Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were is next hotspot for growth in georgia?
Augusta 83 32.68%
Columbus 86 33.86%
Macon 38 14.96%
Savannah 83 32.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:57 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffg3 View Post
you have not provided any link to the cost of providence and i don't believe it will cost half as much as savannah river landing. The ritz carlton that is going to be built at the river landing will probaly cost as much as the entire providence project. :d
ha...............................:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
You have not provided any link to the cost of Providence and I don't believe it will cost half as much as Savannah River Landing. The Ritz Carlton that is going to be built at the River Landing will probaly cost as much as the entire Providence project.
Oh I never remember reading where a ritz was included......Where did you read that.....

Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 PM

214 posts, read 899,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Hotels have been going up all over Macon for years As well...You said "it will take about a decade of upscale projects like you are posting in Macon to catch up with what Savannah GA has to offer" well No one has yet to prove that and until that i stand confirmed......

All it proves is you haven't been to Savannah GA in many years if ever. I happen to have spent time in both cities.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
All it proves is you haven't been to Savannah GA in many years if ever. I happen to have spent time in both cities.
Well you have yet to prove it.........Stand confirmed

Old 04-19-2009, 02:10 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
Quote:
Well first of all where is you links where the cost of stated.... no link yet.... never mind i will look it up my self...

Well according to article its 800 mill not quite 1 billion...
Ambling Companies
But I'm not sure of the total cost of the Providence Community project But i'm sure it's more because not only does it includes huge Commercial and up scale Retail; but loft apartments and multi -sub divisions, town homes and single family housing.....
I 'm sure the town homes and single family homes start are starting in 250-350K or more each..........

From the pics in the yellow outlines the 4 phases of the commercial and retail, and the Amphitheater, multiple subdivisions and town homes are surrounding the retail/commercial projects.

The Red out line other big project in north Macon as well.Like the 450,000 sq ft. North winds (commercial/retail), (600,000 sq ft)Market place at Bass and (350,000 sq ft) Lull water village( retail) and the newly complete 800,000 sq ft. "Shoppes at River Crossing (new-open air mall) completed March 2008.....
www.shoppesatrivercrossing.com

South Macon
http://www.moonfamilyproperties.com/...alescharts.gif

And let not talk about the South Macon/bibb county developments........(Hartley station)Yet another Lifestyle/"Strip Center" is under construction in South Macon just off of I-75 South on Hartley Bridge Road. Moon Family Properties is behind this 1.1 million sqft project. It will include 1,700 single family units, two to four story condos, and apartment community, retail, dinning, a midrise hotel, and office space. The development will be on both sides of Hartley Bridge Rd. http://www.sofrangroup.com/pdf/Macon...%20Station.pdf
Columbus-based company wants to turn about 1,100 acres of undeveloped land into a $490 million mega-development in south Bibb County

The 700 block of Houston Road would be rezoned from agricultural to a planned development commercial district. The 39.23-acre site is located on the extreme southwestern portion of Quail Ridge, and the applicant plans seven outparcels and a 2.23-acre big-box retail center. The development would include about 293,400 square feet of commercial space. The outparcels "might consist of two convenience stores with retail gasoline, a bank, a mid-size retailer such as a Super Target, two or more restaurants, a drive-through cleaners, neighborhood health care facility and neighborhood retail," according to the report.

They have currently began construction on I-75/475 split and it is being reworked on a much larger scale

Northwest Macon Developments "Oppus-Shoppes of Macon"........

And this does include DT developments or all the road projects.....
All that planning and yet, just the other day, the new brand new open air mall filed for bankruptcy protection. Brand spanking new. All that planning is a waste of time, energy and money if these places cannot afford to stay open.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
All that planning and yet, just the other day, the new brand new open air mall filed for bankruptcy protection. Brand spanking new. All that planning is a waste of time, energy and money if these places cannot afford to stay open.
Actually it was the mall owner that filed for bankruptcy. To be fair, since they own all or part of 200 malls across the country including four in Atlanta, I doubt that the bankruptcy has much to do with the project in Macon.

As for the thread topic, it would depend on your definition of "major city". I think Augusta because it is already the largest with a solid growth rate, and Savannah because of the job creation due to the port and the potential for more are the most likely to lead Georgia's second tier cities in growth.

Last edited by J2rescue; 04-19-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 04-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Actually it was the mall owner that filed for bankruptcy. To be fair, since they own all or part of 200 malls across the country including four in Atlanta, I doubt that the bankruptcy has much to do with the project in Macon.
Yeah, you are correct. But it is ironic that both malls in Macon are having money problems... directly or indirectly. Some on here will brag that Macon is, quite frankly, the center of the universe. The rest of us notice when we see empty buildings and parking lots and two malls in financial troubles. All these proposed projects and there is not enough money to keep what they have afloat.
That was my point.......

Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post

I think Augusta because it is already the largest with a solid growth rate, and Savannah because of the job creation due to the port and the potential for more are the most likely to lead Georgia's second tier cities in growth.

Well actually the New Mall is Co-owned by General Growth Properties Inc. meaning that GGP is half owner, Which the bankruptcy is "NOT" due to the project in Macon failing, which some people hopes happens....which will NOT....
Here is the article:
Co-developer of north Bibb's Shoppes at River Crossing files for bankruptcy - Breaking News - Macon (http://www.macon.com/149/story/684982.html - broken link)

I think that Macon and Augusta will be the two running for that title Right now its going to be hard for any city to take off but once this recession end we shall see which one takes that crown.......

Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I think that Macon and Augusta will be the two running for that title Right now its going to be hard for any city to take off but once this recession end we shall see which one takes that crown.......
Wrong again. Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Albany, Athens.... all of 'em show progress. Not Macon.

By the way... how is that reputation thing workin' out for ya? Oh, I see... still at 19. I think I have gained 78 rep points since we last talked. I see where you still got it goin' on my friend......

Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 AM

80 posts, read 266,718 times
Thumbs up next ga city

HOT spots are mostly part of the nomenclature of promoters who can quote you population but have little idea how many households or how many building permit UNITS have been added annually.
I always say, I dont care what the population figure is, people dont stand still to be counted. In the long run (as in the Eagles song) as long as an area is adding some good jobs, and households, and experiencing decent income gains, it is OK. Maybe not hot. But hot can turn to cold really fast. Look at Vegas.

If I were hiring now, I would probably choose to interview only the individual who provided some Savannah stats.
Any wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia