
They're currently building it now. It will run from DTA to Leander. And I'll take Austin's skyline over uptown Houston. Austin is building a dense tall cluster

Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They're currently building it now. It will run from DTA to Leander. And I'll take Austin's skyline over uptown Houston. Austin is building a dense tall cluster
ANd I'll take DFW's skyline over any other MSA in Texas VP is going to look very nice
So now the Houston folks will talk a/b uptown, downtown, midtown, TMC Houston b/c of that comment

Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah, it isn't like Uptown Houston isn't building more towers. The TMC is also VERY dense. Houston isn't done building. That is what a lot of people forget. I'll take Houston's skyline(s) hands down over any other metro area in Texas. Houston clearly has more, AND it is the tallest. Out of the top five tallest buildings in Texas, Houston has three of them, #1, #2, and #4.

The TMC:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/FlightHoustontoDallas086.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Guerilla; 07-07-2007 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Austin would be a terrific city if they can get a grip on the major sprawl as well as the public transit. You can't do much about the weather but you can certainly improve the quality of life by having good jobs available, friendly locals and low to moderate cost of living. Chicago has an excellent skyline and so does Houston but the two cities couldn't be more different. Chicago's culture and architecture are world renowned. It's very much a world class city. The better question to ask is how Houston can be more like Austin from a social/politcal standpoint?
When Houston was building all of its towers, they were world-renowned. I suggest you check this out: Architecture of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Houston's culture can match Chicago's. Houston is just as diverse (if not more; it has way more foreign consulars than Chicago). Houston is very much a world class city. Why does Houston need to be more like Austin in that regard? Houston is a liberal city. Its suburbs are not, just like almost every other suburban area in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.