Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 13,666 times

Advertisements

Can anyone supply a list of the most segregated towns and cities of the state?

It sickens me that this type of stuff still goes on in the year of 2009.

I am looking to move to Georgia (close to either Atlanta or Savannah) with my boyfriend. We are originally from Richmond, VA. We plan on having children in the future. The children will be mixed, he is white I am black.

Our price range is around $300,000-500,000. We both are interested in a "small town" type of feel. We like this way of life. I'd prefer a house with lots of acreage. My husband and me enjoy fishing. I don't mind driving for quite a while to get to and from places. As long as the scenery is beautiful. Please recommended towns that are racially diverse and not segregated. We don't want anyone bothering us because of our relationship. I don't mind confederate flags, it has gotten to a point where it just doesn't bother me anymore.

I would also like some information on schools. As I said before, we plan on having children in the future. Are Georgia schools good? Which areas have the better schools. Savannah or Atlanta?

We both work from home. So we won't have to worry about frantic job searching because I know finding jobs can be a hassle especially down here.

And anything else y'all would like to know just let me know ad I will gladly give you more information.

Also I have family near Villa Rica. Haven't stayed there long. But can anyone go into depth about this area?

Another area that I am interested in is either Bowdon or Greenville. They both seem to be very lovely areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,699 times
waltzinginmoonlight "Segregation?"

I have lived in Villa Rica before I moved to Douglasville to be closer to my job. I have to say I like Villa Rica alot better. As far as your question on segergation I know there are alot of white and black couples in both cities. But by not being in that relationship myself I'm not sure if they face any difficulties (but I would hope not.) Just be carefull both towns are full of crime. It is hard to live in any city with in 40 miles of Atlanta with out crime from the city. My husband and I are looking to move soon to a different state all together. By the way not sure what you have learned about Bowden but the actual city was very small and dirty the last time I went there (maybe three years ago). Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 9,064 times
I like to piggy back that question as well. We are looking in Warner Robins area. How hard is this area with us being Caucasian and having an African America child. We are looking at the towns of Kathleen, Bonaire, Bryon, Perry and Centerville as well.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Well, Kerlynne, I'm from Macon which is about 10 minutes from Warner Robins. I dont think it will be such a big problem. I see black/white couples pretty often in the area and nobody stares like they have saw a monster, generally speaking. I mean of course SOMEBODY may look and have a problem on rare occassions, but tell me where that WILL NOT happen at? Even in places like NYC and Southern Cali where there are many different races and its common to see mixed couples and children all day, everyday...they still have SOME race problems.

In other words, I cant tell you EVERYBODY will accept it, but I can tell you it wont be some big deal. I think this can go for pretty much everywhere

Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Well, Kerlynne, I'm from Macon which is about 10 minutes from Warner Robins. I dont think it will be such a big problem. I see black/white couples pretty often in the area and nobody stares like they have saw a monster, generally speaking. I mean of course SOMEBODY may look and have a problem on rare occassions, but tell me where that WILL NOT happen at? Even in places like NYC and Southern Cali where there are many different races and its common to see mixed couples and children all day, everyday...they still have SOME race problems.

In other words, I cant tell you EVERYBODY will accept it, but I can tell you it wont be some big deal. I think this can go for pretty much everywhere
Where in SoCal are there lots of different races?

I have a hard time finding them without scheduling an appointment to go to another race's part of Cali. NO MIXING OF RACES HERE, IT'S VERY SAD!

Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlynne View Post
I like to piggy back that question as well. We are looking in Warner Robins area. How hard is this area with us being Caucasian and having an African America child. We are looking at the towns of Kathleen, Bonaire, Bryon, Perry and Centerville as well.
Any would be suitable from my experiences there but all the way around Centerville would probably be the most suitable. Seems to be where the entire WR area congregates, instead of just the locals.

Perry is nice too but has a right side of the tracks thing going on like you have in Macon. Not so much because of race but mostly a, "I'm better than you because I can pay you to cut my grass and you have to cut your own", kind of thing.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM

110 posts, read 235,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Any would be suitable from my experiences there but all the way around Centerville would probably be the most suitable. Seems to be where the entire WR area congregates, instead of just the locals.

Perry is nice too but has a right side of the tracks thing going on like you have in Macon. Not so much because of race but mostly a, "I'm better than you because I can pay you to cut my grass and you have to cut your own", kind of thing.
Snobbery in Perry? I worked there for a long time and I never experienced that. As a matter of fact, I think the folks in Perry are way less pretentious than in Warner Robins. If I ever move back to middle GA, Perry is it for me for sure. It reminds of what Warner Robins used to be before all the growth and congestion.

Kerylynne, Warner Robins is known as the iternational city. I don't think there would be any problems with interracial children/couples there. I lived there for a period of time and my husband grew up there. It's a very family oriented community and the place where we live now reminds me alot of it. We also lived in Byron and it has a very small town feel, but I can honestly say the schools may be hurting there (think budget). They have gone to a 4 day school week and not sure how long that will play out, but I don't think a 4 day school week is benefiting the kids as much as 5 days.

Good luck

Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Where in SoCal are there lots of different races?

I have a hard time finding them without scheduling an appointment to go to another race's part of Cali. NO MIXING OF RACES HERE, IT'S VERY SAD!
These are the demographics of L.A. County alone

"The racial makeup of the county is 48.71% White[10] 11.0% African American, 0.81% Native American, 10.0% Asian, 0.28% Pacific Islander, 23.53% from other races, and 4.94% from two or more races. 44.56% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. The largest ancestry groups are German (6%), Irish (5%), English (4%) and Italian (3%). 45.87% of the population reported speaking English at home; 37.89% speak Spanish, 2.22% Tagalog, 1.98% Chinese, 1.87% Korean, and 1.57% Armenian. [3]"

Then you can break down individual cities like

Long Beach

Races in Long Beach:
Hispanic (35.8%)
White Non-Hispanic (33.1%)
Other race (20.6%)
Black (14.9%)
Two or more races (5.3%)
Other Asian (4.8%)
Filipino (4.0%)
American Indian (1.7%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (1.2%)
Vietnamese (1.1%)
Chinese (0.8%)
Japanese (0.7%)

.......................what's NOT diverse about that?...Southern Cali is very diverse and so is the Bay Area in Cali

Old 09-15-2009, 05:47 PM

268 posts, read 948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltzinginMoonlight View Post
Can anyone supply a list of the most segregated towns and cities of the state?

It sickens me that this type of stuff still goes on in the year of 2009.

I am looking to move to Georgia (close to either Atlanta or Savannah) with my boyfriend. We are originally from Richmond, VA. We plan on having children in the future. The children will be mixed, he is white I am black.

Our price range is around $300,000-500,000. We both are interested in a "small town" type of feel. We like this way of life. I'd prefer a house with lots of acreage. My husband and me enjoy fishing. I don't mind driving for quite a while to get to and from places. As long as the scenery is beautiful. Please recommended towns that are racially diverse and not segregated. We don't want anyone bothering us because of our relationship. I don't mind confederate flags, it has gotten to a point where it just doesn't bother me anymore.

I would also like some information on schools. As I said before, we plan on having children in the future. Are Georgia schools good? Which areas have the better schools. Savannah or Atlanta?

We both work from home. So we won't have to worry about frantic job searching because I know finding jobs can be a hassle especially down here.

And anything else y'all would like to know just let me know ad I will gladly give you more information.

Also I have family near Villa Rica. Haven't stayed there long. But can anyone go into depth about this area?

Another area that I am interested in is either Bowdon or Greenville. They both seem to be very lovely areas.

I can't comment on anything close to Savannah but as far as Atlanta have you considered Covington GA(Newton County), it is 35 miles east of Atlanta and about 37 mile from Athens as well, you may meet a actor or two if you move here as they film a lot of movies and tv shows here, they are filming the CW's "Vampire Diaries" here, the houses here range from 100's on the low end in the western half of the county all the way up to the million dollar range in the eastern half of the county, the schools are decent with the east side schools better than the western side, crime here has grew with the population as our population went from 62,000(2000 Census) to a estimated 2009 count of 101,000, the infrastructure here is struggling to keep up but this is once again a growth problem, which isn't a bad thing it sure beats everyone leaving your town which is worse, overall this is a nice county and town the City is dedicated to making the square something to enjoy, if you've ever watched "In The Heat of The Night" then you've seen our square, this is just another town for you to consider, the racial diversity is about 57% white, 36% black and 7% other, these numbers aren't exact but they are close if I remember the last time I checked the statitics for Newton County and Covington.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Since you mention Greenville as an option and no one has commented, let me give you my perspective.

We moved to northern Meriwether County, to my Grandfather's old homestead from the thriving metropolis of Griffin when I was eight (laugh if you may, but Griffin was a metropolis compared to rural Meriwether in the mind of this 8 year old). I went to Greenville schools for 3rd grade (69-70), the last year before full integration of the schools. The start of my fourth grade year, the former "black school" became an all boys school and the former "white school" became an all girls school. The majority of my friends transferred to Flint River Academy in Woodbury. It was a miserable time. After two weeks, my parents moved me to Hogansville schools, which also integrated fully that year (as did all of GA public schools). Hogansville, being a poorer "mill town" did not have a huge white outflow, only a handfull pulled their kids out and in to either Flint River or LaGrange Academies.

This little bit of history to say that Greenville, IMO, has changed less than surrounding areas over the years -- it is still VERY rural -- but it has changed.

A mixed race couple in the community would have been news back in those days, but they were not unknown. However, I don't think it would be news to anyone anymore. Some of these same classmates that left for the all white academies now have children in mixed race relationships, so change has hit closer to home than you would think.

You still might meet some resistance anywhere you go and this isn't relegated to just the south. Meriwether County has a lot of exurbanites leaving the close in suburban counties to escape the sprawl, not everyone there is an old timer. When I was a kid, we knew EVERYONE. Any home within a five mile radius, I knew who lived there even if I didn't know them personally. When I go back to visit my mom, we will drive down one of the country roads near her, I will see a new home on some acreage, ask her who bought the place and she has no clue. She has no clue of most of the neighbors now. This is a monumental change from when I grew up there.

One more story. Back in the 70s some people left the little Baptist church in the community (my mom still plays piano there) when a new, young pastor accepted an invitation to speak at the "black" Methodist church a half mile down the road. On a recent visit back, I noticed two black ladies in attendance (keep in mind 40 people is a big crowd). After service, they were warmly received, hugged and welcomed by most of the old timers. My mother told me they are a lady and her older mother that have moved to the area from out of state. The lady is married to a white man but he doesn't "do" church. The ladies found the style of worship more to their tastes than the local all black churches.

So, times have changed in Meriwether County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia