Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 06:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times

Advertisements

There are probably 10 NBA teams that would do better in Seattle than their current home. I won't mention them by name because it just flares up the thread. But Seattle is one of the largest metros without an NBA team. And for almost a decade and a half. Hint: most are in the South Eastern U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 07:24 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
^ I was just thinking about the Sonics the other day when I saw KD's rookie profile during a Nets game I think. I completely forgot he was in Seattle that first year.

X Man, Dale Ellis, Sean Kemp, The Glove (Gary Payton) they were loaded back in the day. Knicks/Sonics games from the late 80's right through the 90's were usually real competitive. I would think they'd be right near the top for an expansion franchise.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:39 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Yeah. There was a newspaper story about Durant being away from his friends and family that first year. He lived in a big house and made friends with the middle school kid next door. They played video games together. Sometimes the kid would be like, "no Kevin, I got too much homework."

Shawn Kemp is still around. He has a store near me with a big mural on the side, not far from the arena. Buy pot there on a Sunday and he'll take a picture with you, so I'm told.

This city would love an NBA team. This preseason we had a game or two (forgetting who that was) and of course the pro-am where a lot of top players like Banchero and LeBron played (and OKC's prized rookie Holmgren got injured). Tough to get tickets to either.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:32 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You're really stretching here. If you're going to add Toronto, Syracuse, and Erie to Buffalo, might as well add Wichita and Dallas/Fort Worth to OKC.
It isn’t a stretch though. Those areas are within a reasonable drive to the stadium(about 2 hours or so) and don’t have pro football and/or have a substantial amount of fans at the stadium. People in Dallas, which is further away than any of the places I mentioned in terms of Buffalo, aren’t going to go to watch an NFL team in another area the way people from the Golden Horseshoe of Ontario would, even with having 2 CFL teams. I can get Wichita and parts of North and West Texas, but it isn’t the same.

Old 10-29-2022, 03:18 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
With regards to the NHL, Houston is the biggest vacancy. Milwaukee, Cleveland, Anchorage, Hartford, etc. are either too small or too close to other markets with teams. Ultimately they'll need an owner/ownership group but it's not a stretch to say that the league would like to be in Houston, lots of potential for new fans, new eyeballs for TV viewership, and new corporate dollars (Waste Management is located there and has their name stamped on many NHL rink boards).

And, it's not like the city is a stranger to the game (Aeros with Gordie Howe) or been at the forefront of expansion/relocation (Edmonton Oilers were really close in 1998 to being bought and moved by Les Alexander of the Rockets).

Old 10-30-2022, 08:20 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
With regards to the NHL, Houston is the biggest vacancy. Milwaukee, Cleveland, Anchorage, Hartford, etc. are either too small or too close to other markets with teams. Ultimately they'll need an owner/ownership group but it's not a stretch to say that the league would like to be in Houston, lots of potential for new fans, new eyeballs for TV viewership, and new corporate dollars (Waste Management is located there and has their name stamped on many NHL rink boards).

And, it's not like the city is a stranger to the game (Aeros with Gordie Howe) or been at the forefront of expansion/relocation (Edmonton Oilers were really close in 1998 to being bought and moved by Les Alexander of the Rockets).
The "small market" Cleveland Browns average 67K per game in attendance, 16th out of 32 teams and Cleveland Cavaliers are 12th out of 30 with an average of 3K per game. The MLB Cleveland Guardians dropped to 25th out of 30 after the name change from Indians, and some fans will need a couple years to get over that apparently. A one team NHL expansion is probably not in the cards for league best interests, given the current eight team split among four conferences. I would guess a two or four team expansion with Atlanta and Houston perhaps, or a combination involving San Diego and Cleveland.

Old 10-30-2022, 10:23 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You actually made my point by considering not only the Niagara Region, but within an hour on the Canadian side, there are about 1 million more people. Then, if you consider those in Toronto, Syracuse, other nearby parts of NY and the Erie PA area, all are within 2 hours or so of Buffalo. My point is that Buffalo is actually within a much more populated radius than people realize in regards to the NFL and the pull it has. This region is within close proximity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe In fact, a substantial portion of Buffalo bills season ticket holders are from Canada, with reports ranging from 10-25%.

Keep in mind that the OKC metro area is bigger than the Buffalo and Rochester metros combined in land area, with its metro population not that much more than that of Buffalo's. Tulsa is also a good 30 miles further away from OKC than Buffalo to Rochester, downtown to downtown.

This doesn't even get into the fan base proving that it supports the team it has.
To be honest, neither Buffalo nor OKC check the boxes for a major league franchise in 2022. (With the exception of maybe Hockey in Buffalo, just because hockey is such a regional sport there are far fewer markets for it).

Buffalo's NFL team is a legacy institution. There is no way anyone would put a new team there today. OKC got an NBA team by having a local billionaire buy a team from another city and forcibly move it there. It wouldn't have been at the top of the list based on any kind of business metric, it was purely hometown pride. Good for OKC, a shame for Seattle.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:30 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
In my opinion, cities that will most likely get teams by 2030:

NHL:
Houston
Quebec City

NFL:
most likely no changes

MLS:
Las Vegas
Phoenix or
San Diego

NBA:
Seattle
Las Vegas or
Kansas City

MLB:
Portland
Nashville

Old 10-30-2022, 11:57 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The "small market" Cleveland Browns average 67K per game in attendance, 16th out of 32 teams and Cleveland Cavaliers are 12th out of 30 with an average of 3K per game. The MLB Cleveland Guardians dropped to 25th out of 30 after the name change from Indians, and some fans will need a couple years to get over that apparently. A one team NHL expansion is probably not in the cards for league best interests, given the current eight team split among four conferences. I would guess a two or four team expansion with Atlanta and Houston perhaps, or a combination involving San Diego and Cleveland.
The NHL already has a presence in Ohio with the Blue Jackets, which is kind of what I was hinting at.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The whole way the USA views pro markets is so different from anywhere else. Liverpool would be a small market in the USA yet has two Premier League teams, one is elite the other very good. Their stadiums in the same neighborhood. Scotland (4 million population) has an entire pro league yet many US states with 4 million people are deemed too small for a single team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.