Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM

35 posts, read 101,303 times

Advertisements

Cloumbus is larger than Macon and does have some things going for it,but it still feels smaller and slower.when things come to GA(retail,restaurants)they come in this order Atlanta,Augusta,Savannah,Macon then Columbus.As a whole i would say they are on the same level,behind Augusta and Savannah all three looking at Atlanta from a distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,532,569 times
Columbus is the 3rd largest to correct, Augusta is consolidated don't forget which makes them second, the thing is augusta has a metro and augusta isnt the only thing around it has peir cities and more to do, Atlanta Augusta Savannah are first, then columbus then Macon.... Columbus has no outer city its alone in the dark down that empty scEnic route and waaayyyy off track until they stretch I-185 toward florida, If they finish I-185 and built more out of the city and in cussetta or north in the scenic area, then Columbus will be better, Macon on the other hand has a back ground aswell is wide open On I-75 where it has an oppurtunity to become better and their are a lot of cities around it, they are building many things now in macon and have more shopping than columbus and they border warner robins. Macon has built a lot of shopping plazas and malls plus little stations and are building plazas far bigger than Columbus's on the south end split of I-475 and I-75.... Columbus is the only major city with one interstate the rest have2 or more, and the sad part is columbus is on an auxilirary interstate. Plus its the only city with no skyline..... So based on this Macon wins, Augusta and Savannah already won, Even Albany has a better background, plus Tallahassee and Athens, so forget populatiion and think about how the city looks and who visits and how many visit....+ skyline/ IMEAN IF YOURE SUCH A BIG CITY U SHODA USED THE MARKET TO BUILD SOME HIGHRISES, DUUUHHH, the samllest city can have the best things(new orleans)

Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM

Default The smallest city can have the biggest things

welp ive noticed the biggest cites in georgia have a small skyline, but the smallest ities have better skylines. Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, VINNINGS, Smyrna, Florida beaches are smallcities but their skylines go over miles...................

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 PM

5 posts, read 15,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tier View Post
I've just joined this forum but before I joined I really read alot of the threads, Georgia ones In particular, and I've noticed that alot of people try to compare Macon to Columbus, which in my opinion is comparing penny to a dollar..... I just want to know why so many Maconites try to argue that Macon is on the same level as Columbus? It amuses me actually..
Cause both Macon and Columbus are ghetto. I mean honestly. Obviously you have never been to Columbus. It has as many nice parts as Macon does. And plus people would prefer to go to Macon because they have more activities and history rather than Columbus.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 PM

5 posts, read 15,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
welp ive noticed the biggest cites in georgia have a small skyline, but the smallest ities have better skylines. Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, VINNINGS, Smyrna, Florida beaches are smallcities but their skylines go over miles...................
What do you mean? They skyline would be as big as the town is.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Exactly. But its still epic

Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Columbus is the 3rd largest to correct, Augusta is consolidated don't forget which makes them second, the thing is augusta has a metro and augusta isnt the only thing around it has peir cities and more to do, Atlanta Augusta Savannah are first, then columbus then Macon.... Columbus has no outer city its alone in the dark down that empty scEnic route and waaayyyy off track until they stretch I-185 toward florida, If they finish I-185 and built more out of the city and in cussetta or north in the scenic area, then Columbus will be better, Macon on the other hand has a back ground aswell is wide open On I-75 where it has an oppurtunity to become better and their are a lot of cities around it, they are building many things now in macon and have more shopping than columbus and they border warner robins. Macon has built a lot of shopping plazas and malls plus little stations and are building plazas far bigger than Columbus's on the south end split of I-475 and I-75.... Columbus is the only major city with one interstate the rest have2 or more, and the sad part is columbus is on an auxilirary interstate. Plus its the only city with no skyline..... So based on this Macon wins, Augusta and Savannah already won, Even Albany has a better background, plus Tallahassee and Athens, so forget populatiion and think about how the city looks and who visits and how many visit....+ skyline/ IMEAN IF YOURE SUCH A BIG CITY U SHODA USED THE MARKET TO BUILD SOME HIGHRISES, DUUUHHH, the samllest city can have the best things(new orleans)

First, How can Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah all be first? Atlanta is lightyears ahead of any other city in Georgia.The next tier would be Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, and Macon.

Secondly, based on what Macon wins? Didn't know it was a winner or loser in comparing two 2nd tier cities but your logic seems unrealistic if you're comparing cities based off interstates and shopping plazas.

Lastly, what on earth are you talking about when you call New Orleans the smallest city with the best things????....

Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
You guys trip me out...

Atlanta is well...Atlanta. 'Nuff said.
Augusta is the next largest, but it is by itself and has no real tourism.
Savannah, Columbus, and Macon are about the same size, but Savannah is old, historic, and has mega-tourism in its pocket.

Each city has its niche, but of all of them, Columbus and Macon are the most similar. Augusta is bigger than both, Savannah is hipper and more touristy than both.

Flip side: Columbus and Macon have much more inexpensive housing than Savannah and are closer to Atlanta than Augusta when you need a real city.

Each has its up and down side.

In reality, we need to work together to get business to come to GA first and then fight about which corner to woo them to.

Good day to all!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:59 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I cant wait til the Fall Line Freeway is complete, then it would being easier to travel to the other Fall Line cities from Augusta.
Dont hold your breath. That will never happen...

Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
You guys trip me out...

Atlanta is well...Atlanta. 'Nuff said.
Augusta is the next largest, but it is by itself and has no real tourism.
Savannah, Columbus, and Macon are about the same size, but Savannah is old, historic, and has mega-tourism in its pocket.
Hold on there a minute. Augusta actually does have tourism in the form of golf. Believe it or not, it has some history to it as well. (Where is Norton when I need him?)

Second, Savannah compared with Macon and Columbus does not equate the same size. Here are some new number estimates to look at to back that up..
Scroll down to see Georgia cities.
Population of New York City area reaches 19 million - The Business Journals
Looks to me as if Savannah and Augusta are pulling away from Macon and Columbus and Athens and Gainesville aren't far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia