Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:23 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Waste of time will never hold up in the courts and only will be an embarrassment for this state trying to compete with Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky in being backwards.
Nope, Alabama is not a part of this conversation...

Old 03-29-2019, 04:26 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Nope, Alabama is not a part of this conversation...
It's sad that one can say we've outdone Alabama.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's sad that one can say we've outdone Alabama.
Not really. I've always said both states are two sides of the same coin. This is why both states should be trying help one another rather than tearing one another down. The two states relationship should be like how NC/SC compliments one another.

Last edited by jero23; 03-30-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Not really...
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

In any event, kudos to Alabama for being better than Georgia on this issue. I'll leave it at that.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:57 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Posts are to be on topic; which means about our own issues here in GA and not Alabama - for instance.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
What Hollywood should understand, if they pull back that hurt those who work and depend on the film industry. If they withdraw because of politics, it show their heart was never for the community or people employed with them anyway. What will then make them different from that, which supposedly drove them away.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 03-30-2019 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
What Hollywood should understand, if they pull back that hurt those who work and depend on the film industry. If they withdraw because of politics, it show their heart was never for the community or people employed with them anyway. What makes them different from that, what supposedly drove them away.
Hollywood's aware of you say (otherwise, the boycott would have no teeth). That would be an unfortunate consequence. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by citidata18; 03-30-2019 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
One thing that I see as problematic for Georgia is so much of the state's livelihood is tied to one market/region -Atlanta, which also is the Capital. That is, you have state level politicians directly attempting and occasionally achieving significant impact on issues locally. In a state like Texas or even NC, I think local control is more significant and can counter-balance those on the extreme ends of the political spectrum. Also, I think the state's constitution plays a role. In Texas, the Governor has less power than one would think whereas the LT. Gov and Speaker have significant sway. But also mayors of Dallas, Houston, etc. have representatives who reflect great diversity. LARGE populations and big economic pull those in the capital can't ignore. The City of Atlanta, despite its brand, is itself not very large. I think that hinders its ability to control the narrative like say a Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth.
Great point. The city of Atlanta have two enemies: Suburban Atlanta, and the State of Georgia. However I do like the rise of Midtown and Buckhead and the wealth and human capital that its attracting. At the end of the days it is still about jobs. I am confident if the current state administration continues on this track, it will experience tremendous problems, when state tax revenue drops, and job loses in suburban and rural areas get worst. The state also must deal with the rising stars in the cities of Nashville and Charlotte - they want be able to play a double hand by pimping Atlanta's name, but secretly using politics to undermine the city potential for the next election. This strategy will backfire. Oh I miss Nathan Deal.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM

Does anyone know who was the 1 Democrat that voted for this bill, and the 2 Republicans that voted against it?

Old 03-30-2019, 02:18 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Great point. The city of Atlanta have two enemies: Suburban Atlanta, and the State of Georgia. However I do like the rise of Midtown and Buckhead and the wealth and human capital that its attracting. At the end of the days it is still about jobs. I am confident if the current state administration continues on this track, it will experience tremendous problems, when state tax revenue drops, and job loses in suburban and rural areas get worst. The state also must deal with the rising stars in the cities of Nashville and Charlotte - they want be able to play a double hand by pimping Atlanta's name, but secretly using politics to undermine the city potential for the next election. This strategy will backfire. Oh I miss Nathan Deal.
That's it right there. Many of the state's rural residents couldn't care less if Atlanta lost jobs and population if it meant the state would be even more conservative than it is now (of course that would ultimately hurt them but they either don't know or don't care) but the politicos know better, so they try to have it both ways but long-term, it's a losing strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia