Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city Epitomizes the West Coast More?
Los Angeles 24 64.86%
San Francisco 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Neither really...

Beverly Hills for illiterates in Podunk who view world through TV or movies or tourist crap

Palo Alto for those who understand where CA's money and IQ are centered

SF for clueless, cash-free tourists who are easily impressed by a few hills, pothole-laced roads, smelly homeless and commies, and a couple of bridges to nowhere...

Ohh yea the bridges in the Bay Area lead to nowhere (eyeroll). Bay Bridge connecting SF to the entire East Bay, ohh yea definitely leads to nowhere. The Golden Gate bridge linking Marin County and Napa Valley to the Bay Area...once again you are correct, leads to nowhere. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:01 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
What epitomizes the West Coast? San Francisco... It is a sort of PNW meets SoCal culture and really is more representative of the entire West Coast.

Picking LA as epitomizing the West Coast is like saying that Miami epitomizes the East Coast. Don't get me wrong, I love Los Angeles, but it is not the epitome of the entire West Coast--it's its own little SoCal world much like NYC is its own little world.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 AM

450 posts, read 1,406,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
What epitomizes the West Coast? San Francisco... It is a sort of PNW meets SoCal culture and really is more representative of the entire West Coast.

Picking LA as epitomizing the West Coast is like saying that Miami epitomizes the East Coast. Don't get me wrong, I love Los Angeles, but it is not the epitome of the entire West Coast--it's its own little SoCal world much like NYC is its own little world.
Its not really a "little" world considering half of the population on the West Coast (CA, Oregon, and Washington) lives in Southern California. There are more people in Los Angeles County than Oregon and Washington state combined. Its hardly a "little" world considering more people live in So Cal than there are in countries like Taiwan, Australia, the Netherlands, Chile, or Greece.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 AM

404 posts, read 595,184 times
LA then....Portland.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Its not really a "little" world considering half of the population on the West Coast (CA, Oregon, and Washington) lives in Southern California. There are more people in Los Angeles County than Oregon and Washington state combined. Its hardly a "little" world considering more people live in So Cal than there are in countries like Taiwan, Australia, the Netherlands, Chile, or Greece.
It is a "littler" world in LA than it is places like the Netherlands and Australia simply by the virtue that there are so many people there that they don't have to venture beyond their little sphere ever. Basically they remain in their own little world instead of being forced to branch out like people in the Netherlands and Australia and, perhaps, the Northwest must do. Yes, the world comes to LA and it is very diverse, but that is not the same as having to reach out, and that makes their world view and their world little/smaller.

And anyway, the "West Coast" consists of the West Coast meaning the ENTIRE coast from the Mexican border to the Canadian border and everything in between including NorCal, Oregon, and Washington. West Coast does not = Southern California. Taking all the different West Coast subcultures into consideration, LA is, in my opinion, incapable of being the epitome of the West Coast. I love LA, but...

Oh, and actually there are almost one million more people in Oregon/Washington combined than in Los Angeles County. Check your stats.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:01 AM

42 posts, read 129,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This is a dumb question because the West Coast is so large it could easily be split into two, actually three different categories.

LA to the south
Bay Area in the middle
Seattle far north

Its like asking what one city represents the South. There is not just one, but several.

Ditto. People from Los Angeles would say LA. People from San Francisco would scoff at that. Who's wrong? Neither. LA probably better epitomizes SoCal (though I don't know what people from San Diego would say about that), and SF better epitomizes Northern California.

Seattle would say they best represent the Pacific Northwest. People from Portland may take issue with that. The answer to this question depends upon what YOU think of when you think of the West Coast.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Which city epitomizes the Missisiippi River more: St Louis or New Orleans?
Which city epitomizes the Greak Lakes more: Cleveland or Chicago?
Which city epitomizes Canada more: Vancouver or Toronto?
Which city is more prairie Oklahoma City or Omaha?

all rather subjective but both are relevent as LA and SF both epeitomize West Coast, so not sure where this is going?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM

404 posts, read 595,184 times
Which city epitomizes the Missisiippi River more: St Louis or New Orleans? St Louis, at the confluence of the Missouri and Missisippi river, plus i'm more familiar with STL than NO.
Which city epitomizes the Greak Lakes more: Cleveland or Chicago? Chicago, When I think of Chicago I think the lake, and the navy pier.
Which city epitomizes Canada more: Vancouver or Toronto? Toronto, When I think of Canadien cities I immediately think of Toronto first and foremost.
Which city is more prairie Oklahoma City or Omaha? Omaha

Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Over here West Coast is more associated with L.A. than with San Francisco. No idea why that is. Maybe because of the palm trees, the climate and the Hispanic touch, and all the TV series and movies. I personally would even mention San Diego before San Francisco. Don't ask me why, just a feeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.