Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 40,299 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Me and my family (husband, 4 kids range from ages 3-16) are planning to relocate to Georgia, I'm not sure which city would be best to look into also which area would be best for raising children and have good schools. I'm looking to rent a home for now and eventually buy a home once i'm sure of the area. So if anyone has any advise or knows of any good family areas your opinion would be greatly valued.

I forgot I am relocating from Wisconsin, I also lived in Chicago for most of my life but really looking for a great family community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,400,501 times
A lot depends on where you'll be working, as well as what you're looking to spend on a home. Are you looking for something that's urban, suburban, or rural? Also, what do you consider to be a "good family area"? There's plenty of variety in GA, from podunk small towns to major cities, and everything in between- you've got to narrow it down a little for us.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 40,299 times
My field is office work and my husband does construction, right now we both do not have companies or transfering our jobs. He mainly does self employment anyways, We are mainly looking for a great diversity community not too small. Near major highways and shopping, parks, schools etc...

I would mainly enjoy being in a major city rather than a Rural area. I would love a more warmer climate as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,501,496 times
Maybe West Cobb County? Smyrna, Kennesaw, Acworth?

This area is about 45 minutes from Atlanta and there are employment opportunities, different types of housing, good school system and continues to develop.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 AM

483 posts, read 2,094,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina2710 View Post
My field is office work and my husband does construction, right now we both do not have companies or transfering our jobs. He mainly does self employment anyways, We are mainly looking for a great diversity community not too small. Near major highways and shopping, parks, schools etc...

I would mainly enjoy being in a major city rather than a Rural area. I would love a more warmer climate as well.
Good luck with that - Milwaukee is 19 this morning, here in N. Ga. it's a
balmy 20.

As for construction - home building permits are off , and there are lots of spanish-speaking workers available - so there may be some shortage of work in that field.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 14,456 times
Great schools and family life in Fayetteville, GA
Looking to sell our home email me if interested in more information.
Work in school system also.
oglesbee.sara@fcboe.org

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,353,589 times
[quote=irvm;2972885]Good luck with that - Milwaukee is 19 this morning, here in N. Ga. it's a
balmy 20. \[quote]

Yeah but today (March 12) is 70 degrees. Georgia gets cold snaps, but they never last. Unlike Milwaukee, there are many winter days where the temps are 60-65 degrees.

To the OP. If you want a "city" neighborhood that has a nice family vibe and tons of great shops and restaurants, I highly recommend the City of Decatur, which is about five miles east of downtown Atlanta. I could go into details, but there is plenty of information about Decatur on this website. I moved here from San Diego a couple of years ago and I wouldn't live anywhere else in metro Atlanta (except maybe Virginia Highlands).

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM

23,484 posts, read 44,141,494 times
If you're looking for a smaller community, here are my suggestions:

Athens
Newnan
LaGrange
Macon (my sister lives there with her family and loves it)
Vidalia
Thomasville
St Simons Island (expensive, but more family-oriented than you might imagine; the quality of life there is excellent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia