Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 12,876 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had some input on what rural(but not too rural) cities in Georgia an Adult Day Service would survive and have enough elderly people in the area so business would succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,453 times
Just my thought on this. I recon most elder Georgians aren't going to take too kindly to being in an "Adult Daycare"; nor do I think their children would like that idea much either.

Most elderly people that need assisted living tend to live in assisted living facilities in and around the Atlanta area. The elderly people of the more rural areas of Georgia are fiercely independent. You ain't going to shove them on a bus and take them to feed the fish in Lake Burton. They'd soon as die of a heart attack taking care of their land in 90 degree heat, before one of their kids is going to sign them up for a babysitting service.

In fact, my Grampa made it real clear to me that he wanted to die on his land (outside Atlanta) when I came to visit him. He didn't have much land, but he liked growing some tomatos, apples, pears, and a few other things in his garden out back. This 88 year old man with a very weak heart grabbed my arm and said "come here, I want to show you sump'n". He proceded to walk me around his land showing me what he had planted this season. Grampa knew his garden was doing about as good as he was, but IT WAS STILL HIS!!! Old man to young man, standing in his garden, he said "I know your momma worries about me; I know she don't want me to die. But, I'm going to die, and I'm going to die very soon. I'm begging you, don't let your momma take take me off my land; this here is where I want to die. Do you understand?" Yes, I understood. I took this message to my mother and her sister, and plead my grampa's wishes to them with all the passion I could muster. My grampa got his wish, he got to die on his land.

Just my thought on this; don't know what others think.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 12,872 times

Hi, Dione! Look up the demographics of Ashburn, GA. A "Senior Day Center" is much needed here (as are many other things). There are many people that would help out, if you should need it. Sounds like your idea fits this community to a "T"!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 60,065 times
We have a thriving Adult Day Care Center in Blue Ridge, GA. It's located next door to the nursing home. The older population loves it! They also like the Senior Center where they get together and do crafts, watch movies, eat, etc.

Try a place similar to this where there is hardly anything to do for the elderly and the kids have moved away for better jobs and left mom or pop all alone.

Good luck~

Old 09-29-2006, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 60,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
They'd soon as die of a heart attack taking care of their land in 90 degree heat, before one of their kids is going to sign them up for a babysitting service.
Oh have you got this wrong. These are not babysitting services. These folks provide the elderly with badly needed company, food and health care. Not everyone is like Grampa was for you. Most grandkids leave home and never go back, at least in our rural area of GA. Why you ask? Because there's nothing to do here, no jobs and expensive housing and no one wants to work the land anymore. We lost all our farms and just have the little farmer selling produce in one part of the county. Even he goes north to buy most of the produce.

But I'll tell ya, I just had the best saurkra*t ever and paid $5 a quart for it. Homemade and delish. Since when is Saurkr*ut a bad word? lol censorship at it's finest! Shall I say I dare eat it on weiners? Oops is that a bad word too? Okay, pickled cabbage is saurk*aut

Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 12,867 times
Default adult day care centers

what information were you able to obtain about opening a center?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,698 times
Default Deone & Prichard

Deone -

Good luck. There probably is a need for this type of service in GA. No insight on where. Just wanted to wish you luck. Perhaps doing some sort of mass mailing (does AARP sell/rent their lists?) will save you the money/aggravation of relocating & a good idea on pockets where you're needed? Just a thought...

Prichard -

I actually agree with you, too. Older folks in certain regions, (deep south & New England, in particular) are fiercely independant. My Grandmother/father, living seperately, died in their own houses & my Mother will do the same. But, don't forget that as folks have travelled all over the states, it's not just locals that live in any area.

Some people can afford to be a bit more independant as their churches are more community oriented & look after their members. Small community rural neighbors there looked after others. I saw that in parts of MS. If older folks aren't church oriented (& not all are for a variety of reasons), then they sometimes know they need assisted care, either at home, in adult day facilities or assisted living. My grandparents actually sound like your grampa. In their day, when you went into the hospital, you didn't come home. So, no one was going to take either of them anywhere, day facilities or otherwise. Must be in the genes, as I'm sure I'll have that Celt stubbornness in the end, as well...

Good luck, Deone. Keep us posted on what you decide... Baltic_Celt

Old 11-20-2006, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 12,861 times
Wink adult daycare for young adults

I am searching for adult daycares specific for young adults...I have not found any that focus on the needs of young people...I am attempting to design such a program...any suggestions??

Old 11-25-2006, 03:25 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,080,925 times
We just put my grandmother in an adult center here in Georgia.I was kinda wondering if anyone had any other prices per month that's going out to these places.My grandmothers is running 2500 hundred a month.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,853 times
I have called around and checked into doing this myself and there is a great need for elderly day care centers. I would have loved to drop my grandmother off instead of having to put her in a personal care home. Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deone Francois View Post
I was wondering if anyone had some input on what rural(but not too rural) cities in Georgia an Adult Day Service would survive and have enough elderly people in the area so business would succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia