Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:45 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,160,062 times

Advertisements

Biden won over 60% of the vote in Atlanta,Augusta,Columbus,Macon and Savannah.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:47 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Democrats’ blue wave becomes shallow water fairly quickly in Georgia

https://saportareport.com/democrats-...reports/david/

SOURCE: Saporta Report
The figure he uses in that article is already old; presently there's 7248 votes in favor of Biden.

No one would spill ink stretching to "wave" metaphor more than it's worth (I will right now ), but you definitely need a larger tide to overtake the current.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:30 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Looks like we flipped. Is this the new south?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It has been for a little while now; it's starting to show politically.
Otakumaster asks a really good question and Mutiny77 makes an excellent point here.

The Democrats’ apparent Presidential election win in Georgia for the first time since 1992 (pending the full completion of the vote count and a likely recount afterwards) would (if it holds) be the latest incarnation of the continuing rise of ‘the New South,’ which seemingly started to rise in earnest back in the 1950’s, with the rise of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement in states like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina.

The post-World War II rise of modern city/metros like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Miami, Orlando and Tampa, starting in the 1950’s and the rise of the suburbs outside of those cities during the last half of the 20th Century, also were earlier signals of the rise of ‘the New South’ in previous decades.

The rise of the white-collar professional class (with the rise of a domineering business hub in a city like Atlanta, and the rise of a massive financial hub in a city in Charlotte), the rise of the technology industry (with aerospace industry hubs in places like Huntsville, AL and Cobb County, GA; with a large tech hub in the North Carolina Research Triangle, etc.), the rise of Southern academia (in places like Atlanta with institutions like the AUC, Emory and GT; in the NC Triangle/Piedmont with institutions like UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, etc.), the rise of Southern manufacturing (in places like the South Carolina Upcountry/I-85 SC Piedmont corridor), and the rise of Southern tourism (particularly in states like Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee) have all played a role in the rise of ‘the New South’ after World War II.

Politically, before the current rise of progressive Democrats in Southern metro areas (like the current rise of a racially/ethnically diverse progressive Democratic Party majority in the expansive Atlanta suburbs), the rise of ‘the New South’ has also been previously signaled by the rise of moderate ‘Dixiecrat’/conservative Southern Democrats across the South after 1960, as well as by the rise of the Southern GOP, starting in places like Cobb County and the North Atlanta suburbs starting around about 1980 and after.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:05 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,160,062 times

Old 11-07-2020, 11:59 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Looks like we flipped. Is this the new south?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Democrats’ blue wave becomes shallow water fairly quickly in Georgia

https://saportareport.com/democrats-...reports/david/

SOURCE: Saporta Report
The story in the link that LynnHarris1 shared raises the point that Democrats’ biggest success will not necessarily just be in apparently possibly carrying Georgia in the Presidential election, but probably maybe even more in taking control of long Republican-controlled and dominated county commission boards in Cobb, Gwinnett and Henry counties.

From the looks of it, it looks like Democrats took control of the Cobb County Board of Commissioners with black female Democratic candidates apparently winning 3 seats on the board, including the Cobb Commission Chairman’s seat, where Commissioner Lisa Cupid, a Black female Democrat, defeated incumbent Cobb Commission Chairman Mike Boyce, a moderate white Republican.

Democrats also appear to now control all five seats on the long GOP-dominated Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners after Tuesday’s election. Democrats held no seats on the five-seat Gwinnett Commission board before the 2018 elections.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:10 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
Stacey Abrams could be governor of Georgia at this very moment. The election results aren’t shocking one bit. Cobb and Gwinnett not being Republican strongholds anymore just speeded up the process.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:45 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Stacey Abrams could be governor of Georgia at this very moment. The election results aren’t shocking one bit. Cobb and Gwinnett not being Republican strongholds anymore just speeded up the process.
She's running against Kemp in two years, I predict she'll win by a comfortable margin.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:49 AM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
I hope Atlanta doesn't become the next: Chicago, Baltimore, LA, DC, Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco, Philadelphia, ect..

When cities turn Blue, and time passes, the quality-of-life trend, under Democrat control, is poor.

I moved to the Atlanta metro due to a job transfer 25 years ago. I left 3 years ago, due to high taxes, overcrowding, traffic, weather, & no Gulf/Ocean.

For me, I got out at the right time. Driving through Southern Gwinnett & Cobb Counties, & listening to the local news about the crime there, was all the foreshadowing I needed. I could see the urban sprawl heading my way, and all the bad things that come with it. What happened to Buckhead was a shame.

Georgia served my purposes well, and I hope it can buck the trend, & avoid the pitfalls of Democrat policies. I don't see Democrats doing anything to fix the cities I listed above. It's sad to see once great cities crumble under Democrat control.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
She's running against Kemp in two years, I predict she'll win by a comfortable margin.
Don’t count your votes just yet. Trump will be gone and with him all the rhetoric. I suspect many in Cobb voted for Biden as an anti-Trump vote but still would prefer a Republican Governor.

It’s also possible Biden will name her to a cabinet position.

COVID will also be in the rear view mirror in 2022, so early voting for health reasons will be less of a concern.

Plus, 2 years of no Trump will also likely diminish her PR value on the talk show circuit. After all, when you have a woman minority VP (and I expect Harris to be very visible unlike Pence) how will that impact Abrams’ message about voter suppression and systemic racism?

Will all of the hosts want Abrams or will they want to speak with Harris? Abrams who?

This election was as much (or more) about getting rid of Trump than electing Biden or approving a Democrat ticket. We will see in January if this is true when one or two Republican senators head back to DC.

Last edited by markjames68; 11-08-2020 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-08-2020, 07:26 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia