Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM

28 posts, read 102,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My family is considering a relocation to either TN or GA (for the same reasons as most Floridians...high crime, high cost-of-living, overcrowding) and I am really liking what I've read/seen about NW Georgia. I would like a small town with its own identity (not just a suberb). Rural is fine, but not so rural that I'd have to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store or restaurant. The following towns are those that I'm strongly considering...

Trenton
Ft. Oglethorpe (possibly at the top of my list because it is a little big larger)
Ringgold
LaFayette
Fairview

We will be visiting in April, but I was hoping to get some insight into these towns. Are they safe? How are the schools? Is there some shopping in these areas (amall not needed)? What do you like and dislike about each of the towns?

Any info would be SO appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM

102 posts, read 504,274 times
Default We are also moving to NW GA area...

we visited there over Thanksgiving weekend and will be back in Mar/Apr. to choose a home. This is what we found:

LaFayette and Ft. Ogelthorpe are nice, have everything you want. Trenton is nice, a little harder to get to as you have to go over the mountain to get there. Beautiful drive though. Chickamauga (not on your list) is a great town.

Overall, we found the NW corner of GA to be great. EVERYONE we met was so nice. And I sincerely mean that. I have met some folks here on this site and am anxious to get down there to meet them face-to-face. Talk to Stephanie at Walker County Chamber of Commerce....she is very sweet and has lived in Walker County all of her life. She will be very helpful. Good luck on your search. Feel free to PM me and I can email you more info that I have found in my search. Just call me can'twaittomovetochickamauga...

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111tmw View Post
Hello all!

My family is considering a relocation to either TN or GA (for the same reasons as most Floridians...high crime, high cost-of-living, overcrowding) and I am really liking what I've read/seen about NW Georgia. I would like a small town with its own identity (not just a suberb). Rural is fine, but not so rural that I'd have to drive 20 minutes to a grocery store or restaurant. The following towns are those that I'm strongly considering...

Trenton
Ft. Oglethorpe (possibly at the top of my list because it is a little big larger)
Ringgold
LaFayette
Fairview

We will be visiting in April, but I was hoping to get some insight into these towns. Are they safe? How are the schools? Is there some shopping in these areas (amall not needed)? What do you like and dislike about each of the towns?

Any info would be SO appreciated!!
Ft. Oglethorpe is pretty nice from the one time I saw it. You don't want to live in Ringgold or Dalton because the illegals there that only speak Espanol outnumber the natives about 10 to 1. The others I do not know about.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:12 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,630,998 times
in your search, do consider Chickamauga as one option, since it is a lovely, historic (Civil War) town that will still be proximate to Ft. Oglethorpe and Chattanooga.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:21 PM

99 posts, read 178,346 times
Default We love Ringgold

The wife and I just moved to Ringgold in June 07. We like it so much that we
now own rentals in the area. Someone said something about illegals in Ringgold,
we have not seen any.
Races in Ringgold:

White Non-Hispanic (90.3%)
Black (6.3%)
Hispanic (1.8%)
Two or more races (1.0%)
Other race (0.6%)
American Indian (0.5%)

You mite give Ringgold a look see.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 161,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneFolks View Post
The wife and I just moved to Ringgold in June 07. We like it so much that we
now own rentals in the area. Someone said something about illegals in Ringgold,
we have not seen any.
Races in Ringgold:

White Non-Hispanic (90.3%)
Black (6.3%)
Hispanic (1.8%)
Two or more races (1.0%)
Other race (0.6%)
American Indian (0.5%)

You mite give Ringgold a look see.

That's interesting that you brought that up...when I read "Ringgold", the first thought that popped into my head was "illegal aliens". For the life of me, I cannot recall why...must've read about it somewhere.

I do recall that Ringgold is the "marriage capital of Georgia" because all these Tennessee hillbillies drag their 14-year-old pregnant girlfriends over the state line to take advantage of Georgia's low age-of-consent marriage laws.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM

49 posts, read 247,995 times
We are considering Ringgold also, wanting out of Florida because of high cost, no jobs and ALL the illegals, now you're scaring me. But.....we are having a hard time finding a rental, since we are out of staters. But I keep hoping!

Viki

Old 02-25-2008, 06:31 PM

102 posts, read 504,274 times
Viki....contact some realtors in the area. They may be able to help you with rentals or check out the Walker County Messenger. That is the local newspaper for LaFayette/Chickamauga area. I would stay to the west side of I-75 to keep away from some of the problems you mentioned. The two times we have been down there we have seen not one immigrant. Really. We are coming back down this weekend to hopefully seal a deal on a home. If you need more info, feel free to PM me and I will try to help. I am a huge fan of Walker County, GA. :-)

Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoviki73 View Post
We are considering Ringgold also, wanting out of Florida because of high cost, no jobs and ALL the illegals, now you're scaring me. But.....we are having a hard time finding a rental, since we are out of staters. But I keep hoping!

Viki
Ringgold is a nice little mountain town. Ft. Oglethorpe is nice too, although a bit larger with more to do.
Just depends on what you want. I actually live in Jasper now, but have been to Ringgold many times and don't recall seeing many illegals. Dalton is a different story. Stay away from there!Don't think you will find many jobs in Ringgold. You may have to travel to TN.It's not far though.
As far as the rentals, just check with a local realtor.
Jasper and Chickamauga are nice too. Although more redneckish. Especially Chickamauga!That may not even bother you. But, thought I'd mention it.
Hope everything works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia