Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:30 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times

Advertisements

I don't know.
I've spent a good amount of time in Florida and it can definitely be tied to southern culture.

I spent time in Fort Myers, and no not the ritzy part. I'm talking about the Tice neighborhood, and though it isn't so redneck around there (more so ghetto) you will see houses that look like shacks in a jungle, but once you take a trip over the Bridge into North Fort Myers around the Suncoast trailer park/walmart you will see that it resembles the deep south, and the people show their southern pride very well down there.
Lehigh Acres is another one that has a similar vibe yet more polished.

Northern Florida in general is very southern culturally.

The east coast of Florida may have less of the southern culture, but the west coast can get pretty southern once you go a bit more inland from the Gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
This is how I see it. If we go by what comes to mind as " southern" ( which nobody can agree on), then the 1st thought of Miami or Texas to some people. If we compare them to other areas in the regions, however, the similarities are undeniable. That's the problem, everyone has a kind of common idea of what "northern" and "midwestern" and everything else is, but everyone has a different idea of what the south is supposed to be.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Florida is definately more Southern than meets the eye, and that is a very positive thing in my opinion. Northern Florida is culturally considered part of the Deep South along with GA, AL, MS, LA, SC, and East Texas. Pensacola and Tallahassee are beautiful cities. Northern Florida feels very similar to southern Georgia and Alabama. As far as central Florida is concerned, I still get a Southern feel from Tampa and Orlando, but they have overdeveloped themselves and attracted far too many transplants, particularly those from New York and New Jersey who move for cheap property and then proceed to bash all things Southern and Floridian. The inland portions of South Florida are quite Southern, but once you get to the far southern coast, Miami, and the Keys, it takes on a strong Caribbean influence and feel.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 PM

55 posts, read 76,604 times
I think the I-4 corridor from Tampa to Orlando to Daytona Beach is what separate culturally Southern Florida, from the culturally Caribbean Florida.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterRattler View Post
I think the I-4 corridor from Tampa to Orlando to Daytona Beach is what separate culturally Southern Florida, from the culturally Caribbean Florida.
The people in Clewiston, Belle Glade, and Pahokee disagree.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Having lived in Miami when growing up, I agree that there is definitely Southern culture in Miami. It's in the old established families who've been there longer than most of the Cubans and Caribbeans and NYers and other Northerners who have overwhelmed the place. It's still there, you just have to look for it. You won't see it as a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.