Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 PM

201 posts, read 1,122,643 times

Advertisements

What is the deal on bears in Georgia? Any encounters that anyone knows of besides in the Atlanta Zoo?

Last edited by janette moss; 07-21-2007 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: misspelled two words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 10:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,157 times
I have had bear encounters many times when I have gone camping in the north Georgia mountains, north of Helen, Cleveland, and Dahlonega. Every once in a while you will hear of a sighting further south in the Atlanta suburbs, but not too often. Around Atlanta, it's coyotes that are becoming much more common.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Janette,

There is NO need to put so many "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????" in a subject line. To many, that is the same as YELLING and is considered rude and impolite.

And yes, here are bears in Georgia. There are bears in some numbers in pretty much every state except the desert states in the U.S. I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but you've posted several posts where you show an extreme concern for *any* type of animal or insect life you might encounter in a yard or home. You had said before that you'll pretty move put out a movie type scream if you see so much as a bird or squirrel, much less a bear. I would suggest that you buy a condominium on the 8th floor right in the middle of downtown Atlanta, or frankly, you're doomed to die of a heart attack at the first site of anything living other than a human.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Janette,

There is NO need to put so many "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????" in a subject line. To many, that is the same as YELLING and is considered rude and impolite.

And yes, here are bears in Georgia. There are bears in some numbers in pretty much every state except the desert states in the U.S. I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but you've posted several posts where you show an extreme concern for *any* type of animal or insect life you might encounter in a yard or home. You had said before that you'll pretty move put out a movie type scream if you see so much as a bird or squirrel, much less a bear. I would suggest that you buy a condominium on the 8th floor right in the middle of downtown Atlanta, or frankly, you're doomed to die of a heart attack at the first site of anything living other than a human.
I am guilty of screaming when I see critters. I am "beary" sorry atlantagreg30127 didn't mean to be so rude,impolite or loud -- just shocked!) When someone mentioned bears in a quote, I thought they were kidding. I see why you have high "reputation points" -- you are one of the voices of reason on the forum. A condominium on the 8th floor of in the middle of downtown Atlanta sounds like a great idea, if I were married to Donald Trump.

Last edited by janette moss; 07-22-2007 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: add a word

Old 07-22-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I have had bear encounters many times when I have gone camping in the north Georgia mountains, north of Helen, Cleveland, and Dahlonega. Every once in a while you will hear of a sighting further south in the Atlanta suburbs, but not too often. Around Atlanta, it's coyotes that are becoming much more common.
Oh no! I was wondering about them. There was one running across the golf course in Michigan because he didn't have any "balls".

Last edited by janette moss; 07-22-2007 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: left word out

Old 07-22-2007, 05:28 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
What is the deal on bears in Georgia? Any encounters that anyone knows of besides in the Atlanta Zoo?
Yes. It's possible. Read below:

Bear spotted in DeKalb, too

By DAVID MARKIEWICZ
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/11/07

The good folks of Stone Mountain have a message for Cobb County and North Fulton residents all atwitter about their wandering bear.

We've got one, too.

Click the link to read the rest of the story:

Bear spotted in DeKalb, too | ajc.com (broken link)

Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janette moss View Post
I am guilty of screaming when I see critters. I am "beary" sorry atlantagreg30127 didn't mean to be so rude,impolite or loud -- just shocked!) When someone mentioned bears in a quote, I thought they were kidding. I see why you have high "reputation points" -- you are one of the voices of reason on the forum. A condominium on the 8th floor of in the middle of downtown Atlanta sounds like a great idea, if I were married to Donald Trump.
I am laughing because I just heard on the Fox News that a man here in Michigan has a cub pet for a bear and had it in a cage for a child's birthday party for entertainment. You can believe the Humane Society got wind and now they are going to put the cub in the proper housing because he could become 500 lbs.

Last edited by janette moss; 07-22-2007 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: add a word that was left out

Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
Janette.....I have a feeling that you wouldn't be happy down in Coastal Georgia. You would be worried about the alligators that occasionally crawl out of the storm sewers around town.

And if you play golf, they are in the lagoons on the golf courses, which is nice because they get a few of the Canadian Geese that are beginning to like us all year around.

Of of all our critters, I think the worse ones, and the ones to really watch out for are fire ants. They ain't scared of no body!! And unlike bears and other four legged things, all that jumping around and screaming seems to bring on more of them.

And I like the !!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????. It lets everyone know that you really care about the question. It express a feeling that is over and above what plain old ordinary .......... or------------ do.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Janette.....I have a feeling that you wouldn't be happy down in Coastal Georgia. You would be worried about the alligators that occasionally crawl out of the storm sewers around town.

And if you play golf, they are in the lagoons on the golf courses, which is nice because they get a few of the Canadian Geese that are beginning to like us all year around.

Of of all our critters, I think the worse ones, and the ones to really watch out for are fire ants. They ain't scared of no body!! And unlike bears and other four legged things, all that jumping around and screaming seems to bring on more of them.

And I like the !!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????. It lets everyone know that you really care about the question. It express a feeling that is over and above what plain old ordinary .......... or------------ do.
I want to know more about the fire ants. Saw them mentioned in another quote. Does a "once-a-year" extermination take care of the problem? We have geese on the golf course here, but I think these are decendents from the old Michiganian geese. Airfare is probabably too high for the Canadaian Geese to fly to Michigan in this day and time. They landed in Georgia years ago when it was cheaper. The golf course used to be a gaming ground, and they like to claim their territory to let the golfers know that the ponds and greens belonged to them originally. I am a very expressive person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????? I am glad I am not considering the Coastal Georgia -- SEE YOU LATER ALLIGATOR!

Last edited by janette moss; 07-22-2007 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: left word out

Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And I like the !!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????. It lets everyone know that you really care about the question. It express a feeling that is over and above what plain old ordinary .
A feeling such as "Panic"? Overreation? Paranoia, perhaps? SIGH.

Ok, to Janet -

Sure, you can live in a Trump condo if you want. They're about to begin construction of Trump Tower Atlanta on or around 15th Street in Midtown. A 1BR/1BA *starts* at $475,000.00. But you don't have to be wealthy to live in a condo inside the city.

While the average price of a "new" 1BR condo runs in the $165,000 range averaged out, there are older condo units that can be found for less than that. I've even seen older (pre-1989) condos with 2BR/2BA go for as little as $130,000 now and then.

So you see - you can live in a deer free, bear free, bird free, critter free place (you'll still see the occasional spider, though). If you go with a house ANYWHERE in Georgia, I can almost certainly guarantee you that at the very least you're going to see an occasional Coyote, 'Possum, or Ground hog. So stop screaming - they don't want to eat you (well, most of them, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia