Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 AM

55 posts, read 194,718 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from California and one of the possibilities is a transfer for my husband to Georgia in the Norcross area. I've heard that Norcross is not a great landing place because of crime.

We have 9 children at home, 2 are married and on their own. One or both of our older sons may look into relocating after we decide where we are going. We are looking for a large house with a little bit of space. We are hoping for under 200K. We homeschool but it is good to have decent schools in the area because it tends to make for a better neighborhood. Right now we live in one of the worst school districts and the neighborhood reflects that.

Other than choosing not to live in Georgia at all, I really have heard all the negatives, we would like to hear where the best and most affordable areas are. We prefer a more rural area within reasonable driving distance to Norcross.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessings11 View Post
We are planning to move from California and one of the possibilities is a transfer for my husband to Georgia in the Norcross area. I've heard that Norcross is not a great landing place because of crime.

We have 9 children at home, 2 are married and on their own. One or both of our older sons may look into relocating after we decide where we are going. We are looking for a large house with a little bit of space. We are hoping for under 200K. We homeschool but it is good to have decent schools in the area because it tends to make for a better neighborhood. Right now we live in one of the worst school districts and the neighborhood reflects that.

Other than choosing not to live in Georgia at all, I really have heard all the negatives, we would like to hear where the best and most affordable areas are. We prefer a more rural area within reasonable driving distance to Norcross.
Thanks for your help!

Outside of Norcross, good schools, better neighborhood, etc.
You will not find a large home with the above parameters for less than 200K, actually you will be hardpressed to find on less than 300K.

Prices are going up, up, up here. If you want to be close to Norcross, but not in Norcross (don't blame you) then Duluth may be a good bet or further north. Again, the home prices will be higher than 200K.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:29 PM

148 posts, read 951,547 times
Default Norcross

From my point of view, Norcross is quite divided as to families on the lower end of the income scale, and then families on the higher end of the income scale.

New high schools are going up everywhere, but Norcross High School is, or used to be, located just east of Buford Highway. Atlanta is growing so fast it's hard to keep up with all of the rapid changes.

This is a somewhat blighted area. Travel eight to ten miles to the northwest and many new subdivisions along Peachtree Parkway, with a Norcross mailing address, have homes $400,000dollars plus.

Quality, large homes under 200k are pretty much non-existent, unless you're living 50 miles from downtown.

Metro Atlanta comprises 13 counties, and as a rule homes on the south side are less expensive.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Then is what I'm seeing online not "inline" with current prices? I've seen many in Lawrenceville and Lilburn for less than 200K. We aren't looking for a huge house, we've managed nicely for many years in a 4 bedroom house with under 2000 square feet. We'd like 2500 square feet if possible An older home in an older community is fine too, I just want safety. I also don't want to be able to wave at my neighbor from my bedroom window! I'm friendly, but not that friendly. If we had to we could carry a small mortgage but we'd really like to not do that if possible.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:54 PM

985 posts, read 5,759,052 times
Some part of Lawrenceville, Lilburn are pretty nice (in PeachTree Ridge school district). But there are other places that has a lot more crimes. Illegal immigrants is big problem in Gwinnett county. Like I said in other posts, there is reason for low price. Check out Scan gwinnett for crime report.

By the way, I agree Zelia. West Norcross is very nice along the forum on Parkway. Very close to famous Atlanta athletic club (host many US open and PGA championships). Those are probably some of most expensive properties in Gwinnett county.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:51 PM

985 posts, read 5,759,052 times
blessings11, just thought something. Maybe you can try some of subdivisons on the border of Suwanee and Duluth along peachtree industrial road. There are a couple of subdivisions build early 90 sold for under 200,000. Also, there are a couple of "cheaper" subdivisions in that region sold between 200,000 to 230,000.
Those subdivisions are surround 300,000 and 400,000 subdivisions.

Drive to Norcross is around 30 to 40 minutes.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 82,671 times
I'd say your best bet is to find a rel estate agent to help you. Find a good buyer's agent.

It's true that it might be difficult to immediately find something under $200K in a good school district but every seller has unique circumstances as to why they're moving. Several can afford to sit on their property until they get their non-negotiable, hard-set price. However - others have a need to sell quickly and are willing to sell for less than most other houses in the good neighborhood are going for - due to job transfer, financial hardships, etc...

Good deals can be found every day. The longer you have to look the better off you are.

When there's a will, there's a way. I think it's good to start from YES WE CAN and then figure out how rather than, NO - NOT GONNA' HAPPEN and have to settle for less than what you want or need.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

Old 09-09-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Thanks!

You have all been very helpful. I will continue to read this board because I am learning a lot about our hopefully future home. My husband has resumes out in many spots but Georgia is first choice for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia