Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 AM

22 posts, read 145,272 times

Advertisements

i currently reside in Henry County (Locust Grove, Mc Donough) but, my husband and i are considering moving to Cleveland, GA.

im not too familiar w/ the area but, i do know that its near Helen. the demographics of the area are what struck our interests. we have 3 small children so, i would like for this to be our forever home!

i would like to hear everyone's opinion concerning this area-schools, shopping, etc. ive done my research but, i feel that word of mouth is much more reliable....

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,165 times
Default schools suck

When 90% of the senior class graduates with honors, you know something's very wrong. Curves not possible.

Oh, I've been in White County for over 15 years now. We took a big step and moved all the way from Clermont. haha
It took me 1.5 hours to drive 5 miles Friday after work to get home. The traffic is TERRIBLE.
I honestly wouldn't advise anybody to move here.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:03 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,893 times
"The demographics of the area is what struck our interests"...
Is that code for ..there are no black people?

Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 PM

22 posts, read 145,272 times
no, thats a code for-- my child WILL not be considered minority regardless of which race(s) occupies that school system... but, im guessing you came to that conclusion consdiering the county is named WHITE county.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,559 times
I moved to Cleveland 11 years ago from Snellville. For the first 6 months, I was terribly miserable. Just having to deal with the inconvenience of not having a Kroger on every corner and a Wal-Mart down the street was an adjustment. You can't "just run to the store" to pick up a few items, or if your child needs items to complete a last minute school project, it will take you an extra 30 minutes or more of travel time. When I moved here, we did not know anyone so that contributed to my state of mind as well. My son became involved in sports and I got to know other families thru that. I also became involved in the PTO and volunteered at the school.
We moved here because it was close enough to Norcross that my husband could commute (1 hr 10 mins) and set his schedule so that he would only have to be there 2-3days a week and I could stay home and be a full time mom to our 2 children instead of having them be raised by someone else in day care.
There are families that have been here for generations and there are families just like mine that moved here for a better quality of life. I feel a sense of community here that I did not feel in Snellville. There are 2 elementary schools, 1 middle school and 1 high school for the entire county. Everybody does know everybody or knows someone who does. Your child will not be able to go anywhere in the county without someone knowing who they are. I see that as a good thing.
As far as 90% of the graduating class graduating with honors - that is a lie. I don't know where that came from or what that was intended to imply. My son took honors classes from 2nd grade on thru 12th - he graduated with a 3.85 but was not an honors graduate.
As far as the traffic - it is Octoberfest, leaves are changing and White County is a tourist destination. On Fridays, when the schools are dismissed 3:15 to 4:00 the traffic around the square is gridlocked. The traffic on Hwy 129 from Clermont and Gainesville is backed up for miles. Everyone that lives here knows that, you just travel on alternate routes.
There are black people in White county, just as there are Hispanics and Asians. They are not treated any different or even thought as being different in the school system. There is a lot of poverty here - of all races. There are meth labs and there is a real problem with drugs. There is no major industry here; the people that move here do so because they want to live here not because of the jobs. No place is perfect - you just have to be aware of what's going on.
I do not regret moving here - it is beautiful and there is a sense of community that I wanted to raise my children in.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 17,663 times
I've lived in Cleveland, Ga. my whole life. And as far as there being blacks, hispanics and Asians....very, very few. And most ARE treated differently. There is a lot of poverty. The good jobs are several hours away. Meth is a problem.
The teachers do show favoritism. To what extent depends on who you are.
Most of the people here have lived here a very long time. They do not like much change around these parts. Although a WalMart was just put in. That should hold us over for the next century, as far as "change". lol. The weather is nice. Fall is beautiful. Alot of down to earth , country type people in this area. Very laid back. It has it's ups and downs. And may not be for everyone. Best thing to do is spend some time in the area and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia