Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

I didn't check, but perhaps Cincinnati, or Wichita??

In many cases, in conservative states, the local big city may vote Democratic, but the GOP would dominate the county...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 PM

128 posts, read 298,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Vanderbilt University is considered a very liberal school. Colleges definitely help shape a city's politics. Small towns with large universities are almost always very liberal even though the immediate countryside is very conservative. Must make for interesting culture clashes.
Really?? Vaderbilt is considered a "very" liberal school? I'd always thought it was considered one of the few traditionally conservative eilte Southern schools left along with maybe Washington & Lee and Wake Forest whereas Duke, Emory, and to some extent Tulane had become quite liberal in the last couple decades.

Am I wrong? Is the general perception that Vanderbilt is a very liberal school?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post
Really?? Vaderbilt is considered a "very" liberal school? I'd always thought it was considered one of the few traditionally conservative eilte Southern schools left along with maybe Washington & Lee and Wake Forest whereas Duke, Emory, and to some extent Tulane had become quite liberal in the last couple decades.

You could very well be right. I only know that Vanderbilt is known for its research & groups of students come all the way to LA to work with the poor in the barrios for credit. Just figured it was sort of liberal [Al Gore graduated from Vanderbilt].

Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I didn't check, but perhaps Cincinnati, or Wichita??

In many cases, in conservative states, the local big city may vote Democratic, but the GOP would dominate the county...
All the large cities in Ohio [Cincinnati\ Cleveland\ Columbus\ Akron\ Toledo] are voted Blue as well as the counties they are located in.

Wichita, Kansas however did vote heavily Republican [at least the county].

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
High percentages of union and government workers and welfare recipients will be Democrat. People vote their income (who will give them more money) regardless of beliefs on other issues.

This a small percentage of the sorts who lean Democratic and there are plenty of wealthy and upper-middle class people who vote Democratic (where do you think the term 'limousine liberal' comes from), and beyond the scope of this thread (why people vote either Republican or Democrat).

Old 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,927,090 times
I believe Cincinnati still votes majority republican (but only by a small about), Hamilton County definitely does. They both voted for Obama though, but normally it's republican. SW Ohio is very red and conservative while NE Ohio is mainly blue and liberal.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,879 times
Yea I'm pretty sure Cincinnati (the city itself) went for Bush both times, correct me if I'm wrong though.

The last election was a pretty strong win for the Democrats and I don't think we'll see them win by as large a margin again in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if many cities with a large number of blue-collar whites start voting much more Republican, especially with the power of labor unions greatly dieing down. Cities like Pittsburgh and Buffalo are already trending right and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for the GOP in three or four more presidential elections. I think Cinci will also return to voting for the GOP in 2012, as well as cities like Grand Rapids, Omaha, Indianapolis, etc.

Large Sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Pheonix, Tampa, Charlotte, etc will only be becoming more and more liberal, though. I think in twenty-thirty years or so we could be seeing a completely different political spectrum with the the old rust belt and northeast largely supporting a fiscally conservative, socially liberal thats more libertarian and capitalistic party while the sunbelt supports a socially conservative, fiscally more centralized party.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post

traditional yes, conservative no. Students come from all over, including liberal Northern cities. Old money tends to be socially liberal anyways, even though they give off a very traditional vibe.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,348,306 times
i was just scanning some of these posts, and found them interesting. to me, memphis and shelby county is an interesting area, when it comes to politics. currently, they have a white, jew who is a newly re-elected representative, who ran against the former mayor of memphis, who is black and resigned his unfinished 4th term, in order to run against rep. cohen, who was in office for about 17 or so years. he was the first elected black mayor of the city, and he wanted to represent this majority black district, mainly because, according to the former mayor, a white man cannot fully represent the full interests of blacks. i guess he didn't feel that same conviction, while representing a city of 700,000+. w/ regard to memphis, basically, it is pretty much a democratic enclave; however, it is surrounded by wealthy, powerful, and influential suburbs in all of its tn suburbs, and several in its ms suburbs. west memphis is probably heavily democratic, although marion, the city bordering west memphis directly is overwhelmingly republican. the county, which is critteden, would probably identify as democratic, although the county is really changing its demographic, w/ all of the new industry, and the road connections to jonesboro, blytheville, and the likelihood of the third bridge in north memphis. this is going to change so much in demographics, driving times, and the economy for metropolitan memphis. more auto industry is expected to join what is already in maron, jonesboro is growing by leaps and bounds, more chemical plants are coming, and more railroad tie-ins into the intermodal facility in memphis and the huge intermodal facility bordering the new beltway. w/ the transplants coming into the area in all of the metro area for jobs---germans, swedes, northerners, hispanics particularly---will eventually have a pretty large impact on the area and its political thinking. memphis continues to hold, by request of the corporations, one a fortune 500, its release of two massive relocation announcements to shelby county. possibly, a third relocation of a national headquarters from the west coast, too. again, the size and number of these opportunities will change a great deal about the political thinking, lifestyles, and so forth. finally, i think the area has a definite friend to this area, who can, does, and will call in a good deal of favors for his state, particularly, metro south memphis. ms has already gone through tremendous regional political power shifts. desoto has just about taken over mid to all of north ms. growth in ms represented, thanks to the south metro area of memphis, almost 3/4's of the total state growth. that growth, by the way, has been determined to have come from southern ms and inmigration and international migration. it is no longer significant shifting of residents from the memphis city proper.

i have to say that i find it hilarious, when i watch folk in nashville-davdison county-franklin-murfressboro,tn-columbia,tn go off the deep end trying to distance itself from having some elements of republican thought. w/ the number of religious institutions that are a great deal of the hard economy, i'm sure some of the people are republican, after all knoxville, chattanooga, and the cumberland plateau are just two hours away, not to mention how close all of you are to maryville, the tri-cities, etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i have to say that i find it hilarious, when i watch folk in nashville-davdison county-franklin-murfressboro,tn-columbia,tn go off the deep end trying to distance itself from having some elements of republican thought. w/ the number of religious institutions that are a great deal of the hard economy, i'm sure some of the people are republican, after all knoxville, chattanooga, and the cumberland plateau are just two hours away, not to mention how close all of you are to maryville, the tri-cities, etc.
What the hell are you talking about?

Nashville itself is a moderately liberal city. The county is solidly Democratic, although there are still very Republican leaning areas like Belle Meade, Forest Hills, Oak Hill, Goodlettsville, and other parts of south and west Nashville. The County typically runs 55-65% Democratic.

Williamson County, and most especially Brentwood, is very conservative and don't pretend to be anything otherwise. The counties around Nashville ran from 58-70% Republican in the latest election, and recently have produced a fairly popular 'Tea Party' following...

So I don't get what you are saying with the area "distancing itself elements of Republican thought." That is an astoundingly ignorant statement and completely off-base. If you wanted to generalize and say "Nashville" is doing that, you might be a little more accurate...but including the "Franklin-Murfreesboro-Columbia" area to the argument completely ruins that.

And since when were liberals not allowed to contribute to religious institutions? Can liberals not be Christians themselves?

Stop painting with a broad brush. You're making yourself look silly in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.