Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 42,028 times

Advertisements

Hi My husband and I and our little baby girl want to live in a warm place where it dont snow alot and it is safe. Where in Georgia is the safest place to live? What is fun to do in Georgia? I want to live some where safe for my little girl... Any suggestions?????? How are the schools? Is it expensive to live there? Any help will be really great. thanx also what is the weather like there????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 08:22 AM

80 posts, read 351,680 times
It's hot and humid during the summer! I live in north Georgia (Forsyth County), which I like because I can enjoy Lake Lanier (during non-drought times), get to Atlanta in less than an hour, and enjoy the north Georgia mountains.

I don't think it's expensive to live here, but then again, I live in one of the most affluent areas of the country.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:15 PM

229 posts, read 584,991 times
I wondered about this too. I live in Wyoming, and have never been to Georgia- but it looks absolutely beautiful. I've think quite often what it might be like to live in the South- it appeals to me in many ways, but I do worry about the crime I read about. Are there any places that are perfectly safe for families to live?? I also wondered if I could handle the humidity coming from such a dry climate, but the green of the area is so beautiful!!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggergurl122 View Post
Hi My husband and I and our little baby girl want to live in a warm place where it dont snow alot and it is safe. Where in Georgia is the safest place to live? What is fun to do in Georgia? I want to live some where safe for my little girl... Any suggestions?????? How are the schools? Is it expensive to live there? Any help will be really great. thanx also what is the weather like there????
Expensive is a relative term. What I consider expensive, you may think is cheap or vice versa. One of the key questions is where could you work and what is your budget for a home? What do you like to do? What amenities do you want close by? Do you like an urban, suburban, or rural setting?

The schools are good in some areas and not so good in others, even within the same county, depending on whether you're in a lower income area where the parental involvement is lower and they have a hard time attracting and retaining good teachers. That translates to poorer test scores.

Safety is also relative and will depend on the demographic of people that lives in the area. If you find yourself in a lower income neighborhood, that area may not be as safe.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 311,278 times
Default Here's the scoop...

I've lived in GA all my life (I'm 32) and I'm sick of it. I'm trying to get out but don't let that scare you. I've been here all my life so you probably could imagine how I feel. GA has changed a lot.......and I'm talking recent changes in the past 15 years. The traffic here is awful. This is because they're building tons and tons of subdivisions and the roads aren't built for the burgeoning population. Whenever I drive I avoid the interstates cause they mortify me, but you may have a different feeling about interstate driving so again, don't let that scare you.

Anyway here goes with the safe areas.....at all costs avoid any and everything in Clayton County (not to be confused with Claxton County). The crime is awful and their school system is losing its accreditation. This is sad because 15 years ago, this was one of the best counties to live in. Don't move to Atlanta...crime is horrible. Atlanta is in Fulton County and if you must move to fulton county remember that north Fulton is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than south fulton. North Fulton has an excellent school system by the way! Gwinnett County used to be the place to go but now traffic is horrible, gangs have moved in and the schools are very overcrowded. There are still some cities in Gwinnett that are worth mentioning though, like Dacula, Buford, Lawrenceville and Duluth are all nice. If you have a really nice income,cities like Alpharetta, Marietta, Sandy Springs, Cumming, North Decatur are really nice. Stay out of South Decatur though! Cities that are nice but will have you stuck in traffic for hours because of the commute are Winder, Acworth, Kennesaw and a few more. Contact me if you need more info.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,287,918 times
Look to smaller cities north of Atlanta.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiapeach32 View Post
I've lived in GA all my life (I'm 32) and I'm sick of it. I'm trying to get out but don't let that scare you. I've been here all my life so you probably could imagine how I feel. GA has changed a lot.......and I'm talking recent changes in the past 15 years. The traffic here is awful. This is because they're building tons and tons of subdivisions and the roads aren't built for the burgeoning population. Whenever I drive I avoid the interstates cause they mortify me, but you may have a different feeling about interstate driving so again, don't let that scare you.

Anyway here goes with the safe areas.....at all costs avoid any and everything in Clayton County (not to be confused with Claxton County). The crime is awful and their school system is losing its accreditation. This is sad because 15 years ago, this was one of the best counties to live in. Don't move to Atlanta...crime is horrible. Atlanta is in Fulton County and if you must move to fulton county remember that north Fulton is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than south fulton. North Fulton has an excellent school system by the way! Gwinnett County used to be the place to go but now traffic is horrible, gangs have moved in and the schools are very overcrowded. There are still some cities in Gwinnett that are worth mentioning though, like Dacula, Buford, Lawrenceville and Duluth are all nice. If you have a really nice income,cities like Alpharetta, Marietta, Sandy Springs, Cumming, North Decatur are really nice. Stay out of South Decatur though! Cities that are nice but will have you stuck in traffic for hours because of the commute are Winder, Acworth, Kennesaw and a few more. Contact me if you need more info.
...and the winner of the Sweeping Generalizations Award goes to...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggergurl122 View Post
You might want to check out Peachtree City,GA.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 40,947 times
Thumbs down Beware

Looks can be very deceiving( like the travel brouchures). Horrible,hot,humid and hispanics have taken over most towns.I am a native and been throughout GA.Big business has brought hispanics in to lower wages and the government has allowed them to remain despite not being legal. I have moved out and will never return.Gangs are a problem in even the smallest towns,there's graffiti everywhere ;but according to local officials "there is no gang activity here."

Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndrs1966 View Post
Looks can be very deceiving( like the travel brouchures). Horrible,hot,humid and hispanics have taken over most towns.I am a native and been throughout GA.Big business has brought hispanics in to lower wages and the government has allowed them to remain despite not being legal. I have moved out and will never return.Gangs are a problem in even the smallest towns,there's graffiti everywhere ;but according to local officials "there is no gang activity here."

The illustrious, indigenious has spoken. NEVER cease to amaze. Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia