Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 AM

64 posts, read 710,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzman View Post
Worst in Georgia: 1. Atlanta 2. Near Atlanta 3. Around Atlanta 4. Atlanta area 5. Anywhere close to Atlanta, all because of high violent crime rate, terrible traffic, rude drivers, no personality and half of the residents do not speak recognizable english.
What you say is true, anywhere near ATL is crime ridden, horrible traffic, rude people. Atl isn't the south anymore. Moving from CT is going to be culture shock but I would say my list would go like this:
Best places to live:
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega
- Cleveland- Good place to buy real estate
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live:
- Albany
- Dawson
- Bambridge
- Decatur
- Marietta
- Conyers
- Lithonia
- Bankhead
-Barnesville

Oh and I have lived near and am very versed in these areas. My opinion is definitely an informed one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 06:47 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,712 times
what about the Athens Area?

Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM

26 posts, read 448,599 times
I visited Atlanta recently and was horrified by what I saw there; the crime is scary there. The vibes are bad; the other drivers were among the worst I've ever seen . I could not wait to leave ATL.
I thought ATL would be a great place to relocate because of the opportunities there. I am SOOOO glad that my husband vetoed both Atlanta and FL when we discussed relocation two years ago. Whew! That was close.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,658 times
Best:
Dublin
Warner Robins
Forsyth
Bolingbroke
East Dublin (outside of town- in the country)

Worse
In or around Douglas
Savannah
Macon
Atlanta
Newnan or Lagrange

Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM

47 posts, read 652,638 times
Default Dawson County

Just curious, why would you include Dawson County as one of the 5 worst? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 287,895 times
Default Best Places to Live in GA

I don't understand why someone posted these places as the best to live. I'm not sure if he is THAT informed.

in GA.Best places to live:
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live:
- Albany
- Dawson
- Bambridge
- Decatur
- Marietta
- Conyers
- Lithonia
- Bankhead
-Barnesville

I am from Americus Ga and live in Providence RI. Americus is the home to Habatat for Humanity. I go home a few times a year. Americus is a very beautiful Victorian town and you can get a historic house --a fixer upper for a song. The winters are absolutely great--summer is like an oven. There's not much in the way of resturants and shopping--(only a superwalmart) for that you would have to travel to Albany--40 minutes away---but if you are looking for a quality quiet life-Americus is a good place to live. Resturants: Le Hacienda (Mexican) Granny's Kitchen for good southern food and Glady's Kitchen--soul food--for the best fried chicken in the south! You can buy nearly everything in the grocery that you can find in larger cities.

My opinion (Brink Bush)

These are mountain towns--pretty and quiet.--in the mountains.
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega

These places are horrible and in the middle of nowhere.
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live: (according to larryb)

- Albany--nice, ecomomically happening, much of the historic areas are destroyed--two Starbucks stores in the city! ---people there are really trying to make something happen with the downtown.
- Dawson--small beautiful town, many historic houses worth seeing--30 miles from Albany. (Major producer of peanut butter)
- Bambridge--near Atlanta--don't know.
- Decatur--some parts are nice--Little 5 Points is quite bohemian.
- Marietta-suburban Atlanta--crowed.
- Conyers-suburban Atlanta--spread out-
- Lithonia--don't know
- Bankhead--don't know
-Barnesville--near Macon--lookes like from the website they are really trying to make it a happening place.

Macon Ga is a pre-Civil War city. It is very historic and very very beautiful and a great place to live--a historic treasure.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,658 times
Macon Georgia is a crack town with DROVES of people leaving for the surrounding towns of Gray and Warner Robins.....The crime is rediculous and the economy is worse!!!
You DEFINATELY arent informed with that statement on Macon...

Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM

63 posts, read 564,793 times
Default 5 best and worst places in GA(metro ATL)

Hi,
I will try to answer this question. I think that the 5 best places are Newnan,Peachtree City,Fayetteville,Roswell and Marietta. I think that the 5 worst would be Clayton County,Dekalb County,East Point,College Park and Southwest Atlanta. All of these places are near the Atlanta area. Newnan is about 30 miles southwest of Atlanta with very little crime.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 290,629 times
I wont mention the bad towns...too many and not enough time...

I always liked these towns though

Athens
Madison
Decatur (within city limits)

Old 01-12-2007, 10:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkbush View Post
I don't understand why someone posted these places as the best to live. I'm not sure if he is THAT informed.
- Albany--nice, ecomomically happening, much of the historic areas are destroyed--two Starbucks stores in the city! ---people there are really trying to make something happen with the downtown.
-

I used to travel to Albany all the time on business, but this was in the late 80's and early 90's. In my opinion, using those times as a basis, it was probably one of the worst cities in the U.S!, not only Georgia. I guess they based all the local jobs and industry on a tire plant (depressing enough), once the tire plant closed, the town shut down. Out of business stores, shut down malls, people leaving, abandoned houses, aimless unemployed people walking around, just depressing. Haven't seen anything like it south of Gary Indiana. Glad to see it's making a comeback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia