Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:58 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmm.....could that be because people plan vacations for when they have a week off, whereas having a day off for MLK day doesn't usually allow for a vacation?
People have plenty of time to take vacation in the summer, and kids get 3 weeks off for Christmas, so they have plenty of opportunities to take a vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Yeah but will they cancel any spring break days ? I doubt it. THey probably value Spring Break over MLK Day. I don't hear a lot of white people up there complaining about going to school on MLK Day but I guarantee you if they cut into spring break they'd be complaining.

Matt, I thought I told you to go home.....

Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,487 times
They are probably going to cut days out of spring break also. Teachers worked today and that will cut out a future teacher work day. Overall, it is the kids who end up suffering because they are behind now. It will be such a scramble to get in material before the CRCT which is in the spring and is the focus once the kids come back to school after the holidays. Either way, the decision will make someone upset. King himself said that "there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular." The school officials are trying to make the best decisions for the kids. When I was in school, we were never out for MLK Day. Yet I still have respect for civil rights and the work King did. Guess everyone will have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM

150 posts, read 481,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Fannin and Gilmer counties are doing this. I have been up there. It is a totally different world than where I live. I wouldn't like living up there.

Good... but anyways whats the big deal. They also don't get off for presidents day in Fannin or Union county so whats the difference. The kids will also miss a few spring break daysand a few other made up holidays may also be missed and kids will have to attend school.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Good... but anyways whats the big deal. They also don't get off for presidents day in Fannin or Union county so whats the difference. The kids will also miss a few spring break daysand a few other made up holidays may also be missed and kids will have to attend school.
I say the best solution is to take a few days from summer vacation. That to me sounds more logical.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I say the best solution is to take a few days from summer vacation. That to me sounds more logical.
Absolutely. I mean don't kids have too long of a summer break anyway ? And 3 weeks for Christmas break plus 1 week for Thanksgiving is just ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
People in GA need all the education days they can get... they already had a week off, so I don't see the big deal about school this Monday. I also don't see how this is racist, sorry.

Last edited by mike7586; 01-14-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
People in GA need all the education days they can get it... they already had a week off, so I don't see the big deal about school this Monday. I also don't see how this is racist, sorry.
Well it makes it seem racist since the school systems that are open on Monday are in areas that are known for their racism and they are the only schools in the entire state open on Monday. I don't see metro schools opening on Monday. That's because there are a lot of black students in metro Atlanta. Black people don't live in the mountains, which is where these school systems are located.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
People in GA need all the education days they can get it... they already had a week off, so I don't see the big deal about school this Monday. I also don't see how this is racist, sorry.
I agree. These counties have already had several more snow days than schools in the metro area.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,433 times
The Presidents Day holiday was taken away before it snowed again on Monday, Jan 11.
Dr. King was an advocate for Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia