Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:20 PM

20 posts, read 39,606 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving with my family to the US in about 8 weeks. We are initially moving to Panama City Fl for a month and to check out the Nth Florida area. My husband (a US citizen who left California 27 years ago) has also applied for jobs in Georgia. After many years in London we are looking for a slower pace of life. We have 2 young children. One of my concearns is how multi cultural is Northern Florida. My eldest child (black) has many friends both black and white as this is not an issue in London. Is it really a huge issue in the States? We are planning to put the children into private school and now after reading some threads I am beginning to get worried as to whether they will make friends in a predominantly white environment. I can't believe this is going to be an issue, is it? Also are all the private schools church affiliated? Does anyone know of any non denominational private schools networks in Florida? Any suggestions of more liberal possibly bohemian areas to move to would be greatly appreciated. I love America and can't wait to move there but I am becoming increasingly worried. Many thanks.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quatro said:

<One of my concearns is how multi cultural is Northern Florida. My eldest child (black) has many friends both black and white as this is not an issue in London. Is it really a huge issue in the States? We are planning to put the children into private school and now after reading some threads I am beginning to get worried as to whether they will make friends in a predominantly white environment. I can't believe this is going to be an issue, is it? >

There are several military bases in the area and FL has many transplants so you might find what you seek.

Naval Air Station Pensacola - The Cradle of Navy Aviation
City of Pensacola - Official Website

As for private schools, etc--You might get some response in the schools thread at the top of the Atlanta forum. Lastminutemom is knowledgeable about education and may have some suggestions for you.

From your post it seems you might enjoy living intown in Atlanta and there are many who can advise you on that.
FWIW, there are many corporations with headquarters in Atlanta so you will not find it to be very bohemian. You will find people who are purposeful and very busy trying to care for families and improve the quality of life as best they can. Plenty of crime, too and all the negative aspects that plague municipalities across the nation and world.
You have to be able to 'Grabbit and growl' as the Good Ol' Boys of the South say.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-06-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Thank you. Also, what do you mean by transplants?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Thank you. Also, what do you mean by transplants?
Dictionary.com

My supper is burning. You'll figure it out.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 AM

337 posts, read 793,946 times
Default Transplants

Quatro - Welcome to the States. I think that by transplants, Takeahike means people from the Northern US. Many people in the US leave the cold snowy Notheast and Midwest to come to the south. Better weather and lower cost of living.

Coming from London, I think you'll be surprised how affordable the South will be. I think that you should take some time and look around. Many nice areas - Altanta, Charlotte (NC), Birmingham (AL), Raleigh (NC), North Carolina Coast, South Carolina Coast, Medium to small towns throught out the Southeast... Panama City is a beach town that will be swamped with tourists this summer (so it will be tough to get a good read on the city).

I lived about 90 miles outside a London for 5 years...So you may be in for a cultural shock. You will be able to get the Beeb on BBC America.

Cheers, Mate

Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 AM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Hi, I am moving with my family to the US in about 8 weeks. We are initially moving to Panama City Fl for a month and to check out the Nth Florida area.

One of my concerns is how multi cultural is Northern Florida.

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
I think your making a 'tentative move' to check out the N FL area is wise.
How 'multicultural' is that area? Not very, IMO...others may disagree.
There are precious few places in the SE US that I would describe as 'bohemian'...Atlanta or Miami are about the only places where you might have a comfort level, and then I would be very selective about the neighborhood you settle in.
Atlanta would be my recommendation; you are, after all, used to London and going to a small southern community might be a complete culture shock.
There are some neighborhoods here that have a laid back, 'small town' feel...they are:
Morningside
Virginia-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Poncey-Highland
Druid Hills
Decatur
Kirkwood
East Lake
A nice plus for Atlanta is that there is a sizable (and well-organized) network of UK expats...I've known a few over the years and they seem to enjoy life here.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM

218 posts, read 606,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta would be my recommendation; you are, after all, used to London and going to a small southern community might be a complete culture shock.
There are some neighborhoods here that have a laid back, 'small town' feel...they are:
Morningside
Virginia-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Poncey-Highland
Druid Hills
Decatur
Kirkwood
East Lake
A nice plus for Atlanta is that there is a sizable (and well-organized) network of UK expats...I've known a few over the years and they seem to enjoy life here.
There are good suggestions in this list as far as "bohemian" neighborhoods.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the info, very helpful, lots of food for thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustabuckeye View Post
Quatro - Welcome to the States. I think that by transplants, Takeahike means people from the Northern US. Many people in the US leave the cold snowy Notheast and Midwest to come to the south. Better weather and lower cost of living.

Coming from London, I think you'll be surprised how affordable the South will be. I think that you should take some time and look around. Many nice areas - Altanta, Charlotte (NC), Birmingham (AL), Raleigh (NC), North Carolina Coast, South Carolina Coast, Medium to small towns throught out the Southeast... Panama City is a beach town that will be swamped with tourists this summer (so it will be tough to get a good read on the city).

I lived about 90 miles outside a London for 5 years...So you may be in for a cultural shock. You will be able to get the Beeb on BBC America.

Cheers, Mate

Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful.

[quote=LovinDecatur;3690891]I think your making a 'tentative move' to check out the N FL area is wise

There are some neighborhoods here that have a laid back, 'small town' feel...

Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Default Florida, or Georgia?

Quote:
Hi, I am moving with my family to the US in about 8 weeks. We are initially moving to Panama City Fl for a month and to check out the Nth Florida area. My husband (a US citizen who left California 27 years ago) has also applied for jobs in Georgia. After many years in London we are looking for a slower pace of life. We have 2 young children. One of my concearns is how multi cultural is Northern Florida. My eldest child (black) has many friends both black and white as this is not an issue in London. Is it really a huge issue in the States? We are planning to put the children into private school and now after reading some threads I am beginning to get worried as to whether they will make friends in a predominantly white environment. I can't believe this is going to be an issue, is it? Also are all the private schools church affiliated? Does anyone know of any non denominational private schools networks in Florida? Any suggestions of more liberal possibly bohemian areas to move to would be greatly appreciated. I love America and can't wait to move there but I am becoming increasingly worried. Many thanks.

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Well, at least be glad you are looking at North Florida and not South. I've lived in Georgia, twice, most recently 97 to present, South Florida prior to that for 8 years, and Atlanta from 83 to 89 when I actually thought it might be nice to live in South Florida.....8 years of people who don't pay their debts, the very definition of rude, and a large group of just generally nasty individuals all the way around. But hey, don't take my word for it, just ask ANYONE in the service business...any service, in South Florida.....heh heh heh....

If one had to live in Florida under the pursuits of which you speak, Jacksonville, Sarasota, and the pan-handle come to mind. Me? I prefer Georgia where people will at least wave, hold a door open for you, and say hello even if it is killing them.

Schools? Crapshoot there. Florida and Georgia consistently rank in the bottom nationally second only to Mississippi (wow, spelled it correctly the first time) and perhaps, Louisiana (Got that one right too!).

In either case, the weather is moderate, forecast for jobs over the next 20 years is excellent, cost of living in Georgia is quite manageable with a moderately higher cost in Florida.....

Racism? Alive and well. And don't tell me you sing cumbaya in England either. If you did, the Pak's, Turks, and Hindu's wouldn't feel so pissed. No place is perfect. Florida and Georgia are no exception. The racism that is felt comes from generations of tolerance and hate dished in equal proportions.

Whites tend to be wary, Blacks the same......a somewhat peaceful coexistence exists with the occassional shooting or stabbing to spice things up a bit. Ownership of firearms and the ability to conceal them are equally easy in either state with Georgia being the lower cost-provider of such license.

Arm yourself. Not for the impending but the what if? scenario. Overall, it's rather gently poplulated with people ready to keep what is theirs? As long as you don't come in with the "Europeans know it all, know what is best for mankind, are cultured beyond comparison and stick your nose in the air like the French" you will be fine.

Arrogance is never appreciated anywhere. Probably no more so than in the South of the US. Mind your manners, be who you really are and you will probably find people that are fascinated with your background and history. NO kidding. Act the aforementioned and prepare yourself to deal with every evil hypocrite the South, and America in general, has to offer.

And these guys shoot back.

Probably sage advice anyone anywhere should follow? Welcome to America and the South. Your going to love it here....eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia