Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

There is a chance that metro Atlanta and Athens could have a major winter storm starting Sunday night and lasting until Tuesday morning. A lot of it depends on how much cold air gets pulled down the Piedmont in advance. If there's not much cold air wedging, then wintry precipitation will probably be limited to the north Georgia mountains, but if there's a lot, then Macon and Augusta could have some wintry precipitation too. I'd rate the big cities' probability for wintry precipitation as follows, from highest to lowest:

1. Athens
2. Atlanta
3. Augusta
4. Macon

Oddly enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Rome got left out. Whenever cold air comes down the Piedmont, the Appalachian Mountains tend to prevent it from expanding west, so it's not unheard of for there to be wintry precipitation in Atlanta and Athens, but a cold rain in Rome and Chattanooga.

The track of the storm is another variable. If there's already a lot of cold air in place before the storm arrives, then that could push the track south, and north Georgia would miss out. (Think January 19, 2008, when Columbus and Macon got a lot of snow, but Atlanta and Athens did not.)

Anyway, this is just something to keep your eyes open for early next week, starting probably on Sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM

57 posts, read 129,292 times
Thanks for the warning! The one that we had on March 1, 2009 was the pits!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
ahh a major snow storm, huh.... Good I've been wanting to see another flurry or an inch or two of snow

I don't know about Rome though. There have been lots of times in the past where they got hammered but Atlanta mostly missed something.

I remember years back when my sister was at Berry. They would have several inches of snow and power would be out and in Gwinnett we had that cold rain that turned into ice over night.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
I have a meterologist friend who is forecasting snow & ice as far south as middle Georgia (Macon/Warner Robins) Sunday night & all day Monday.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
Well... using weather.com... it looks like the weather will come in more so on monday. Whether or not there is a decent or long accumulation of snow It definitly looks like Atlanta is in for some iced roads on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

The ground will be warm enough to melt all or part of it and the predicted precipitation isn't just snow, but mixed, so it looks likes like we are in for an icey day or two.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM

375 posts, read 1,381,044 times
I was there at Christmas, when gosh by golly a whole 2" fell on the state. But, I see nothing has changed since I left there two years ago - they still can't cope with it.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,022 times
Yeah, and when Glen Burns says stock up for a couple of days... he means it! I sure dread going to the grocery store tomorrow! Good thing I've got firewood! lol

Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
I was there at Christmas, when gosh by golly a whole 2" fell on the state. But, I see nothing has changed since I left there two years ago - they still can't cope with it.

dot already began closing roads

they said they will only tend to interstates and 4 lane highways.

2 lanes and everything else... you are on your own! whooopie

Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Apparently the best way to survive a snowstorm is by eating French toast. Why else would everybody slam the supermarkets to buy up all the bread, milk and eggs in advance of one?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Apparently the best way to survive a snowstorm is by eating French toast. Why else would everybody slam the supermarkets to buy up all the bread, milk and eggs in advance of one?
Won't help when the electricity goes off!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia