Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this country is the most beautiful country?
YES 51 58.62%
NO 36 41.38%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Exactly. You're not a true traditional American. A true traditional American has great pride for their country. They would never leave it. Your ancestors were fighting for this country, they were true Americans. They didn't fight so there family would leave the country generations later.
I've lived in 2 countries outside the US. I also have dual citizenship with the UK. Guess if it was up to you my US citizenship should be revoked.

I wonder why blind patriots such as you object so loudly when anyone dares leave the so-called greatest country in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
I can't vote yes on this.

I've not seen every other country. I loved the Mediterranean when I was there. I would love to drive the Chilean cost then around Tierra Del Fuego and north into Argentina then continue on to Brazil.

I would imagine any one of the three on their own (Argentina, Chile, or Brazil) could rival the United States. I would also think India, Kenya, Russia, Australia, and China could give the U.S. a decent run. Personally NZ doesn't do much for me but I know most find it incredibly beautiful.

I always like thinking of Chile as the California of South America. Only Chile also has Easter Island adding to its beauty.

http://www.1920x1080wallpapers.com/i...hotography.jpg

Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Yes, the US has diverse landscapes. However, some states have absolutely NO pretty landscapes. You also have to drive a very LONG way through suburbs upon suburbs that all look the same (boring) before you get to pretty scenery.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
If not, why and what countries top it?
If so, why?

I would say definitely yes because this country is so vast with the most diverse landscape known to man.
I like this answer. I may think, for example, deserts and big cities are ugly but others think they are beautiful. There is so much diverse land area we can all find beauty in it somewhere.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

16 posts, read 69,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
No, the United States has VERY ugly areas (such as the midwest, parts of the Northeast, and parts of the South), while countries like South Africa, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Ireland, etc.... are beautiful EVERYWHERE.

This^^^
Diversity of geography or climate should not equate to being most beautiful. Sure...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but just remember too, most "beholders" in the real world do not see much natural beauty in the flat plains of Illinois and Indiana, or the dusty rugged plains of Texas and Oklahoma just to name a few (although there are pretty spots in all these states) If you actually DRIVE across America--as I have--it really looks the same for many many states...flat, lifeless, uninspiring. The real beauty really jumps out at you when you reach parts of Tennessee and the Smokies to the south, or New Mexico to the west. The Dakotas to the north and New England to the east. Carolinas, Vermont, parts of Florida...all very beautiful. Luckily for us too, America has one of the most beautiful places on EARTH. Hawaii. That ups our score. But overall there are many entire countries on Earth that are beautiful from head to toe....anyone who has traveled Europe or South America knows this. The island nations...etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM

92 posts, read 119,141 times
I voted no,I've seen Italy,Spain & Amsterdam and I have to say they top the united states in the beauty department in my opinion. With the history,Architecture and even the people.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
^^Exactly. I thought no history could compare to the history of cities like NY, Philadelphia, and Boston. It wasn't until I visited Athens when I realized no history in the US can compare to most of Europe.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM

50 posts, read 135,239 times
I haven't been to any foreign countries [yet] so I'm not going to make any blind opinions.

From what I've seen from pictures of Switzerland and Austria, it looks BEAUTIFUL. The countries look so clean and the sky so blue.

Coming back to my opinion on America...

I see the beauty in everything I see. I can drive down the main road through my town and see the snow-capped Cascade Mountains and green forests. I can drive 20 minutes and be at any one of the Cascade Lakes. The Pacific Northwest is definitely one of my favorite parts of the US.

While I was in Nebraska, yes, it was flat and somewhat boring, but I absolutely loved the way the yellow cornfields clashed with the bright blue sky. And the sunsets were amazing there. The sky seemed to stretch forever. And the architecture in some parts of Omaha was actually really cool. I didn't expect a city that isn't known for anything at all to have such spectacular architecture.

I think America is one of the best places in the world. You can really choose any kind of atmosphere you can think of. Want lots of greenery and mountains? Pacific Northwest! Want stretching skies and farms? Midwest! Want huge coastal cities with historical value? Northeast!

I don't really think it's fair to compare the US, a vast, expansive nation to Switzerland or Greece. Because the bigger the country, the more diverse it's landscape will be. Switzerland and Greece are smaller countries that are in a certain area so the beauty will sweep the country from head to toe!

And to comment on an earlier post, magnitude doesn't mean it's more beautiful . Beauty comes in all sizes.

And of course NYC or Philadelphia won't have as much history as Athens, our country is only 200 years old!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I think the US has many beautiful areas from coast to coast and many points in between. Im not so sure on its infrastructure and its attiudes among much of its population. It would be better to have both physical beauty, and the beauty of its people getting along and accepting each other better. Its a very beautiful country but a very divided country.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
I'm french, and honestly : I think YES.
Why ? Landscape and wildlife ! It's so diverse and protected, I'm in love of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.