Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times

Advertisements

I'ma throw philly in the mix, cuz people seem to forget (or not know), that west philly was the origianl Afro-American mecca, when the ATL and DC were still mired in slavery. Unfortunately many parts of philly have turned into a black distopia. Detroit, and Harlem, St. Louis, and NOLA have been the most significant overall to afro-american culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
I have strong familial ties to Chicago and there are black people doing quite well there as well as strong middle class black neighborhoods INSIDE and in the suburbs of Chicago. Thats not to say its without its problems bur definately not the crummy wasteland like you describe it to be.

I currently live in metro Atlanta and it is a great place, but it isn't all the rosey utopia black people and our black market media outlets make it out to be. It seems as though you are on the whole "grass is greener" kick. But you know what happens with that.........

I currently live in Atlanta as well, and as a black man, I cannot deny the opportunities here, but at the same time, this is a city that has its share of problems and issues just like anywhere else. Being black is not an automatic ticket to success here.

And I've heard a saying that "sometimes, the greenest grass is over the septic tank" before. I'm very adamant about people doing their research before they make a move, no matter what color they are or where they decide to head out to.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
I have strong familial ties to Chicago and there are black people doing quite well there as well as strong middle class black neighborhoods INSIDE and in the suburbs of Chicago. Thats not to say its without its problems bur definately not the crummy wasteland like you describe it to be.

I currently live in metro Atlanta and it is a great place, but it isn't all the rosey utopia black people and our black market media outlets make it out to be. It seems as though you are on the whole "grass is greener" kick. But you know what happens with that.........
Grass is greener kick.......I have no desire to move to Atlanta. None at all. I was just asking a question.

Guess what, sometimes the grass is greener.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I'ma throw philly in the mix, cuz people seem to forget (or not know), that west philly was the origianl Afro-American mecca, when the ATL and DC were still mired in slavery.
Philly doesn't hold that distinction now, although it does have a great history in this regard. It's no coincidence that the African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in Philly.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 AM

68 posts, read 178,722 times
Any mention of Columbus in this thread is most definitely true. Compared to some of the southern cities it isn't a huge mecca, but the black community here is growing and is also substantially wealthier than the rest of its midwestern neighbors, save maybe Indianapolis.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockindabuildin View Post
Any mention of Columbus in this thread is most definitely true. Compared to some of the southern cities it isn't a huge mecca, but the black community here is growing and is also substantially wealthier than the rest of its midwestern neighbors, save maybe Indianapolis.
Columbus is in fact a good place for sure.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Now this is ignorant.....do you think MOST blacks are into music and entertainment? Gee-whiz, get your head out of the sand.

Try picking up a Black Enterprise magazine.

Most blacks do not work in those industries. That's like saying the reason Nashville has so many whites is because of country music. How narrow minded would that be? Very.
And how is this ignorant? I literally have friends with college degrees who moved down to Atlanta to pursue the music industry more, but wound up moving to DC cause the job market was better and couldn't find one in Atlanta. People move to places to work, Atlanta is the music capital now so whats wrong with stating facts that people move down there for that. Surely there are other reasons as well, but lets not act like that hasn't been a major part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.