Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

322 posts, read 586,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Q: Which city could become Georgia's second major metro?
A: Savannah-Hilton Head

End of thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You are being completely and obnoxiously disingenuous in your rabid boosterism of Augusta and it's pretty sad at this point. No one in this thread ever said that Savannah and Hilton Head/Beaufort currently constituted an MSA or CSA, but I guess you have to resort to such strawman tactics when the lines you were previously arguing along were shattered by sound reasoning and logic.

The fact of the matter is that this entire thread is talking about the FUTURE of the second-tier metros in Georgia. Everyone already knows that Augusta's MSA is the second-largest in the state; however, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will become a second major metro in Georgia. It may, but there are a variety of factors at work to consider. The deepening of Savannah's port will undoubtedly lead to more commerce and it's very plausible that it will spur economic development in the surrounding area, hence pulling adjacent areas into its sphere of influence--like those counties right across the river. This doesn't negate the potential impacts of the developments in Augusta, and I've never argued that. But some folks are so blindly boosterish that they believe that Augusta's developments will lead to scores and scores of people rushing to relocate there over the next decade, while Savannah will simply sit still. It's absolutely insane.
Looks like someone said that...and I am not boosting either city more than the other. You must not have read the post where I said that each city had potential in certain areas.....and I did mention the post deepening and what it could do for your area and how Chatham county was one of the fastest growing counties,has lots of population growth,tourism growth...etc. I also mentioned that Augusta was the second fastest growing city in the U.S. for high-tech job growth, was ranked for potential to be the next technology hub, and had one of the fastest growing universities in the U.S. I also mentioned that Columbia county was also one of the fastest growing counties in Georgia...etc. I never said that Savannah was sitting still my any means...I just said that both had potential to become major metros....I do agree that the cities right across the river should be part of the MSA or CSA of Savannah like Augusta's...but my main point was that they aren't yet....any Savannah posters were talking as if they already were...such as the post by newboy that I quoted. I'm not saying that this will never happen, it just hasn't. I was also wondering what the Savannah region was and what counties it included since I have never heard of it of seen population stats on it like I have seen for the CSRA,which has counties as far away as 3 counties from the coast.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Ledger-Enquirer calculations of U.S. Census estimates from 2010 to 2012 indicate the Columbus metro area grew by 15,666 people, rising from a population of 294,865 to 310,531, higher by 5.3 percent.

The metro area includes Muscogee, Harris, Chattahoochee and Marion counties in Georgia, as well as Russell in Alabama.

But the numbers also show that Lee County, which is its own metro area in Alabama, picked up 7,000 new residents over those two years. Troup County, home of the Kia auto assembly plant, added more than 1,400 residents.

Adding all of those counties together shows the region gained just under 24,000 residents over the last two years, with the grand total at 560,320, an increase of 4.4 percent.

Metro Columbus population cracks 300,000 residents | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

This came out before Valley Alabama was added to the Columbus CSA.
Awesome info! The Columbus region is on fire right now with no slowdown in sight. Kia has done wonders for the northern suburbs. Looking forward to seeing what's in store for 2014.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
Looks like someone said that...and I am not boosting either city more than the other. You must not have read the post where I said that each city had potential in certain areas.....and I did mention the post deepening and what it could do for your area and how Chatham county was one of the fastest growing counties,has lots of population growth,tourism growth...etc. I also mentioned that Augusta was the second fastest growing city in the U.S. for high-tech job growth, was ranked for potential to be the next technology hub, and had one of the fastest growing universities in the U.S. I also mentioned that Columbia county was also one of the fastest growing counties in Georgia...etc. I never said that Savannah was sitting still my any means...I just said that both had potential to become major metros....I do agree that the cities right across the river should be part of the MSA or CSA of Savannah like Augusta's...but my main point was that they aren't yet....any Savannah posters were talking as if they already were...such as the post by newboy that I quoted. I'm not saying that this will never happen, it just hasn't. I was also wondering what the Savannah region was and what counties it included since I have never heard of it of seen population stats on it like I have seen for the CSRA,which has counties as far away as 3 counties from the coast.
No one said that Savannah and Hilton Head-Beaufort are currently a singular MSA or CSA. However, Newsboy demonstrated the ways in which those areas are already tied to each other and how those ties will become strengthened with more development. Thus the area is in the running to become the next major metro in Georgia.

And I live in Atlanta, for the record.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM

I must say...Adding that Alabama side to the CSA has really helped the population. I'm a little confused though because the Columbus/Alamaba is estimated to have 491,852 people as of 2012. Not sure where the 500,000+ estimated are coming from. Savannah currently has the second largest CSA behind Atlanta/athens at 516,159. Augusta doesn't have a CSA,but it does have a region called the CSRA with about 709,433.
Central Savannah River Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of metropolitan areas of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Quote:
I must say...Adding that Alabama side to the CSA has really helped the population. I'm a little confused though because the Columbus/Alamaba is estimated to have 491,852 people as of 2012. Not sure where the 500,000+ estimated are coming from. Savannah currently has the second largest CSA behind Atlanta/athens at 516,159. Augusta doesn't have a CSA,but it does have a region called the CSRA with about 709,433.
Central Savannah River Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of metropolitan areas of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Troup County was added in with the numbers. It's clearly in the Columbus region.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No one said that Savannah and Hilton Head-Beaufort are currently a singular MSA or CSA. However, Newsboy demonstrated the ways in which those areas are already tied to each other and how those ties will become strengthened with more development. Thus the area is in the running to become the next major metro in Georgia.

And I live in Atlanta, for the record.
That not what he said...and good for you...that's very irrelevant...but me too. I never said it wasn't....I simply stated the fact that Savannah has no SC counties currently included in it's metro area,and it doesn't....

Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Troup County was added in with the numbers. It's clearly in the Columbus region.
Whats the total with that county?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
That not what he said
Of course it's what he was saying. Are you going to sit up here and say that Newsboy was saying that Savannah and Hilton Head-Beaufort currently constitute one MSA/CSA? Anyone with basic reading comprehension skills could see that he wasn't.

Quote:
...and good for you...that's very irrelevant...but me too.
I mentioned where I live because you said "and I did mention the post deepening and what it could do for your area" as if I lived in Savannah. I was merely correcting you.

Quote:
I never said it wasn't....I simply stated the fact that Savannah has no SC counties currently included in it's metro area,and it doesn't....
Yeah we know that Captain Obvious, but that wasn't the point.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK then, let's just forget the entire MSA-CSA debate for awhile and consider this basic fact: The counties that make up the Savannah-Hilton Head "region" are among the fastest growing in both respective states and currently account for a population approaching 750,000 -- in an area that is SMALLER than any of the other 3rd-tier cities included in this discussion.

Further, this region is colloquially referred to by the media, retailers and the general population as "The Coastal Empire AND Lowcountry." This fact is reflected in Savannah's status as the 92nd-largest TV market in the nation.

It doesn't matter how you slice it or define in, the facts are that the Savannah REGION is the second-most populous in the state (along with Chattanooga, perhaps) and certainly the better known among all the 2nd-tier metros
I was about to say something similar to this.

We really dont have to argue about MSA and CSA figures and what is or isnt included. We dont need man made definitions to tell what's obviously the "area" of a city. Hilton Head is definitely the Savannah area.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
The last time I went to Charlotte, I was impressed with how much seemed "developed" in between Augusta-Columbia-Charlotte though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia