Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 AM

138 posts, read 675,819 times

Advertisements

[quote=deepgreensea;2943325]I went to Hoco and do not understand the hatred towards the school. Would anyone care to explain it? I come from a very low income family and was never judged in any sort of way. In fact I really enjoyed my four years there even though I didn't have the best grades. I really liked their uses of technology...[quote]

I'll try to explain. Those on the HoCo side of town regard everyone and everything on the north side of town as "ghetto". I've heard this term many times. The Warner Robins/Northside rivary is mostly about football. The HoCo/Northside smack is all about who has the better school, who drives the better car, who is in the majority and who's daddy makes the most money.

Once while chaperoning a band festival at NHS, a HoCo percussionist made a sound with his percussion instrument, which sounded like a gun going off, and then yelled "shots fired". Me and the other chaperone whom I was standing beside were furious about the incident as there were many people who didn't really know it wasn't a gun were scared. A HoCo band parent took control of the student, but their comment was "You never say things like that", now here is the kicker: "Especially on this side of town". Not cool! How about you should never do anything like that, period end of conversation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM

21 posts, read 81,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal View Post
I'll try to explain. Those on the HoCo side of town regard everyone and everything on the north side of town as "ghetto". I've heard this term many times. The Warner Robins/Northside rivary is mostly about football. The HoCo/Northside smack is all about who has the better school, who drives the better car, who is in the majority and who's daddy makes the most money.

Once while chaperoning a band festival at NHS, a HoCo percussionist made a sound with his percussion instrument, which sounded like a gun going off, and then yelled "shots fired". Me and the other chaperone whom I was standing beside were furious about the incident as there were many people who didn't really know it wasn't a gun were scared. A HoCo band parent took control of the student, but their comment was "You never say things like that", now here is the kicker: "Especially on this side of town". Not cool! How about you should never do anything like that, period end of conversation!
I totally agree with being upset with what they said. That was absolutely uncalled for. However that's the student's fault, not the school. A school cannot control how a student acts or thinks. As a school Houston County is excellent, and what a few have to say should not matter.

And for the record, while I was at Houston County I never once saw a fellow student drive a BMW. That's not common, trust me.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM

177 posts, read 221,562 times
No its not common...BUT I have to agree with the parent of the student....If ANYONE says Northside is in a good neighborhood, they are nuts!!! If thats not the ghetto side of town, I dont know where the ghetto is at.....

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
I graduated from Windsor Academy (Macon). The other private schools used to refer to our school as the "one in the wheat field" or the redneck private school, since we were out in the what was once then, country...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:55 AM

61 posts, read 355,956 times
Default Northside is in a nicer neighborhood than WRHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelo View Post
No its not common...BUT I have to agree with the parent of the student....If ANYONE says Northside is in a good neighborhood, they are nuts!!! If thats not the ghetto side of town, I dont know where the ghetto is at.....
The older part of Warner Robins has some rough neighborhoods. The dividing line is east of Pleasant Hill Road. But this is true on the south side of town as well.

The high crime area of Warner Robins is around Davis Drive, both north and south. And that’s where Warner Robins High School is located. Northside is in a nicer area than Warner Robins High School.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 AM

177 posts, read 221,562 times
I personally think they are both "ghetto" areas.....

Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
As an educator in the Middle GA area and a former resident of Warner Robins, my opinion is that high school zones in Houston County should NOT really enter into the equation. All 4 high schools have wonderful facilities, faculties, involved parents and are wonderful schools. Sure there are many who favor one or another, but the differences are not extensive. The worst areas of Warner Robins are in the northeast corner closest to Northside HS (Davis Dr near the base), but a big chunk of that is bussed. The poorest area of the county (much of that corner) is bussed to Houston County High to increase the minority population of the school. (Check the zoning maps)

Regardless, all of the schools in Houston County promote success and if you are an involved parent and your child is motivated then they will succeed at any of the schools in the county without any problems.

IMO, focus on a house that you like and disregard the zones. Bibb county is a different game altogether, but in Houston, you can't really go wrong. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk626 View Post
Hello! My husband currently has orders to Robins AFB and we are looking to buy a house there in few months. I've been researching the schools in the area (Houston, Peach and Bleckley County) at greatschools.net and I am very much impressed with the Houston County schools, especially the high schools.

My concern is that we've been told repeatedly to stay away from the North side of the county and I was just wondering if it is really as bad there as we've read. The high school (Northside) seems to have great reviews from parents and former students - some of the elementary schools seem so-so. I know the North side of the county has the older communities but what is it that is really turning people off to the area?

Also, how do the schools in Peach and Bleckley county measure up? I saw that Bleckley County made the US News & World Report's best high schools list. I've heard that Byron Elementary and Middle School are great but that Peach County HS is less than stellar. I really like that the Houston County high schools have so much more to offer as far as extracurricular activities go.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

To answer your question, no, the north side of town is not as bad as it is made out to be. My husband joined the military 2 years ago after being a WR police officer for 5 years (and is still in contact w/lots of friends still at the dept), and I lived in Warner Robins from '83-'06. I know that there is a lot of

The 'states' area (streets immediately beside NHS) around Northside High is not great, but that is, in all probability, not where you will be looking for a home. There are homes with generous yards in GOOD neighborhoods on the north side. There are what you could consider *bad* neighborhoods in each Houston County school zone, but that is just to be expected just about anywhere. On the north side of town, the Gawin Drive area is still nice and well-kept and there are quite a few Centerville neighborhoods that are nice.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM

66 posts, read 247,037 times
Katleen has a few subdivisions that have houses on 1/2 acre lots or bigger. Plus they're very close to WRAFB.

Royal Oaks- 325k + probably the nicest development in Kathleen Houses can go 500K and more but there are some in the 300k range. When we looked there was nothing in our range.
Brantley 300+ Very silimar to Royal Oaks and basically as nice. You'll probably see more in the 300k range here. We almost bought here
Cambridge- 290+ small subdivision, only going to be about 50 to 80 homes once completed, I have a house there I'm selling due to relocation. Houses here run between 275K and up.

Flat Creek Reserve has some real nice land. It may take a while to build up but you can get lots up to 7 acres. Last time I rode through there about 7 houses where built or in construction. Don't know what you can build. LOt's run between 75K and 150K if memory serves me correctly

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 18,874 times
Northside has the best football team, but they do not even have their own field.

Northside is old warner robins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia