Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,150 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in Lantern Walk for our daughter and her roommate last year. We have had no such problems - good, friendly neighbors. Her dog slipped out of the house once and neighbors who didn't know her kept the dog until they got in touch with us and returned her home safely. The houses are well built, energy efficient, etc. We felt this was a much safer environment than some of the intown neighborhoods that are shady, to say the least. At first they thought it was a ways out, but found they could actually get into town much faster than coming in from the congested East Side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,457 times
Default any new info on the area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtstone View Post
We bought a house in Lantern Walk for our daughter and her roommate last year. We have had no such problems - good, friendly neighbors. Her dog slipped out of the house once and neighbors who didn't know her kept the dog until they got in touch with us and returned her home safely. The houses are well built, energy efficient, etc. We felt this was a much safer environment than some of the intown neighborhoods that are shady, to say the least. At first they thought it was a ways out, but found they could actually get into town much faster than coming in from the congested East Side of town.
I realize it's been a few years, but maybe you could offer some more advice on the area? I'm looking at two houses in the area. I will be a phd student in the fall and would like to buy a house as it will take me five years to complete. I also have a wife and a seven month old daughter so security is an issue. I don't mind people asking for smokes (we don't smoke) as long as it doesn't go any further than that. I'm looking to be a bit separated from the frenzy that a college town can be, but, at the same time, close enough so that the commute is only fifteen minutes or so.

I would love to hear more about your experience there. Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarti21 View Post
I realize it's been a few years, but maybe you could offer some more advice on the area? I'm looking at two houses in the area. I will be a phd student in the fall and would like to buy a house as it will take me five years to complete. I also have a wife and a seven month old daughter so security is an issue. I don't mind people asking for smokes (we don't smoke) as long as it doesn't go any further than that. I'm looking to be a bit separated from the frenzy that a college town can be, but, at the same time, close enough so that the commute is only fifteen minutes or so.

I would love to hear more about your experience there. Thanks!
If I were in your situation, wanted to stay in Athens proper, was set on buying, and really was going to be out in 5 years, I'd look along Timothy Rd./Mitchell Bridge Rd. Most of the subdivisions there have little to no student presence, crime is relatively low, and despite it being slightly further away from campus will be a quicker commute than most residences on the east side due to traffic. If you do buy in Clarke County, you really do either want to be out of there or send your kid to private school by the time they reach middle school.

If you're not set on Athens proper, you could also check Oconee County like over in Watkinsville or the parts of Bogart that are in Oconee. I mention Oconee specifically because of its highly regarded school system. That's not relevant to you as a buyer but will be very relevant to you 5 years down the road as a seller. There are other areas around Athens that are nice and have cheaper houses available to buy, but it'll be a lot harder to sell them when it's time.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 98,032 times
We're thinking of selling our house. There are just two of us, so it's more than we need. It's in a wonderful subdivision called Ashton Place, on the east side of town. Has a community pool, a lake, and walking trails. Most of our neighbors are either faculty or staff at UGA. No student rentals that I know of. Haven't gotten to the point of listing it yet, but if you think you might be interested, pictures are here: Zan & Bob's House - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tempgal/sets/72157603572806124/ - broken link)

We would have to figure out how to get in touch via email privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia