Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

FYI Milton is minimum 1 acre zoning. No way OP’s budget will cover anything new there. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 08:12 AM

22 posts, read 21,794 times
Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You are throwing such a wide net for places to live, all over the southern US. In the salary range you would be looking at, Im pretty sure there would be places that would suit your needs anywhere near by. I would think it would be much easier for you to narrow down your job search first, and then it will be much easier for you to find an area to live in. As you've seen from the answers to your many threads, theres really nice areas in all the states and cities you are looking at.
I apologize. I am not trying to waste anyone's time here. My husband asked me to do the research and narrow down a few states/areas we could look at when covid gets better. We will take the trip to the areas we like and personally see what we think. I can't get real life opinions from google. From asking the questions on here I have found for example that in Texas we would be best suited for the Houston suburbs just for our particular family nothing against the other areas. I also learned that FL, NC, SC are not going to work for us as a whole. I love MS but he is not willing to go there he wants more of the actual south.

Right now I'm thinking our options are the Houston TX area or the Athens GA area.

In regards to jobs he is an executive chef he can literally work anywhere. Right now hes in NYC and has a ridiculous level of experience so it would be easy to find him employment. For me im in pharma/validation/QA. I have worked for the top companies in the world and have extensive experience. I should also be able to find something.

Before asking my questions I first look up jobs in the area for what we do. I check salaries to see how much of a pay cut it will be. I look at property taxes and general home prices. I check for safety and school systems. Once I narrow down an area and look up houses on realtor to see if they fit what were wanting I come here and post the area I have found.

Without this group I would have never narrowed down the entire state of TX to one area that I really like, on paper at least.

I am sorry if I am causing a disruption or over posting. If you have another way for me to ask people this info please let me know. I would love to hear it. I did think this site was designed for people to help each other out. Again I didn't mean to annoy you or anyone else. I am just trying to set my family up for success and trying to locate where in the entire country you would be best suited to live is extremely stressful and intimidating. I have to cast the net out to see what comes back in.

Thank you

Old 07-10-2020, 08:46 AM

22 posts, read 21,794 times
I really appreciate all the thoughtful posts. I live in one of the best on paper towns in the state. I have an elementary school in my backyard. 1/2 of my kids class lives in our development but no one gets together. People stay in their own homes and keep to themselves. I wanted an environment the kids are outside playing and its just friendly and nice.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:18 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I mean, the thing is that Atlanta is a city and people are very busy here just like up North. None of the suburbs mentioned are going to be like Mayberry in the 50s. Maybe some far-flung exurbs like Ball Ground or Jefferson, but the closer in you get, the more city-like it's going to be. To be honest, kids don't play outside as much anymore anywhere because they're either in extracurricular activities or inside on their phones. Just a fact. We bought bikes for my kids when they were younger and I can count on two hands how often they've used them. Families are just busy. All I'm trying to say is don't think you're going to find utopia down here that you couldn't find in NJ unless you're willing to consider much smaller towns further out from Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:28 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear621 View Post
I really appreciate all the thoughtful posts. I live in one of the best on paper towns in the state. I have an elementary school in my backyard. 1/2 of my kids class lives in our development but no one gets together. People stay in their own homes and keep to themselves. I wanted an environment the kids are outside playing and its just friendly and nice.
Sounds similar to our experience living in the burbs outside of Boston. Something I observed, having lived most of my life in the greater Boston area, is that people up in the northeast generally stay in the same area and raise their families in that area. So they already have an established social group, which consists of childhood friends (and their children), cousins (and their children), aunts, uncles, etc. They are not quick to bring in new people to that social group, so they can come across as standoff-ish.

With the greater Atlanta area, most people that move here do not know anyone, so we are all kind of in the same boat (being transplants), and are more open to meeting new families and creating new friendships and relationships. You'll notice the difference right away.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear621 View Post
It does exist in the Atlanta suburbs - but I think you are a little light in your housing budget unless you want to live much further out.

I agree with CMMom. Mayberry doesn’t exist here.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:45 AM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
carebear21 I can speak with limited experience on Peachtree City since I've only been here for about 7 months. Others can tell you much more detail. For 3K or less with what you want, your options will be limited in PTC, but there are options. For the other things you desire, I couldn't recommend a better place than PTC. I'll share with you a post from another thread instead of retyping my experience on those things you mentioned. I will also add that you would be in one of the best school districts in the metro with PTC having some of the best schools within that district.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
CRTS during the lockdown I would walk those paths for hours. In the morning it's like a nature reserve with deer crossing your path out of nowhere and birds chirping all around, and the sun struggling to break through the tree canopy. The evenings with the fireflies and crickets make you feel like a kid out in the country woods. Walking through neighborhoods but through the woods is great. At the same time you can leave the paths and walk the neighborhood streets. I'll do that in the older subdivisions because it feels like you walked into a 70s or 80s movie depending on the subdivision.

I know what you are saying and feeling about not wanting to feel uncomfortable. While I was active duty military I lived in some places like Nebraska and Idaho where if I traveled too far away from the military installation into more rural areas I stood out like a sore thumb in public places. I did feel out of place and would not want to live in those places, though I was never made to feel not welcomed. Now I can't speak on rural Georgia, but in the Atlanta metro I don't think you going to find places where you feel like you're not welcomed or wanted. Peachtree City doesn't have any minority above the single digits, but I can honestly say its the friendliest and most welcoming place I have ever lived, and I have lived in a lot of places across the country and globe. Pretty much the entire street had visited the house to welcome us within the first two months and now we are friends or friendly with most of the subdivision. Truthfully I get tired of smiling, waving and saying hello sometimes. Since I still wear the Air Force uniform for work I'm having at least 3-4 conversations with random strangers if I stop in any of the grocery stores as there is a very large number of prior or retired military pilots here now flying for Delta. My black friends here would tell you the exact same things though, and trust me, we all know each other. . My advice is to not let a lack of diversity drive you away from considering any area. If you do find yourself actively looking in this area, know that you and your husband can reach out and the wife and I would happily show you around and give you a golf cart tour.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
carebear21 I can speak with limited experience on Peachtree City since I've only been here for about 7 months. Others can tell you much more detail. For 3K or less with what you want, your options will be limited in PTC, but there are options. For the other things you desire, I couldn't recommend a better place than PTC. I'll share with you a post from another thread instead of retyping my experience on those things you mentioned. I will also add that you would be in one of the best school districts in the metro with PTC having some of the best schools within that district.
I actually think PTC is the best bet for OP. The big question will be employment, which should never be assumed to be “we’re skilled so we can find a job anywhere”. Commuting from PTC will be miserable if the job is in Alpharetta or Marietta.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:53 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Suburbs of a city like Nashville or Birmingham are going to be a lot more of what you are seeking.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:40 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
I would go with Woodstock--it's booming, somewhat charming and you would be drivable to some decent restaurants for the chef, especially since I'm guessing he would be traveling at off-peak traffic hours. Peachtree City would be great except there aren't as many upscale restaurants and it's pretty isolated. New upscale restaurants on the southside will probably be chef-owned, not as many hotels etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia