Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's more hardcore and tougher? American border agents or Canadian border agents?
Canadian? 3 15.79%
American? 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times

Advertisements

Yup, it's a mixed bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
The US side is definitely more "hardcore" or just plain a-holes. I used to commute back and forth daily (for over 2 years) and would see the same border people on both sides. It got to the point where the Canadians would just wave me by or say something like "how ya doing" while but I would run into the most unbelievable difficult people on the US side. I used to try and drive real slow to see who was in the booths so I could pick who to go to. One time I was kept over 30 minutes without being pulled over and asked random questions like which country I thought was better, do I think Canadian or US men are better looking. which seem like just friendly questions now but not when its subzero temps and they're ripping your car apart in front of hundreds of cars. Unfortunately for him one of his coworkers reported the incident and the guy was fired. After that I noticed a significant change in the power trip behavior. No matter what border I cross the Canadians always seem either friendly or just calm professional.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
The USA side isn't really tougher, they're just extremely rude almost every time I've been through. Compared to the Canadians, who ask questions and might even grill you a little harder, but they at least act like they're talking to a human being who is just going about their lawful business.

Even at all the airports, of the 20 times I've gone through customs at a dozen airports in Europe compared to anywhere in the USA - it's like night and day.

The Europeans ask more questions, but they're professional.

The American agents are a hybrid between:

1) Couldn't care less about what you're doing, and almost as if they're bothering them
2) Assuming that every person IS a criminal and a terrorist. Very condescending and almost act like they've failed if they can't find a reason to search you further or "catch you". They always seem to look at the passport, look at you, type stuff in, then throw your passport at you or slap it down on the counter without actually looking at you or saying anything. I had a guy one time actually say "welcome home" and I was almost in shock.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Hard for me to answer. I saw the Simpsons episode where Homer and Marge were floating in an inflatable fun house down the Niagara River toward the falls and both the American officials and the Canadian officials looked pretty tough while arguing who'd save them!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
btw wouldn't it be more appropriate to say US not American? Saying American versus Canadian is like saying European vs French

Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The USA side isn't really tougher, they're just extremely rude almost every time I've been through. Compared to the Canadians, who ask questions and might even grill you a little harder, but they at least act like they're talking to a human being who is just going about their lawful business.

Even at all the airports, of the 20 times I've gone through customs at a dozen airports in Europe compared to anywhere in the USA - it's like night and day.

The Europeans ask more questions, but they're professional.

The American agents are a hybrid between:

1) Couldn't care less about what you're doing, and almost as if they're bothering them
2) Assuming that every person IS a criminal and a terrorist. Very condescending and almost act like they've failed if they can't find a reason to search you further or "catch you". They always seem to look at the passport, look at you, type stuff in, then throw your passport at you or slap it down on the counter without actually looking at you or saying anything. I had a guy one time actually say "welcome home" and I was almost in shock.
This could be because of the caliber of person CBP is hiring. I made a statement before about me having more trouble with Canadian guards, but at least they were professional. I always have brief interactions with US guards but you are right, they are more rude.
I know that CBP scrapes the bottom of the barrel for employees in some instances. They have a mix of persons with college degrees working for them combined with some uneducated persons with more of a "rough" background. In recent years they have had mass hirings, and with mass hirings, you will get some undesirable people in the mix.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
From my experience crossing into Quebec and back, it is the Canadians who have been tougher.
The stupid thing about it is that the border crossing at I-87 in New York is like 45 minutes from Montreal, we almost always are a van or car full of men, and Montreal has many strip joints. Yet these idiotic border agents grill us as to why we want to enter Canada.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
This could be because of the caliber of person CBP is hiring. I made a statement before about me having more trouble with Canadian guards, but at least they were professional. I always have brief interactions with US guards but you are right, they are more rude.
I know that CBP scrapes the bottom of the barrel for employees in some instances. They have a mix of persons with college degrees working for them combined with some uneducated persons with more of a "rough" background. In recent years they have had mass hirings, and with mass hirings, you will get some undesirable people in the mix.
To the Americans, the border with Canada is our back door. To the Canadians, the border with America is their front door.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 PM

306 posts, read 758,932 times
Now ask a dual citizen which country's passports are harder than they need be to GET.....!!

Canada's passport application looks like most job applications!! For the US one you only have to prove US citizenship. For the Canadian one, that's not the issue. You have to have like 5 references who can be reached, who knows you and how long they've known you is more relevant to getting a Canadian passport than whether or not one of your parents was BORN there which makes you automatically a Canadian citizen.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Ther American border guards have actually been cooler as of late. I had this idiot guard on the Canadian side. I told him where I worked. Apparently, he got leery when I told him that it was my day off (on a Thursday). I could see if I worked at a bank, maybe or a school as a teacher, but come on.....(I have rotating days off).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.