Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 PM

7 posts, read 23,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sention View Post
I am looking to move from Miami to GA in order to get away from the city life but I dont really know where to look. Im looking in the price range of 250k or less and would like a lot of at least 2 acres.

Any ideas on where I should look?
Pickens County (Jasper), Lumpkin County (Dahlonega), and Dawson County (Dawsonville), are all areas north of Atlanta that offer affordable housing of the type you are after, while providing relatively convenient access to jobs / Atlanta. It's slightly harder to come by these types of properties in neighboring Cherokee County (Canton / Woodstock) and Forsyth County (Cumming) which are closer to Atlanta, but you might have some luck if you look to the northern parts of these counties.

Even in Pickens, Dawson, etc. the number of homes that match your criteria is somewhat restricted, but definitely available. Many are slightly older (twenty-years or more) or need work, but there are also a number that are newer, and have the 4 or more bedrooms and 2+ acres you are after. Depending on whether you are willing and / or able to do some work on the home, foreclosures are sometimes a way to find more house for your money as well.

Much of North Georgia is still typically friendly and semi-rural, although showing a strong growth trend over the past five or six years that is likely to have a long term impact. I have lived in Pickens County for more than twenty-years, so have been witness to the change (much of it good, some of it bad). One upside to the growth is improving school systems and community offerings. We are still well removed from "city life", as many of our cities are small and traffic is light (the city of Jasper, county seat of Pickens County, for example, has a population of only around 3,000 people).

The climate up this way is moderate, with four definite seasons (occasional snow, but not enough to cause much of a problem). Setting in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains provides topography ranging from level, to sloping, to mountainous, with plentiful creeks, streams, lakes and forests for outdoor recreation . . . and Atlanta only an hour away for "big city" entertainment and recreation, if desired.

I will be glad to provide any additional info on the area or answer specific questions you might have. Good luck with your plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 06:42 PM

10 posts, read 26,076 times
Default have you looked at Alabama?

Alabama's home prices and property taxes are much cheaper than Georgia. You might be surprised at what you find.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 41,858 times
Check out Valdosta GA

Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 AM

64 posts, read 233,547 times
I was raised in Colorado, spent a few years around Portland, OR, but live most of my adult life in the western suburbs of Chicago. I was transferred to the Gulf coast of Florida in 1990. We are planning an early retirement and decided we wanted to be "halfbacks". We wanted the four seasons back. We didn't want the Chicago winters but a little snow would be okay. We looked at Asheville, NC and it's surrounding areas and then we found north Georgia. What a find! We love the Pickens county area. We fell in love with Jasper and Talking Rock. We purchased a 1 acre homesite and will be moving and building our new home as soon as we can sell our home here. Can't wait to smell the sweet Georgia pines again.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,617 times
I love central GA! We have a 4 bed 2.5 bath house on 5 acres for sale... Priced to sell quickly at $115,000. Ready to move in! Email GloryBoundFarm99@aol.com for more info.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 97,307 times
Check out Whitfield county Georgia. $250K will get you 2500+ sq ft on 3+ acres in the golf course subdivision just north of Dalton. You would be 80 miles north of Atlanta and about 30 miles south of Chattanooga.
The Highland Forest subdivision has a great family atmosphere, kids still play pick up ball games at the large park and ride their bikes to the subdivision swimming pool.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:55 PM

96 posts, read 424,696 times
Default Buy my 4 bedroom/ 2 bath /1.27 wooded acres/mtn. views

We hate it here..Too many rednecks & yardbirds with guns.

Even in Pickens, Dawson, etc. the number of homes that match your criteria is somewhat restricted, but definitely available. Many are slightly older (twenty-years or more) or need work, but there are also a number that are newer, and have the 4 or more bedrooms and 2+ acres you are after. Depending on whether you are willing and / or able to do some work on the home, foreclosures are sometimes a way to find more house for your money as well.

Much of North Georgia is still typically friendly and semi-rural, although showing a strong growth trend over the past five or six years that is likely to have a long term impact. I have lived in Pickens County for more than twenty-years, so have been witness to the change (much of it good, some of it bad). One upside to the growth is improving school systems and community offerings. We are still well removed from "city life", as many of our cities are small and traffic is light (the city of Jasper, county seat of Pickens County, for example, has a population of only around 3,000 people).

The climate up this way is moderate, with four definite seasons (occasional snow, but not enough to cause much of a problem). Setting in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains provides topography ranging from level, to sloping, to mountainous, with plentiful creeks, streams, lakes and forests for outdoor recreation . . . and Atlanta only an hour away for "big city" entertainment and recreation, if desired.

I will be glad to provide any additional info on the area or answer specific questions you might have. Good luck with your plans.[/quote]

Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Contrary...

Contrary to what this 'Duns' guy says, the only problem in Jasper is the lack of good law enforcement here. These mountain folk can shoot their guns 24/7, let their nasty muts run wild, etc..Whenever you want to move somewhere you're not familiar with, just subscribe to the local paper there and read the 'crime section'. Yep, there's crime all over, but you wouldn't believe the amount per capita here in Jasper. Just call the Pickens Progress. I've lived here much longer than 20 years and I promise, I won't blame this town's woes on the newcomers, that's the easy way out!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Default 2 year old home..

Our home is 2 years old and located in Jasper, Ga.. It is a 4 br/2bath with a finished basement/m granite countertops/ sodded yard/on 1.27 acres with mountain views. Asking price is 218,900. My email is denero126@hotmail.com My name is Ron. Our home is listed on REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale . Just put the zip code in, 30143, and the price range of between 200,000-225,000 and we have multiple photos there, Thanks, Ron

Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 PM

Sention, we live in Jasper, Ga., 70 minutes from downtown on 1 highway. We currently have it listed for 218,900. It is a 4br/2ba 2 year old home with 1 & 1/3 acres. Finished basement with full mountain views. Even if you don't buy ours, it's beautiful up here with very little crime. Pure country living..my e-mail is denero126@hotmail.com if I can answer any other questions. I've been in Ga. for 40 years and know most of the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia