Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:05 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times

Advertisements

Michael Moore is about ignorant as Al Sharpton and all the other Davis supporters;

Michael Moore calls for boycott over Davis execution - News Story - WSB Atlanta

They both need to read up on the facts, two excellent sources here;

There Is No Travesty of Justice in Georgia. Execute Troy Davis | RedState

Mumia's the Word - Page 1 - Ann Coulter - Townhall Conservative

Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Haha because Ann Coulter is excellent at understanding and communicating facts.

While I am very concerned at what Michael Moore is saying, I'm even more concerned at at Coulter ignoring the set of facts that led to many people becoming concerned that he might actually be innocent. She didn't mention one of them in her editorial. Probably because they weren't convenient to her argument... oh well perfect reason to ignore facts.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Haha because Ann Coulter is excellent at understanding and communicating facts.

While I am very concerned at what Michael Moore is saying, I'm even more concerned at at Coulter ignoring the set of facts that led to many people becoming concerned that he might actually be innocent. She didn't mention one of them in her editorial. Probably because they weren't convenient to her argument... oh well perfect reason to ignore facts.
Did you really read both articles, there is overwhelming testimonial evidence that he WAS guilty. All the defense theories were debunked. Why do you think the appeals judge called it smoke and mirrors.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Did you really read both articles, there is overwhelming testimonial evidence that he WAS guilty. All the defense theories were debunked. Why do you think the appeals judge called it smoke and mirrors.
Oh I actually read them... and I sadly lost a few brain cells doing it.

First... Lets get something straight. I'm not actually arguing that he was innocent. I'm arguing a large portion of the prosecutions case has erroded over time bring more "doubt" on whether or not he was guilty.

I would much rather him have been in jail, rather than put a man to death where there was increasing doubt.

Secondly, the Coulter article doesn't really try to introduce facts. The red state article does, but it fails to document them and address the concerns people have.

The prosecution has 9 key eye witnesses from the vicinity of the shooting itself. 7 of those 9 have recanted their testimony. It is easy to always fall back on the testimony of the 2 of 9, but the ultimate problem is those 7 all have a very similar story to tell. They felt (or directly were) threatened by the police to say exactly what the police wanted to hear. That is the problem with doubt... problems like this bring doubt. How am I suppose to know if the other two key witnesses went through the same thing, but are too afraid or two proud to come back... or perhaps they were the only real witnesses to begin with. The problem is, because of the poor actions that clearly happened in this case a long time ago... There is doubt.

But I guess that is just hoo-haa and smoke and mirrors to people who are so desperate to defend the death penalty they ignore the gray areas of reality...they ignore doubt and try to turn everything into a very black and white world.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:44 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Michael Moore is about ignorant as Al Sharpton and all the other Davis supporters;

Michael Moore calls for boycott over Davis execution - News Story - WSB Atlanta

They both need to read up on the facts, two excellent sources here;

There Is No Travesty of Justice in Georgia. Execute Troy Davis | RedState

Mumia's the Word - Page 1 - Ann Coulter - Townhall Conservative
Irony: Linking to the WSB story, and seeing an ad from Southwest airlines advertising low fares from Atlanta.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM

Unfortunately two groups twisted this for their agenda, the anti-death penalty types and the race-baiting types. I didn't concern myself with either subject in any of my posts on this thread or on the others. I pointed out my personal beliefs regarding the death panalty in another Davis thread.

Now notwithstanding his sentence or his race, the facts as they are known have been presented. There seems to be a lack of acknowledgement of those facts in a lot of media coverage and lots of denial on the part of people in the two camps I mentioned. If people would seek out the facts they might truly be enlightened.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately two groups twisted this for their agenda, the anti-death penalty types and the race-baiting types. I didn't concern myself with either subject in any of my posts on this thread or on the others. I pointed out my personal beliefs regarding the death panalty in another Davis thread.

Now notwithstanding his sentence or his race, the facts as they are known have been presented. There seems to be a lack of acknowledgement of those facts in a lot of media coverage and lots of denial on the part of people in the two camps I mentioned. If people would seek out the facts they might truly be enlightened.
but there seems to be a lack of acknowledgment of the other facts that have come up and were conveniently not discussed accurately in those op-eds you posted.

This isn't just about being against the death penalty or just about race. This at the end of the day is about doubt and doubt about the innocence or guilt of a man put to death is a dangerous thing.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
but there seems to be a lack of acknowledgment of the other facts that have come up and were conveniently not discussed accurately in those op-eds you posted.

This isn't just about being against the death penalty or just about race. This at the end of the day is about doubt and doubt about the innocence or guilt of a man put to death is a dangerous thing.
I'd agree that we disagree. I, just as many others, see little or no doubt based on the facts. I've been known to express very little faith and confidence in government and courts, but I believe, and agiain, as many others do, that the courts ruled appropriately and accordingly in this instance.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:41 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
One thing I know:
I am 100 % pro death penalty. A certain segment of our society wears jail time as a "badge of honor", but that certain segment does not view lethal injection the same way. 'nuff said.

A couple of things I think:
Based on what I have read I think Davis killed that cop. But I also think that when any cop is shot the authorities involved tend to be overzealous in their methods to achieve a conviction. With that being said, I am not sure what the difference is between lethal injection and life in prison. They were never going to over turn that conviction .. at best it was going to be life in prison without any chance of parole. Davis would never be free again. Seriously, what is the difference between a life sentence and a death sentence? 20 years? Was Davis going to cure cancer from his prison cell? Was he going to be a positive influence on any human being? I think not.
Was justice served? I really do not know. But if these headlines deter one person from killing another person then it works for me.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
I was against this verdict particularly because these so called "facts" aren't backed up with DNA evidence, merely from witness testimony (which clearly weren't reliable sources). He may have been guilty, not saying he was innocent, BUT was he, without ANY doubt guilty? No. Regardless of what the courts said, there should be a law in Georgia banning the death penalty for cases without backed up DNA evidence... at a minimum. Honestly, I would much rather have a complete ban on the death penalty altogether.

As for Michael Moore's call for a boycott on Georgia. This is an extreme measure and would, if this were to really happen, affect people who had absolutely nothing to do with the case and in some cases, hurts those who believe what he believes. In other words, yes, this is quite ignorant. This IS Michael Moore we're talking about though... (whom in most cases makes liberals look very bad)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia