Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,921 times

Advertisements

have a house for sale and hear that people are submitting these really low offers. just got one and they offered us basically what we paid for the house, plus the realtor fees. we have put alot of $ into improvements. our realtor tells us that this is the recent trend, to submit really low offers. would never even think of offering a homeowner so low as they did. we don't even what to respond because i don't think they will come up, but realtor thinks we should.
they even want us to pay for their inspection and things that are not of the norm and have nothing to do with house, but the yard - which we have just recently put over $2000 into prof landscaping. We had an offer back in Nov, but the buyers were not qualified and their first bid was well over this recent offer.

don't think the current buyers are serious. plus they have 3 houses on their list and guess they are putting out these low bids to to several to see if they get a bite.

has anyone else experience this or know of anyone else who has similiar?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by sunny505; 05-01-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
What you paid for the house and the cost of the improvements you put in are completely irrelavent- all that matters is what today's market value is. We bought our house in Canton last summer, and we couldn't sell it today for what we paid for it- the market has slipped. Of course, we're not trying to sell it anytime even remotely soon, so I'm not worried about that.

Regarding the "low offer", it's only "low" if you've got your house priced too "high"- the buyers are probably offering slightly below market value, and of course they're going to look for concessions like paying for inspections, etc.- it's a buyer's market at the moment.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:35 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,870 times
The previous poster is exactly right, it is a buyer's market. What you consider "low ball" may be what the house is really worth today, not yesterday, last week, or last year. I understand that you made improvements to the house, but a buyer should not be asked to pay for them just because you thought you wanted or needed them. We currently are buyers and are still amazed at how many home sellers are asking for last year's prices. I would consider a counter-offer on these buyers, at least you got an offer! If you don't want to sell it for close to what you paid for it then I would definitely take it off the market and wait until the market improves. But don't let them get away!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
I concur. The market will reveal what a home is really worth today.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 PM

The market has nothing to do with what our house is worth. The market is just what people make it. The reason it is so low is because of all the foreclosures which was caused by the banks giving loans to people who are not credit worthy and don't pay their bills.
Why shouldn't we want them to pay for our new improvements, they will be the ones to enjoy them. If they don't want them they should look at a houses without them. Also the only reason they are looking at our house is because of the improvements.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Graywolf73,

You wrote "I understand that you made improvements to the house, but a buyer should not be asked to pay for them ....."

just wondering, when's the last time you bought a new furnace, a/c unit, roof, new bathroom, etc. for someone that you don't know ? Good luck finding a home owner who will give you new fixtures for free.

"Last years prices" ? Homes are not suppose to depreciate in value unless they are not maintained or they were not built with quality material. If your looking for homes with a big price drop, you should be very concerned about the home. I know of a home that was sold for a lot less and it was not a good built home.

Last edited by sunny505; 05-02-2008 at 10:33 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny505 View Post
The market has nothing to do with what our house is worth. The market is just what people make it. The reason it is so low is because of all the foreclosures which was caused by the banks giving loans to people who are not credit worthy and don't pay their bills.
Why shouldn't we want them to pay for our new improvements, they will be the ones to enjoy them. If they don't want them they should look at a houses without them. Also the only reason they are looking at our house is because of the improvements.
These statements just go to show that you have absolutely no clue how the real estate market works, and you're destined to sit on your house for a very long time.

"The market" has everything to do with what your house is worth- "the market" sets your house's worth- the amount you paid for the house, the amount you put into improvements, or the amount you want to sell for have nothing at all to do with it's worth.

If I was to go and buy a rusty old 1950 Packard for $500, and send it off to a restoration company to have them strip it down to bare metal, clean, repair and paint every last part, rebuild the engine, install a new interior, and put it all back together at a cost of $150,000, I'd have a total investment of $150,500, and a car that has a "worth" on the open market of probably $45,000. In my mind, of course, it'd be "worth" much more (like at least $150,500, right?), but the open market wouldn't think so or be willing to pay that.

Four years ago I could have gone through the same process with a 1970 Hemi Barracuda convertible (though the restoration would likely have cost $250k), and sold that car at auction for over $2 million. If I did the same thing today, I "might" get $300k. At next year's auction, I'd probably lose money, because the collector car "market" isn't as strong as it was 3 years ago when people had money to throw away and saw these cars as "investements". Sound like another market (hint- your house is in it.....).

Old 05-03-2008, 10:25 AM

First of all, your comparing apples to oranges when comparing cars to homes. Cars "Depreciate" in value and homes "Appreciate" in value. So therefore, you have no clue about houses if your comparing them to cars. This is just confusing the issue. Cars can be fun to collect, but in the end they are a hunk of metal and just there to get people from a to b. Not everyone is a car collector with a lot of money to spend on them.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:48 PM

210 posts, read 545,913 times
Looking on the bright side you did get an offer but I can
understand your unhappiness. I've heard of sellers realtors going back to the buyers realtor and saying come back with a serious offer. I've heard of low bids not being responded to. I've heard it's just a test by the buyers and that you should go back with whatever concessions you would give if you got a reasonable offer so you may meet in the middle. What does your realtor suggest you go back with? How long have you lived in the house? Certain upgrades unfortunately don't add to the value and I think landscaping falls into that category. You paying for the inspection seems a bit too much.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:20 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,136 times
Sunny505 I wish you the best of luck in the sale of your home. I know it can be a very stressful time. Please keep us posted on the outcome. I'll be very interested to hear how it all turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia