Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 PM

67 posts, read 237,076 times

Advertisements

Oh ya...on the one you mentioned downtown for 25K...you have to read the fine print. I encountered several things there...I lived downtown the first few years after I moved here. Some of them are tear downs.The house itself has to be torn down for whatever reason so that is just the land price sometimes. Or occasionally the zoning changed & it cannot be used for residential now, but in some places its likely a very high crime area so they have trouble getting someone in there...if something looks too good to be true...it probably is. :-) But being from California I am sure you know that. *sighs* I have always wanted to live out there myself, but I could not afford the mailbox out there much less the front porch for 25K...LOL. Oh I noticed you said guns & dogs...of which I have both. Atlanta has some kick butt dog parks & gun ranges. If you come down to visit check out Wolf Creek down near Harts field. That reminds me I need to go shooting again soon. Its been a few months.

*waves*

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 AM

39 posts, read 146,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGEMUFFIN View Post
Do you know anything about the New Georgia Homes they are building around Atlanta?

Sorry, I live 50 miles North of Atlanta. I can tell you about my area, which is North Gwinnett. There is a ton of constuction all over the Atlanta metro area. It really depends on where you work. The traffic is a bear and most people look near their office.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

39 posts, read 179,564 times
We have a house in LaGrange-quiet neighborhood-rural but not far from town, fenced in backyard, new pool (just what is needed for the summer) full finished basement-you could even rent the downstairs since just you and the dogs, close to lake,house requires no maintenance-brick with steel construction. (men here for installing cable whatever)say they have NEVER seen a house built like this one. All tile main level. don,t have acres but have enough for a garden. email mfergu3@aol.com for details We want to return to SC but hate to leave this house. You would agree, it is very unique. Can send pics Also, house needs NOTHING done to it. Move it ready.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaci View Post
I'd look around the Kennesaw area. THink I heard a strange 'story' that it is a low that you MUST own a gun. Silly, but interesting. K
Kennesaw passed a law in the late 1970's or early 1980's that every homeowner must keep a gun in the house, but it was symbolic and is NOT enforced or discussed today in any way.

If you're thinking Kennesaw is some kind of redneck paradise, you'll be sadly disappointed. It's a built up suburb of Atlanta, populated by a mix of transplants from north of the Mason-Dixon and other suburban residents of Cobb Co. It's not all that southern any more...just good schools, nice expensive homes, lots of shopping, and a whole bunch of folks like me with NY accents.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 AM

39 posts, read 179,564 times
Well take the darn comment OFF. I see other houses listed on here. I am new to this pLACE and did not know you could not MENTION a house which someone else might have interest. BESIDES CRAIGSLIST where is there a FREE place to put an ad for your house? If anyone knows, please reply. I would appreciate.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,839,196 times
I am a native and I think you should stick with the Athens area or north of Atlanta perhaps in some of the small towns that are full of artists , etc.. ALSO, nobody in my family or my husband's family has ever hunted or owned a gun. Not all of us have a gun !!! I also never knew or ate squirrel. When we moved to Wisconsin everybody assumed all the stereotypes about the South and I was shocked to meet people that ACTUALLY ate squirrel and fresh road kill and owned guns and were not nice to outsiders. Just shows that there are good and not so good people everywhere and we are all more alike than different. If you come down here and look for good you will find it and love it !

Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 AM

11 posts, read 37,264 times
Default Is Lawrenceville like Athens?

We live in Houston County (central GA) and would like to move to northern GA (kids are in GA universities). We are looking for very good medical facilities, and public college/technical opportunities for myself, and we're moderate. My husband (he's disability retired due to a mild stroke while he was working for fed. govt as a computer engineer) would like to look for a part-time job preferably with computers but with minor accommodation. I know they have an aphasia (speech difficulty usually due to a stroke) rehab program at Emory in Atlanta. Is the drive to Emory from Lawrenceville very long? We will be traveling up there in late July. I'm happy with the housing selection from what I've seen on the internet.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 16,680 times
You mentioned Ellijay...check out Jasper. It's a little closer in and you can really get some bang for your buck. It's a beautiful area.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mof29212 View Post
Well take the darn comment OFF. I see other houses listed on here. I am new to this pLACE and did not know you could not MENTION a house which someone else might have interest. BESIDES CRAIGSLIST where is there a FREE place to put an ad for your house? If anyone knows, please reply. I would appreciate.
Scroll down to the bottom of the forums listing, and you'll find the Classified Ads section.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
When I relocated to Hot 'Lanta in the early 1990s, the "bedroom community" zone around Atlanta had nice homes in the 80s. By 2000, it was 100s. Before bubble, new tract homes - 3 bd, 2 ba, 2 car garage - were 120s to 150s.

With $4 gas (or $5 or $6), those distant "bedroom communities" may be stranded since there is a dearth of mass transit.

On the other hand, if electrified rail mass transit is revived / rebuilt, there will be several commuter corridors that will ameliorate the situation. (Atlanta was once Terminus, the hub of many rail lines.)

It's a buyer's market, but buyer beware!
Homes in this area are not built with attention to weatherstripping and energy efficiency. And termites can be a serious problem, especially since most homes are wood frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia