Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah Nashville is surprising. Davidson County (which is combined with Nashville) is ~27% Black, and it voted 60% for Obama . Shelby County (where Memphis is located) is ~49% Black and voted 64% for Obama. So it seems like Nashville has a lot more whites who voted for Obama. This is very surprising to me. Memphis is usually looked down upon by the rest of TN for being the "liberal city"
From my experience, some Tennesseans bad mouth Memphis because of the corruption or perceived corruption and crime. Also, I believe Memphis is looked down upon for having a large Black population. Few Tennesseans would admit this but it's rather obvious when you read between the lines and people start to show their true colors.

The Nashville numbers are not surprising to me. Nashville tends to be the most socially progressive city in Tennessee with all its colleges and universities and folks in the health care and entertainment industries. It tends to be the default city for many gay Tennesseans and just recently added sexual orientation and gender identity to the city's nondiscrimination policy. It's a left-leaning city (but more politically and socially more moderate when compared to the rest of the nation as a whole) that's surrounded by staunchly conservative suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:17 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
From my experience, some Tennesseans bad mouth Memphis because of the corruption or perceived corruption and crime. Also, I believe Memphis is looked down upon for having a large Black population. Few Tennesseans would admit this but it's rather obvious when you read between the lines and people start to show their true colors.

The Nashville numbers are not surprising to me. Nashville tends to be the most socially progressive city in Tennessee with all its colleges and universities and folks in the health care and entertainment industries. It tends to be the default city for many gay Tennesseans and just recently added sexual orientation and gender identity to the city's nondiscrimination policy. It's a left-leaning city (but more politically and socially more moderate when compared to the rest of the nation as a whole) that's surrounded by staunchly conservative suburbs.
Vanderbilt University is considered a very liberal school. Colleges definitely help shape a city's politics. Small towns with large universities are almost always very liberal even though the immediate countryside is very conservative. Must make for interesting culture clashes.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Even cities like Indianapolis & Omaha voted for Obama. Moderator cut: see comment
That's funny, considering how Obama won by a landslide in Indy (over two thirds of the vote). Were you expecting otherwise?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
That's funny, considering how Obama won by a landslide in Indy (over two thirds of the vote). Were you expecting otherwise?
I recently discovered how liberal large cities are compared to the states they are in. I knew that Indiana voted Democratic in 2008 but thought it was usually Republican. But the more I review the election results it seems that large cities that are still conservative are definitely on the decline. I haven't studied it carefully but only found Oklahoma City & Tulsa, among very large cities [500,000+] that voted Republican. I was very surprised by Salt Lake City also. No offense meant for Indianapolis.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 AM

517 posts, read 1,319,058 times
San Francisco......just kidding =)

Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 AM

68 posts, read 178,722 times
I know its not large enough to meet the specifics of this thread, but Fort Wayne IN seemed quite conservative to me. It was also a very shady town, everyone there seemed to stare at me like I had a chip on my shoulder. I was glad when my weekend there was done.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:58 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockindabuildin View Post
I know its not large enough to meet the specifics of this thread, but Fort Wayne IN seemed quite conservative to me. It was also a very shady town, everyone there seemed to stare at me like I had a chip on my shoulder. I was glad when my weekend there was done.
Did you have something odd on your shoulder?

While I don't exactly get excited about my visits to the Fort, I certainly wouldn't characterize it as a shady place.

It is, however, very conservative.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Well if we can go a bit smaller Colorado Springs, Colorado would could and Wichita, Kansas likely counts. I don't think Wichita as too conservative as it currently has a Democratic mayor, generally went for Sebellius as governor, and its state representation seems to be mixed. However Sedgwick County has consistently went for the Republican Presidential nominee since 1968, including McCain, and has consistently went for Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts in Senatorial elections.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
High percentages of union and government workers and welfare recipients will be Democrat. People vote their income (who will give them more money) regardless of beliefs on other issues.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Remove Philly and Pittsburgh from PA and it changes to all Republican and doesn't make a bit of difference. There's nothing good about either party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.