Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:34 PM

496 posts, read 467,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Well, "nice weather" is subjective. I don't find the weather to be very nice here in Georgia, it's aggressively hot and humid (GA is in the sub-tropics region). But my perspective is based on being a Wyoming native, I like Dry air and more cold than hot. Others obviously like hot and humid ~ only you will know.

Friendly people is something that completely and utterly failed to live up to the stereotype. I've spent 4 years in Atlanta (a m'eh city after 4 years in DC, 2 in Phoenix, one in each NYC, Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis and Denver and visiting many others), and another 7 in the rural areas. You get a whole lot of "fake nice" to your face and gossip behind your back. You also run into an issue where "locals" won't do business with you if you can't satisfactorily answer "who's yer kin". Were I to rank my experience with Georgia, they would be dead last on friendliness among all the places I've lived. Might be ahead of California and some European countries when including places I've visited.

Historic/old homes we have in spades. In the rural areas outside of Atlanta and it's bedroom communities, owners can't hardly give them away. A very large number have been neglected to the point where it costs more just to make them habitable than they're worth. But there are gems out there that can be bought and renovated to be safe/nice for under $100k ~ I'm sitting in just one right now.

Farmers markets are hit and miss (neighboring town tried to have one last year, no food items just decorator junk), small town festivals too (we have an over-abundance of them every fall, about every 2 weeks for 3 months). You'd really have to do a lot of homework to know if one area or another might work for you.
Thanks for the information! I'm not moving for a few years; waiting for my youngest to graduate high school. But, I'm searching now because it'll give me ideas about what type of homes are in what neighborhoods, amenities etc. I know things can and will change, but I'll have it narrowed down to what areas in each state I want to visit further.
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Historic/old homes we have in spades. In the rural areas outside of Atlanta and it's bedroom communities, owners can't hardly give them away. A very large number have been neglected to the point where it costs more just to make them habitable than they're worth. But there are gems out there that can be bought and renovated to be safe/nice for under $100k ~ I'm sitting in just one right now.
One example:
https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2018/...lle-ga-149900/

or this one:

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2018/...-montezuma-ga/

or this one: my favorite thus far
https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2018/...l-ocilla-ga-2/

Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Those things are massive... my "little" 2,200sq/ft already costs us $300/month in just electrical bills, I can hardly imagine what those would run (unless you opt for the unconditioned approach).

Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Those things are massive... my "little" 2,200sq/ft already costs us $300/month in just electrical bills, I can hardly imagine what those would run (unless you opt for the unconditioned approach).
Is it because of the air conditioning, that causes the electric bill to be so high? I just love the old plantation style homes with big columns and high ceilings.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:15 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Yup, HVAC... heat and AC, with a little dip for the couple weeks of spring/fall we have.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:52 PM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
I've lived in China, specifically Beijing and Shanghai for a few years as well as a small town of 3 million people named Linyi in Shandong province . I travel extensively around the United States but mainly between Atlanta and New York City( I spend a lot of time in NYC).

Again, Georgia offers nothing substantial over any other southeast state besides having a big city. They are all fairly conservative, with good climates, and lower taxes relative to other areas of the country. They have lakes and mountains and most are located on the coast or gulf.

I guess it's just proximity to whatever amenities that one holds dear that would be a deciding factor.

I have no love for Georgia but I adore Atlanta.
How sad for you. Obviously living in China doesn't translate to having any semblance of a clue about this great state.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
How sad for you. Obviously living in China doesn't translate to having any semblance of a clue about this great state.

Georgia and the United States as a whole are better for some but not for all. I don't hate Georgia and in another thread regarding Georgia having it all, I do believe Georgia has it all.

But Georgia isn't exceptional in my opinion except in one regard. As stated, most SE states have mountains, lakes, most with beaches, historic towns, etc. The only thing that sets Georgia apart is Atlanta. I feel if the OP doesn't need a big city then they should prioritize the closeness to the things they enjoy. The cities in each state are more alike than different.

The only thing I would add is the cost of higher education. South Carolina has one of the highest instate tuition. But Georgia and NC's tuition is cheaper and in my opinion have a better university system. I've gone to school in SC, GA, and NC. Tennessee offers free two year education I believe. I can't comment on Tennessee's university education quality or the cost.

If they pick one state over another I don't think they will be missing anything.

But I promise I'm not missing anything in life by not believing that Georgia is an oasis in a desert.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:52 AM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Georgia and the United States as a whole are better for some but not for all. I don't hate Georgia and in another thread regarding Georgia having it all, I do believe Georgia has it all.

But Georgia isn't exceptional in my opinion except in one regard. As stated, most SE states have mountains, lakes, most with beaches, historic towns, etc. The only thing that sets Georgia apart is Atlanta. I feel if the OP doesn't need a big city then they should prioritize the closeness to the things they enjoy. The cities in each state are more alike than different.

The only thing I would add is the cost of higher education. South Carolina has one of the highest instate tuition. But Georgia and NC's tuition is cheaper and in my opinion have a better university system. I've gone to school in SC, GA, and NC. Tennessee offers free two year education I believe. I can't comment on Tennessee's university education quality or the cost.

If they pick one state over another I don't think they will be missing anything.

But I promise I'm not missing anything in life by not believing that Georgia is an oasis in a desert.
Sorry, but I cannot buy into this overly simplistic argument, and to say in one post that you have no love for Georgia and then that you don't hate it in the next smacks of disingenuousness. But then I've experienced the Sea Islands and gossamer beauty of the tidal estuaries, the historic charm of Savannah, Thomasville, Dahlonega, Madison and Washington, the majesty of Tallulah Gorge, Providence Canyon, Anna Ruby Falls and Brasstown Bald, spectacular gardens like Callaway, Barnsley, Gibbs and Atlanta Botanical and the hospitality of the finest and most open-hearted people on the planet. Georgia doesn't need Atlanta to prove anything.
"Homer?" Hell, I'll own it.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Sorry, but I cannot buy into this overly simplistic argument, and to say in one post that you have no love for Georgia and then that you don't hate it in the next smacks of disingenuousness. But then I've experienced the Sea Islands and gossamer beauty of the tidal estuaries, the historic charm of Savannah, Thomasville, Dahlonega, Madison and Washington, the majesty of Tallulah Gorge, Providence Canyon, Anna Ruby Falls and Brasstown Bald, spectacular gardens like Callaway, Barnsley, Gibbs and Atlanta Botanical and the hospitality of the finest and most open-hearted people on the planet. Georgia doesn't need Atlanta to prove anything.
"Homer?" Hell, I'll own it.
Opinions and feeling are complex. The opposite of love is not hate or so the phrase goes. I wouldn't say I'm really indifferent about the rest of Georgia. Georgia is enhanced because it has all the things you mentioned but also Atlanta. Without Atlanta, I'm not sure that Georgia could set itself apart from SC or AL. Alabama has some stunning places as well. Deserved or not, being called the Alabama of anything tends to be a negative.

All that being said, I wouldn't live anywhere else in the south except for Atlanta. I love big cities. Too conservative for my tastes. It is a great asset that Georgia has it all. But the OP doesn't like big cities so again I will say that the OP won't miss out on too much based on what they prefer if they chose Alabama over Georgia.

Edit: Meant to write that other areas outside of Atlanta are too conservative for my tastes.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
I really wish people could understand that guns are NOT the problem! PEOPLE are the problem. I own several guns, so don't my entire family and not ONCE have those guns hurt anyone!

Making new laws ONLY affect law abiding citizens, not the actual criminal! You can ban EVERYTHING and a criminal WILL get his hands on what he wants!

Taking guns, any type, away from law abiding citizens is about as smart as one guy getting a vasectomy because his neighbor has 15 kids! I'm so tired of rights of the law abiding citizen being affected because instead of blaming the PERPETRATOR, the gun gets the blame. How stupid!
Smh...

I seriously have not a clue why this country is the only one that worships at the altar of guns. My God...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia