Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 649 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family and I would like to move to Georgia. We don't know WHERE in Georgia though!

We work remotely so employment opportunities don't matter.

What DOES matter - safety, cheap housing (we will rent, not buy), cheap cost of living, good schools, 'everybody knows everybody' type of small community - really friendly welcoming people.

Any suggestions and opinions you have would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 12:02 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Check out Greensboro. It is very near Lake Oconee (which is beautiful) and close enough to Atlanta (about 1 hour or so) if you need big city shopping, healthcare and airport. Greensboro is quite charming and small - so I think you'd like it.

Home

Old 01-09-2017, 12:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
There are tons of Georgia towns that fit your criteria. My first question would be, how good of an internet connection do you need? Some rural areas are still lacking. After that I would consider how close you need to be to a larger city (like Metro Atlanta or Savannah) for work, health care, airport connections etc.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
I don't know that I'd agree with "tons of towns that fit".... small/rural towns tend to have cheap houses to Buy, but rent is set by Section 8 pricing (which is more than I pay for my mortgage, taxes, and insurance with enough left over for pizza and peer), and there are not many Nice rentals either because the income simply doesn't exist to support nice rentals. The few that do exist tend to stay occupied for long stretches.... one Could get lucky and happen on one of those rentals, but I wouldn't count on it. Now, if the OP is just looking for a "community" within one of the urban environments (say, a cul-de-sac in some 'burb) instead of a small town, options open up a lot more.

That, of course, depends 100% on the definition of "cheap housing". To someone coming to Georgia from California, it all might be cheap. I came from Denver, CO (and Wyoming before that) ~ housing can be cheaper but taxes, utilities (and oddly, food) are all enough higher that it's about the same cost of living.

I think the big deal breaker is that the schools in Georgia are well known for being bottom of the barrel. This is evident in Many news pieces over the years, and more-so when you talk with the teachers (I have 4 in my family, with 2 more that used to be but couldn't deal with it in Georgia any longer). Given the option to move Anywhere, Georgia wouldn't even register as a blip for me... other than my wife wants to be near her folks as they approach the end of their life.

Last item, but I've found the term "Southern Hospitality" to be tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Even with family that has roots within a 50 mile radius to before the civil war, people are "fake friendly" and not Actually friendly. If they want something from you, they pour on the sucrose, otherwise I've had warmer welcome from strangers on the street in NYC and DC. This extended to business interactions too, walk into a shop to buy something and you get to wait while they chat up their friends who aren't buying anything. I've walked out of 2 businesses in my small town due to this. Call up a contractor and they similarly act nice on the phone but 9 out of 10 can't be bothered to show up, and those that do show aren't usually offering the best quality.

Be warned now, when you hear someone referred to as a "Good Christian", that's code for "we tolerate this person because they go to church". It's along the veins of "Bless their heart" being code for calling someone ignorant, stupid, less than human, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia