Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:16 PM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this?

Here's what happened.
Around December of 2016 I bought a 2017 Camaro V6 for a daily driver, trading out of a 2015 Camaro (I wanted the new body style ever since 2016 but got a real good deal on the 2015 so I took it, but soon found it just wasnt going to scratch that itch.)

When I quoted with nationwide it was actually going to come out CHEAPER with the newer car than it was with the 2015 Camaro, not by ALOT but enough to say thats pretty cool. So I purchased it. My 99 Camaro Z28 is also on the same policy and I kept full coverage on it ever since 2013 when I paid it off (I had a mishap several years ago when I took full coverage OFF a vehicle and not even a month later had an at-fault accident so I don't really care about paying the extra money for peace of mind, I also have endorsements on the modifications I added to the Z28 so if it were ever to be wrecked I would get my money back out of them.)

Overall, before I got the 2017 I was paying about $150 a month full coverage for two cars plus rental and roadside and towing for up to 50 miles on BOTH cars and I think thats a pretty good deal for two sports cars. I had a clean driving record for the last 5 years at that point as well. No tickets / accidents, ect.

I moved from one zip code in Gwinnett to another zip code in the same exact county infact the difference in my address was less than 10 miles away.

My next bill was $120 HIGHER than my previous bill. I called up and asked what happened, and they confirmed it was NOT because of the new car, but because of my Address Change and that they have had a high rate of accidents in that area. Of course I'm like, well they may have but I haven't... why am I being charged for it? that went nowhere. So I dealt with it for a month or two but I got tired of it so here's what happened..

I took a defensive driving course and I also signed up for one of those Smart Ride units where they monitor your driving, and I applied every conceivable discount that Nationwide offers, such as automatic payments, guide posts and a few others.. With the Smart Ride unit with EXTREMELY cautious and conservative driving, I managed to get a 40% discount on my 99 Z28 and a 20% off my 2017 1LT. I wasn't going to SEE that benefit until however my next term. The other discounts applied immediately and brought my insurance down to right at $200 a month.. So guess what happens.. My next term comes and I get my 40% discount and 20% discount and expect my payments to be around $150... instead they're STILL at $200 and I called up to ask why... and they explain to me that indeed that I got my discounts, however; there was another rate increase in the area and WITHOUT my discounts I would be paying $350 PER MONTH!!!

So I call up another insurance carrier as I'm beginning to feel this is robbery, I have a clean record no accidents / tickets within the last 7 years and even though I do drive two sports cars with full coverage.. this is seeming a bit excessive. Lo and Behold another insurance company tells me what happened is, Georgia made it legal for insurance carriers to charge whatever they want in the state due to the excessive accidents in the state.

Maybe I'm missing something but those amber alert signs have been reporting between 1,100 and 1,400 roadway fatalities every year and although it fluctuates I haven't seen anything astronomical over the norm in Georgia. Texas although a much bigger state is calculating over 3,000 fatalities per year...

Am I going to have to move to find affordable insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,172 times
Blame the Republican lawmakers in this state for allowing insurance companies to rape us (Georgia tops nation for increase in auto insurance rates). The insurance companies are blaming the snow two years ago and other events but it's obviously the fact that these stupid and greedy lawmakers who will bend over backwards for a dollar while putting you (The consumer) right in front of the moving bus.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
Yes, my Nationwide went up and they stated the same thing. My bodily injury has pretty much doubled since Jan 2016 till now.

Honestly, everyone is coming out to the same thing for me. Amica is slightly cheaper because it is 12 months vs 6 months and the eventually increase.

I'm paying more now in my early 30's then I did when I was considered high risk in my 20's.

Georgia does not regulate the rates like other states anymore (some things are still regulated and limited for increase) so insurance companies just send the new rate request to the Insurance Commissioner and they are approved unless it is too high. It doesn't help that our current insurance commissioner is a yes man for the industry as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 PM

245 posts, read 652,933 times
I'm pretty sure the username Need4Corolla is available.

Mine has gone up quite a bit in the past couple of years, too. Also, check your CLUE reports (Google it, they're free). I think they would tell you if something was on there, but you never know. I found a claim on mine that belonged to my father, who lives in another state. Might just need to shop around...

Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
I'm pretty sure the username Need4Corolla is available.

Mine has gone up quite a bit in the past couple of years, too. Also, check your CLUE reports (Google it, they're free). I think they would tell you if something was on there, but you never know. I found a claim on mine that belonged to my father, who lives in another state. Might just need to shop around...
lol, yeaaa noooo .. I won't be selling my Camaro's anytime soon, and my 2017 Camaro gets better fuel mileage than a Corolla anyway, I managed 43 MPG on the highway with it (no exaggeration, have proof as well.). I make enough money to support the Camaro's and their insurance, but if someone up there is being greedy then thats a different problem altogether..

I have been looking for opportunities outside of Georgia with the main thing thats difficult for me is it will be difficult replacing my current job while making the wages I'm desiring to make.

I personally (and very personally) can't justify taking it up the back end because some corrupt lesgilature and greedy hands - I mean I know with politics thats pretty difficult to avoid..but there's no way I'm going to just sit here and let them toll me just for the heck of it when I have a clean record and back down to a lesser car because they want to fill their wallets with my hard earned cash.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:18 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,014 times
I feel your pain, but that's the way it goes here. I've been told by Allstate that my insurance is 3x more expensive than it was back in Alabama, because the part of Atlanta I live in supposedly has a high number of insurance claims. Doesn't matter that I have a perfect driving record, zero claims, and drive my ten-year-old Volvo fewer than 5000 miles per year. This is part of the reason I'm considering selling my vehicle and using Lyft when I need a car; I could afford a lot of Lyft rides for the cost of insurance + gas + maintenance. And I could turn my carport into a patio!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
I don't have Nationwide and I luve in the suburbs. For every year I have been here, my insurance has increased. It will go up by 1-2 dollars every year. GA has expensive insurance.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,172 times
The insurance companies are telling everyone the same line. As soon as you move, your insurance will skyrocket no matter the place. I moved from Sandy Springs to Tucker. They Raised my insurance because of the amount of accidents in the area! Really, more accidents in Tucker than sandy Springs? That is hard to believe but it sounds like the normal response from insurance companies these days.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:58 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
The insurance companies are telling everyone the same line. As soon as you move, your insurance will skyrocket no matter the place. I moved from Sandy Springs to Tucker. They Raised my insurance because of the amount of accidents in the area! Really, more accidents in Tucker than sandy Springs? That is hard to believe but it sounds like the normal response from insurance companies these days.

I enjoyed your first post too. Yeah, they tell me it is getting.more rxpensive to cover people because ga has a lot of accidents and the population is growing, etc. Now I am terrified of moving. My insurance literally jumped 40 per cent when i moved back to GA. I almost passed out.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:19 AM

I'm... going to have to leave this state. >_>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia