Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM

150 posts, read 481,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I think that's the point...right? There are people like you who don't care.

Personally, I can't understand why people who got their butts kicked in a war, a war over keeping other humans in bondage for their own financial gain, wouldn't want to put that behind them as quickly and as far behind them as possible. One can only surmise that some in the south are still proud of the Confederacy and the resulting segregation and racism.

You act as if only people in the south are racist. Some of the most racist people I've ever met are up north. But then again almost everyone is really racist to a point. Yeah the south wanted to keep the slaves and the north wanted nothing to do with them and send them back...ok. I've actually seen quite a few rebel flags flying in Ohio and New York State. If people want that licence plate and are willing to pay for it let it be. If it offends you move on and look away. Its really only folks suffering from white mans burden who pretend to be offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
You act as if only people in the south are racist. Some of the most racist people I've ever met are up north. But then again almost everyone is really racist to a point. Yeah the south wanted to keep the slaves and the north wanted nothing to do with them and send them back...ok. I've actually seen quite a few rebel flags flying in Ohio and New York State. If people want that licence plate and are willing to pay for it let it be. If it offends you move on and look away. Its really only folks suffering from white mans burden who pretend to be offended.
Where did I ever say that "only people in the south are racist?" Answer....NOWHERE. We're not discussing NY or Ohio or NJ or Pennsylvania or any other state but Georgia. As far as I know, none of those other states wants to put out a license plate with the Confederate flag on it.

Just because others may be racist doesn't excuse what we're discussing here. I have said in the other thread that I support anyone's right to fly the flag or put it on their car. That doesn't make it any less ignorant or the statement it makes about that person any less clear. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right.

"White man's burden"....I don't even know WTF that even means. Must be a local saying. Don't judge me by your yardstick. I am not burdened by nor do I think in terms of race. When people are morons, I treat them that way, be they white, black, yellow, etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
This is a free country so, while I'm against what the flag represents, I think it's fine if people want to display it on their own property. But, I don't like the State government that I pay taxes to offering a license plate that displays a symbol that is a reminder of a tragic era in our state's past.
Pretty much agree with this as well. I am not a fan of pro life and other controversial state sponsored license plates either. There is a time and place to make one's position on heated or controversial issues known and I just don't understand how a state sponsored license plate is the best way to do it.

What is the advantage to having this plate over just placing a large sticker on your window other that the perception that the state of Georgia agrees with your point of view?

On the upside...with this plate the rest of us gain insights into a person's view of the world without having to meet them and contrary to what they might think, most people I know will not hold a favorable first impression of anyone driving around with that plate.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Honoring Southern heritage my butt. It is divisive and a symbol of hatred. Period.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Where did I ever say that "only people in the south are racist?" Answer....NOWHERE. We're not discussing NY or Ohio or NJ or Pennsylvania or any other state but Georgia. As far as I know, none of those other states wants to put out a license plate with the Confederate flag on it.

Just because others may be racist doesn't excuse what we're discussing here. I have said in the other thread that I support anyone's right to fly the flag or put it on their car. That doesn't make it any less ignorant or the statement it makes about that person any less clear. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right.

"White man's burden"....I don't even know WTF that even means. Must be a local saying. Don't judge me by your yardstick. I am not burdened by nor do I think in terms of race. When people are morons, I treat them that way, be they white, black, yellow, etc.
'White Man's Burden' refers to a poem by Rudyard Kipling. It is not local in nature.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
What is the advantage to having this plate over just placing a large sticker on your window other that the perception that the state of Georgia agrees with your point of view?
Unfortunately, the one advantage is a small amount of additional revenue in the state's tax coffers.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
'White Man's Burden' refers to a poem by Rudyard Kipling. It is not local in nature.
I learned something new today. Of course I still have no idea what Countryfried meant, since the poem relates to nineteenth century imperialism.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM

29 posts, read 58,761 times
Unhappy The South Never Got Over the Civil War

I'm originally from Georgia (a large city in Georgia); and, we currently live in South Georgia (hopefully not for much longer). According to Georgia tourism, this area is the Magnolia Midlands. One thing we have learned is that the South NEVER got over the Civil War. NEVER.

Not trying to be mean-spirited or offensive, but many folks who live in South Georgia behave in a backwards manner and they are completely lacking in skills when it comes to customer service, business and even church relationships. We've had eight long years of study in this particular area. It is unbelievable. The ignorance is overwhelming, disturbing and even sad. Many who sought a formal education or a career left the area and never came back. I consider this post a lamentation and not a celebration of history or tradition.

I would never raise a child down here. NEVER. This place is not about progress, it's about cousins, fish fries, hunting and family reunions. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with celebrating family and fish fries, but there is something wrong when a culture doesn't basically progress over a 100-year period. Progress is not a part of the equation.

1. If a barn or house is abandoned, it's just left on the property to fall down and rust. I sometimes wonder if they have ever heard of a bulldozer.

2. If a restaurant is out of lemons or potatoes, no one thinks to go to the local grocery store and buy some before your customers arrive for dinner. The waitress loudly and proudly announces, "We're out of it!" No apologies - you're just supposed to accept it and order something else.

3. These people seem to be okay with the influx and increase of drugs in the area. And, when law enforcement arrests people for having a meth lab, they end up letting them go. Even with all of the new vehicles and buildings, drug trafficking is flourishing in this area. And, what do people do? They stay quiet and pretend it's not happening.

4. Small churches are mostly families and clans. And, these families run the churches. When a new person walks in, many times they will simply stare at you or ignore you.

5. Businessmen will schedule an appointment and not show up or call you to let you know they can't be there. These are businessmen with power and money. No integrity whatsoever.

6. This is also the land of grandpa's moonshine. They have no problems staying hidden in the trees so that they can hide whatever illegal activity they're involved in at the time. However, the moonshine has been traded for marijuana and meth labs.

7. If a locally owned business (except for franchises or places like Walmart or Lowe's) decides to close early, they will, even if the hours are 10 - 6. If they decide to leave at 5:30 p.m., you're out of luck.

8. They don't accept outsiders very well. If you were not born and raised within an approximate 40-mile radius of this area, you're basically from "out-of-town" (even if you're from Georgia).

9. If you live down here for any length of time......If you have any formal education or common sense.....If you believe in treating people with respect or fairness......you will understand why the South lost the Civil War.

10. Just like Washington, DC, you cannot continue to elect the same mayors and representatives over a 20-year period and not expect corruption or scandal to be a part of the equation. The landed gentry are in public office and they own the banks. Just Google the name: Aubrey Lee Price. Also, you may want to Google or read about how many banks closed in Toombs and Montgomery counties.

--------------------------

To give you an idea of this place:

One night we walked into the local Pizza Hut about an hour before closing. There was no one in the restaurant. We stood at the front waiting to be seated. Finally, someone showed up to seat us and said, "It's gonna be a while before you get your food." I looked at the empty restaurant and asked, "Why will it be a while - there's no one in here?" The waitress/server replied, "Because we don't have clean dishes!"

I stood there in shock for a moment and couldn't resist, so I asked, "How long will it take to wash two dishes?" She replied, "Oh, it will take a while!" We got the message and turned around and walked out the door. The waitress immediately locked the door behind us. Yes, they closed an hour earlier.

---------------------------

Last edited by Neptune Report; 03-05-2014 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Add some info

Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune Report View Post
I'm originally from Georgia (a large city in Georgia); and, we currently live in South Georgia (hopefully not for much longer). According to Georgia tourism, this area is the Magnolia Midlands. One thing we have learned is that the South NEVER got over the Civil War. NEVER.

Not trying to be mean-spirited or offensive, but many folks who live in South Georgia behave in a backwards manner and they are completely lacking in skills when it comes to customer service, business and even church relationships. We've had eight long years of study in this particular area. It is unbelievable. The ignorance is overwhelming, disturbing and even sad. Many who sought a formal education or a career left the area and never came back. I consider this post a lamentation and not a celebration of history or tradition.

I would never raise a child down here. NEVER. This place is not about progress, it's about cousins, fish fries, hunting and family reunions. Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with celebrating family and fish fries, but there is something wrong when a culture doesn't basically progress over a 100-year period. Progress is not a part of the equation.

1. If a barn or house is abandoned, it's just left on the property to fall down and rust. I sometimes wonder if they have ever heard of a bulldozer.

2. If a restaurant is out of lemons or potatoes, no one thinks to go to the local grocery store and buy some before your customers arrive for dinner. The waitress loudly and proudly announces, "We're out of it!" No apologies - you're just supposed to accept it and order something else.

3. These people seem to be okay with the influx and increase of drugs in the area. And, when law enforcement arrests people for having a meth lab, they end up letting them go. Even with all of the new vehicles and buildings, drug trafficking is flourishing in this area. And, what do people do? They stay quiet and pretend it's not happening.

4. Small churches are mostly families and clans. And, these families run the churches. When a new person walks in, many times they will simply stare at you or ignore you.

5. Businessmen will schedule an appointment and not show up or call you to let you know they can't be there. These are businessmen with power and money. No integrity whatsoever.

6. This is also the land of grandpa's moonshine. They have no problems staying hidden in the trees so that they can hide whatever illegal activity they're involved in at the time. However, the moonshine has been traded for marijuana and meth labs.

7. If a locally owned business (except for franchises or places like Walmart or Lowe's) decides to close early, they will, even if the hours are 10 - 6. If they decide to leave at 5:30 p.m., you're out of luck.

8. They don't accept outsiders very well. If you were not born and raised within an approximate 40-mile radius of this area, you're basically from "out-of-town" (even if you're from Georgia).

9. If you live down here for any length of time......If you have any formal education or common sense.....If you believe in treating people with respect or fairness......you will understand why the South lost the Civil War.

10. Just like Washington, DC, you cannot continue to elect the same mayors and representatives over a 20-year period and not expect corruption or scandal to be a part of the equation. The landed gentry are in public office and they own the banks. Just Google the name: Aubrey Lee Price. Also, you may want to Google or read about how many banks closed in Toombs and Montgomery counties.

One night we walked into the local Pizza Hut about an hour before closing. There was no one in the restaurant. We stood at the front waiting to be seated. Finally, someone showed up to seat us and said, "It's gonna be a while before you get your food." I looked at the empty restaurant and asked, "Why will it be a while - there's no one in here?" The waitress/server replied, "Because we don't have clean dishes!"

I stood there in shock for a moment and couldn't resist, so I asked, "How long will it take to wash two dishes?" She replied, "Oh, it will take a while!" We got the message and turned around and walked out the door. The waitress immediately locked the door behind us. Yes, they closed an hour earlier.

Oh, not mean-spirited or offensive in any way...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune Report View Post

Where in south Georgia do you live? I grew up on a farm in south Georgia, and, yes, while some folks are the way you describe, that is no different than some folks in Atlanta, WDC, NYC or anywhere else. Most of the folks I know down your way are as socially progressive as anyone you'll ever want to meet. I'm sorry your experience has been negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia