Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 11,641 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

My wife and I are a couple in our mid-fifties originally from upstate New York, near Rochester and Buffalo. Four years ago, we decided to move south to the mountains of western North Carolina, near Asheville. We sold our home in NY and have been renting a home here for the last four years, but now we want to move further south (we don't like cold or winter!).

We are looking hard at the southern coast of Georgia, and especially at St. Marys.

We are quiet people and I own my own business. I have clients all over the country, which is why my wife and I can live anywhere we like. We have always wanted to live closer to the coast, and we feel that the time is right for us to move.

We like the idea of a rather quiet, small town life. We like being able to walk to things like the bank and the post office. However, we also are looking forward to making friends with folks our own age, who enjoy similar interests, ie. cooking, travel, movies, etc..

We have three grown and married kids and three small grandchildren, so beaches and recreational opportunities are also important for times when they visit. Also, I'm looking forward to doing some fishing.

We are renters at this point not owners. We like the flexibility and the freedom renting offers, but we also like the privacy of our own home, rather than a townhouse or apartment.

Looking for input, ideas, and thoughts about whether the area we're considering would be a good fit for us, and what other places you might recommend. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 10:08 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Former resident of nearby St. Simons lsland here. St. Marys is a very nice community. Large military presence there due to the King's Bay Submarine Base.
Your beach access is fairly limited there, though. If you're putting a priority on that, l would suggest looking at one of the nearby islands: St.Simons, Jekyll or Amelia. All of them are gems IMO, and a bit more grandchild-friendly than St. Mary's.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,641 times
Thanks LovinDecatur, I appreciate your input. I'll take a closer look at those three areas.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Don't really know St. Mary's but wonder that, since it is a small southern town if it would be cliquish?

Old 01-10-2016, 06:49 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Don't really know St. Mary's but wonder that, since it is a small southern town if it would be cliquish?
It's actually home to a very transient population due to the base. Also a lot of retirees have made their homes there over the last few years.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
As opposed to small NORTHERN towns that are so warm and inviting of newcomers?!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:30 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
As opposed to small NORTHERN towns that are so warm and inviting of newcomers?!

Many small northern towns warm and inviting of newcomers. Oh wait, well the inviting part. You're right, they're northern. Not that warm, at least now!

lucidpage St Marys is a little too small if you imagine you are going to be walking to the bank, the post office, etc. Perhaps consider Beaufort or something else a little more populated.

There is no St Marys beach. You will drive quite north to Jekyll or south to Amelia, which are quite far by car actually. Hm.. Amelia Island. That's it. Check Amelia out. Its downtown is lovely. I would imagine Florida is good for retirees on taxes also.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:56 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Many small northern towns warm and inviting of newcomers. Oh wait, well the inviting part. You're right, they're northern. Not that warm, at least now!

lucidpage St Marys is a little too small if you imagine you are going to be walking to the bank, the post office, etc. Perhaps consider Beaufort or something else a little more populated.

There is no St Marys beach. You will drive quite north to Jekyll or south to Amelia, which are quite far by car actually. Hm.. Amelia Island. That's it. Check Amelia out. Its downtown is lovely. I would imagine Florida is good for retirees on taxes also.
Be sure to check out property taxes in FL. Although there is no state income tax, property taxes can be quite high in some places.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:16 PM

8 posts, read 15,763 times
Sometimes i take interstate 95 to Daytona Beach, Florida, but some we make stop in Kingsland, Georgia and Kingsland is few miles to St Mary Georgia.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Honestly due to the tax situation move across the border to FL.

1.) Ga. Income tax.
2.) Property taxes on average are higher in GA.
3.) Sales tax is higher due to Splost taxes.
4.) Ad-valorum tax on cars at 7% of set value which you have to pay no matter what. It's a very nice welcome to Ga. tax on your cars. Do a search on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia