Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
You obviously have not spent much time in Disgusta.. I would say over 20 years in the city is enough reason.. but a few days is enough time to loathe the place.
I have an Aunt and uncle who is a Colonel in the Army.They raised 4 girls through the school system in Evans and Richmond over the last 8years.One is at Duke the other starts Georgia Southern The fall.2 of them speak French as a second language fluently.Their mothe (my Aunt)grew up not in Milen and Statesboro,Georgia.Augusta then,as you know now,is the main city in that whole area.I have visited family and friends in Augusta since i was born.No i never lived there but I always enjoyed it because of the old homes that reminded me of the homes on Savannah.I agree withs some of your assessments of Augusta.Augusta has many tools to sharpen if the council members and mayors continuing to work together .A city like Camden ,N.J. Now thats a place thatlooks really beyond any help.Go to Camden and you see what makes a city really suckby most standards.The only place i can honestly say is really bad is Camden ,N.J.Anyone that has been there will agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murt View Post
Hello. I'd appreciate any feedback re: what it is like teaching public middle or high school in Athens, GA. I am entertaining a move from LV, NV to Athens, GA, however, various posts indicate that the majority of public schools in Athens are bad-true, false, any particulars? I have taught at risk student populations in LV and NYC. This type of classroom enviornment is not an easy job. I'd hate to get a job offer in Athens at a public school, move there, buy a home, then, end up teaching in a really rough classroom. Are there any Athenian, GA, teacher, parents, etc. who can provide more feedback on this issue? I hear wonderful things about Athens regarding its culture, friendly people, and the energy created by the UG. Overall, what are the pros and cons of teaching public school and living in Athens, GA? Are the students behaviors that bad? Are ther a lot of kids in gangs? Drugs, crime (at present, there are no job openings in Jackson or Oconee Counties for my subject area)?
I absolutely love Athens, and I think you will too. It's a small city with big city culture.. so you get the best of both worlds.. and the university population brings in alot of diversity.. and it gives a young exuberance to the whole place.. but Athens is also becoming a top choice for retirees.. generally it has a low cost of living and the retired UGA alums like being able to attend the home games relive their times as students at UGA. I never had to put children through school when I lived in Athens.. but I think it all depends on your neighborhood.. as for high schools I have heard that Clarke Central is preferred to Cedar Shoals.. but generally the public schools in Oconee County are more coveted.. and you are really only about a ten to 15 minute drive from central athens in Oconee county. My top choice would be to live in Athens. I really like the 5 points and Cobbham neighborhoods.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:04 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
I absolutely love Athens, and I think you will too. It's a small city with big city culture.. so you get the best of both worlds.. and the university population brings in alot of diversity.. and it gives a young exuberance to the whole place.. but Athens is also becoming a top choice for retirees.. generally it has a low cost of living and the retired UGA alums like being able to attend the home games relive their times as students at UGA. I never had to put children through school when I lived in Athens.. but I think it all depends on your neighborhood.. as for high schools I have heard that Clarke Central is preferred to Cedar Shoals.. but generally the public schools in Oconee County are more coveted.. and you are really only about a ten to 15 minute drive from central athens in Oconee county. My top choice would be to live in Athens. I really like the 5 points and Cobbham neighborhoods.
And the B-52s are from there! A good band from the 80s/90s

Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
And the B-52s are from there! A good band from the 80s/90s
So was REM. Also a good band.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Smile Woodstock is nice

My son, his wife and 4 year old daughter moved here from Delaware three years ago. They are in a development called The Woodlands which is in Cherokee county (lower taxes that Fulton). It is off Highway 92. Lots of shopping and resturants. It is a family friendly community. Nicely landscaped throughout. There are several price ranges within. Nice clubhouse and pools. They tell me that the schools are the best in the area. The annual dues are a little higher than most. They most likely have a website you can go to browse. Good Luck

Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 8,484 times
Default I So Agree With U

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Boston and San Francisco are calling you. They are just a tad more expensive to live than Savannah though.

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME!!!!! THANK GOD THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO SEES WHAT I SEE. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS I AM A WOMEN. THE MEN OR THE NATIVE AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN ARE THE SAME AS THE FEMALES. I HATE TO SAY IT BUT THEY HAVE NO REAL DREAMS OTHER THAN TO GET A LONG SHOREMAN CARD. IF THEY WORK FOR ONE OF THE PLANTS OR FOR THE PORTS WITH NO COLLEGE EDUCATION THEY BELIEVE FOR THEMSELVES LIKE THEY ARE GODS!!! I WISH YOU AND I CAN TALK ANYWAY, I PLAN TO LEAVE THIS YEAR OR NEXT. MOST OF THEM HAVE SLAVE MENTALITY OR CAN NOT MAKE WISE CHOICES FOR THEMSELVES. YES I SEE OR FEEL THAT SPIRIT ALSO.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 40,566 times
Riverdale is Great! There are doing a ton of redevelopment! Check it out at [url=http://www.riverdalega.gov]Riverdale, GA - Official Website[/url]. There's a warm home town feeling there. You can actually Meet with the mayor and have coffee.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 40,566 times
Information you provided looks pretty good in writing but do you live in or near Riverdale? Check out the website [url=http://www.riverdalega.gov]Riverdale, GA - Official Website[/url] the shopping centers and Town Center Projects and economic development projects are all coming to Riverdale. Enough of the bad publicity already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvisteam View Post
Not sure why people decided not to answer the questions and just wanted to "crap" all over Atlanta. Atlanta is one of the best cities to live near, hands down. You won't find better weather, more things to do anywhere else. I would say that people here are great, but now with so many transplants, it's becoming tough.

METRO ATLANTA - includes 13 counties

1. Alpharetta - The high appreciation, parks, schools and shopping make this the most sought after location outside of the city. The drawbacks are traffic to and from Atlanta and the high prices.

2. Suwanee - Named by money magazine as one of the top 10 places to live. Suwanee has parks, great schools access to many great shopping opportunities and it continues to grow. Housing is extremely affordable as well.

3. Marietta - Marietta is one of the most convenient cities on the north side. It has decent schools, slightly high prices and a few parks. It's very convenient to Atlanta. The east side of the city features one of the best schools in Georgia. Several athletes have come out of the high schools here.

4. Peachtree City - Or "pilot city" - this city is where a lot of the pilots live from Hartsfield. The schools are better than the average South Atlanta school and price are reasonable. Out of the areas south of I-20, this one has some of the lowest crime statistics.

5. McDonough - I'm trying to name cities all around Atlanta, so this one makes the list. Usually it doesn't come close. Homes are very affordable and the schools are slightly above average.

Other Great Cities: Lawrenceville, Dacula, Grayson, Snellville, Duluth, Roswell, Cumming, Vinings, Kennesaw, and Dallas.

Worst Cities

1. Riverdale - high crime and poor schools make this one an awful choice.
2. Norcross - Mostly non-English speaking residents, likely to alienate anyone that doesn't speak at least one of the many languages represented here. Gangs abound as does crime.
3. College Park - Great place to go to college, not a great place to go to school or leave a car unattended.
4. Forest Park - Again, crime and poverty abound, some of the states worst schools.
5. Sandy Springs - The city may try to "nicen" it up, but the traffic is horrendous and the crime and schools are some of the worst. There ARE nice neighborhoods in Sandy Springs, but the rentals are what makes it not as nice to live there.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,106 times
you mentioned Cornelia as a top five. I have not been there before but have heard it is a nice community. Why did it make your list? Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:15 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
Have a hard time understanding how Sandy Springs makes a "worst" list.. I mean it is suburban sprawl at its finest.. but it is clean, upscale, and there are lots of high paying jobs..hardly deserving of being placed on the "worst" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia