Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times

Advertisements

@Born2Roll. Brilliant list -- Athens and Decatur have to be in any Georgia Top Five. But shouldn't Statesboro be in the honorable mentions, since you're also including vibrant small towns in the state? The 'Boro is kind of nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 04:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Born2Roll. Brilliant list -- Athens and Decatur have to be in any Georgia Top Five. But shouldn't Statesboro be in the honorable mentions, since you're also including vibrant small towns in the state? The 'Boro is kind of nice.
Thanks.

I don't see why Statesboro should not be on the honorable mention list as one can make an honorable mention list as long as one desires it to be.

I just did not think of Statesboro when I was putting together the list but feel free to add its downtown on to the list of honorable mentions.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I don't think bigger is necessarily better. I'd add Blue Ridge.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Lots of small towns from the Atlanta metro on your list.
Just because many of the towns are within the Atlanta metro, they shouldn't be disqualified. The Metro is like a giant cancer that has swallowed up some very nice places and continues to do so at an alarming rate.

Of course, they benefit from the synergy of being within proximity of many resources they don't have to provide for themselves, like a major international airport, professional sports, and other cultural amenities that require big bucks and many many patrons to maintain viability.

I haven't been to Columbus or Augusta in so long, I can't even say I'd recognize them. Macon has the best historical raw material next to Savannah. It suffers from being too close to Atlanta to be truly independent, but too far to benefit from its proximity.

Downtown Savannah is unique because of its historic plan, but that does not translate into a full spectrum of economic viability. Many big businesses are relocating their HQ's to commercial areas near the airport, far from downtown.

What I'd like to hear is a good comparison between Augusta and Columbus.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqh8VOe907Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeX3xvHGCnE

Last edited by River_Dawg; 01-26-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Just because many of the towns are within the Atlanta metro, they shouldn't be disqualified. The Metro is like a giant cancer that has swallowed up some very nice places and continues to do so at an alarming rate.

Of course, they benefit from the synergy of being within proximity of many resources they don't have to provide for themselves, like a major international airport, professional sports, and other cultural amenities that require big bucks and many many patrons to maintain viability.

I haven't been to Columbus or Augusta in so long, I can't even say I'd recognize them. Macon has the best historical raw material next to Savannah. It suffers from being too close to Atlanta to be truly independent, but too far to benefit from its proximity.

Downtown Savannah is unique because of its historic plan, but that does not translate into a full spectrum of economic viability. Many big businesses are relocating their HQ's to commercial areas near the airport, far from downtown.

Quote:

That won't end well.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:32 PM

....for Columbus GA

Old 01-26-2015, 02:33 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
....for Columbus GA
This is exactly my point. Augusta posters always living in a dream and not reality.

I can't wait until Augusta becomes the next Silicon Valley.
I can't wait to try out Augusta 5 star riverfront hotel.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
This is exactly my point. Augusta posters always living in a dream and not reality.

I can't wait until Augusta becomes the next Silicon Valley.
I can't wait to try out Augusta 5 star riverfront hotel.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because the previous comment was like red meat for you guys..

But what exactly are you talking about? The Marriott on the riverfront is being renovated and will become either 4 or 5 star.

''Marriott introduced the new room style in January and Augusta is one of the first to get it, Leech said.''
Downtown Augusta Marriott to undergo major room renovation | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 01-26-2015, 04:23 PM

I can't wait until Columbus becomes Atlanta's next suburb via high-speed rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia