Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,504 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning to move to Atlanta from sterling va.
I have read couple of posts in this forum on the topic of safe neighborhood to live
In Atlanta and found overwhelming info , I picked atlanta because I thought it has the best weather and growing job market the only reason I am moving out of VA is because of the weather .

I am Asian indian , a single mom,with two kids who will go to elementary school this year so I am interested in moving to area that has good diversity ( good percentage of fellow indians , please don't consider this as I am against mixing with other community ), diversity is certainly important for me, the neighborhood is safe preferably gated community and preferably closer to hindu temple as I want kids to learn their mothers culture as well ... Your suggestions are really really valued ...
No negative comments please... If something in my post ticks you off and If you are tempted to respond negatively because of that please accept my apologies in advance ... In this times of confusion I need some good info to make this big decision.
Thank you for reading !!
-
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
The first place that comes to mind is in Lilburn, Georgia in the attendance zone/feeder zone/cluster for the highly-regarded Parkview High School.

There is a very large, extremely vibrant and very fast-growing Asian Indian community in this area....So much so that the area is home to what is reported to be one of the largest Hindu temples on the entire planet outside of India in the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir:
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Atlanta

Start your search in the Parkview High School cluster and go from there.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The first place that comes to mind is in Lilburn, Georgia in the attendance zone/feeder zone/cluster for the highly-regarded Parkview High School.

There is a very large, extremely vibrant and very fast-growing Asian Indian community in this area....So much so that the area is home to what is reported to be one of the largest Hindu temples on the entire planet outside of India in the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir:
BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Atlanta

Start your search in the Parkview High School cluster and go from there.
Parkview is a really good school to look into. Also look at Brookwood just to the east. Also has a high population of south Asians.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
JUST FYI ... Except for.slightly milder winters in Atlanta, there's not much difference between weather in Georgia and Virginia. Summers here are just as hot and muggy as summers there.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
JUST FYI ... Except for.slightly milder winters in Atlanta, there's not much difference between weather in Georgia and Virginia. Summers here are just as hot and muggy as summers there.
Newsboy makes an excellent point that the summers in Georgia are about exactly the same as the summers in Northern Virginia.

Though, it should be noted that Northern Virginia (where Sterling, VA is located immediately near Dulles International Airport outside of Washington D.C.) is prone to get much more (tons more) snowfall than metro Atlanta.

During the 2014-15 winter season, the weather station at Dulles Airport recorded an official total of 36.9 inches of snow for the season.

During the previous winter (the 2013-14 winter season), the weather station at Dulles Airport recorded an official total of 52.8 inches of snow for the season.

Though the whopper came during the relatively recent 2009-10 winter season when the weather station at Dulles Airport recorded an official total of 73.2 inches of snow for the season.
http://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/iadsnow.pdf

By comparison, the Atlanta only averages about under 3 inches of snow annually, so the original poster probably figures that the winters will be much more improved in Georgia than in Northern Virginia.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantahome View Post
Hi, we are planning to move to Atlanta from sterling va.
I have read couple of posts in this forum on the topic of safe neighborhood to live
In Atlanta and found overwhelming info , I picked atlanta because I thought it has the best weather and growing job market the only reason I am moving out of VA is because of the weather .

I am Asian indian , a single mom,with two kids who will go to elementary school this year so I am interested in moving to area that has good diversity ( good percentage of fellow indians , please don't consider this as I am against mixing with other community ), diversity is certainly important for me, the neighborhood is safe preferably gated community and preferably closer to hindu temple as I want kids to learn their mothers culture as well ... Your suggestions are really really valued ...
No negative comments please... If something in my post ticks you off and If you are tempted to respond negatively because of that please accept my apologies in advance ... In this times of confusion I need some good info to make this big decision.
Thank you for reading !!
-
-
I'd recommend Lilburn as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:55 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions ... East Cobb and Alpharetta also seems to be good for schools(based on my internet search) but wonder how diverse these communities are... Any insight anybody .
My sincere thanks to all of you.

PS: I am leaving northern VA primarily because I cannot take this winter anymore and ofcourse some reasonably cheaper place to live.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions ... East Cobb and Alpharetta also seems to be good for schools(based on my internet search) but wonder how diverse these communities are... Any insight anybody .
My sincere thanks to all of you.

PS: I am leaving northern VA primarily because I cannot take this winter anymore and ofcourse some reasonably cheaper place to live.
Both East Cobb and Alpharetta are fairly very diverse areas that are continuing to increase in diversity.

East Cobb is very diverse in some areas more than others.

For example, the Walton High School cluster probably has more Asians in it than in any other cluster in East Cobb....But (with the possible exception of the Walton HS cluster) Asians are not represented in Cobb as much as they are in Alpharetta/North Fulton County or Gwinnett County.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:37 AM

Thank you everyone I am working with a realtor and she suggested the same , lilburn is good but little far from where jobs are located, so right now I am listing of properties from east Cobb and Fulton county , hopefully something works out soon. Again I thank city-data community members to give such a accurate recommendation!

Old 06-07-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone I am working with a realtor and she suggested the same , lilburn is good but little far from where jobs are located, so right now I am listing of properties from east Cobb and Fulton county , hopefully something works out soon. Again I thank city-data community members to give such a accurate recommendation!
You made no mention of a job or job location in your original post.

Where in metro Atlanta will you and/or your family member(s) be commuting to and from for work?

You likely will be able to find quality housing near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia