Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,683 times

Advertisements

Augusta is consolidated like Columbus... but it is shrinking in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,683 times
I was just in Macon.. and it didn't feel very lively to me. The downtown was dead..reminded me of Augusta. I will give Macon this.. yes they have a nice mall.. but really if your only barometer for a city's quality of life is it's shopping mall... then you have some serious issues.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Augusta is consolidated like Columbus... but it is shrinking in population.
Well thats Augusta-Richmond. Bibb County gained people. I looked it up Richmond County lost 4 or 5 thousand people from 2000-2006. Bibb County we gained around 1 thousand.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 01-07-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
I was just in Macon.. and it didn't feel very lively to me. The downtown was dead..reminded me of Augusta. I will give Macon this.. yes they have a nice mall.. but really if your only barometer for a city's quality of life is it's shopping mall... then you have some serious issues.
As I've said before (and I'm sure most of us can agree) none of the other metros outside of Atlanta in Georgia are just thriving, bustling metropolitan areas. I'm not saying our downtown in Macon is super exciting or even exciting at all, but Macon is compact and Columbus is more spread out which I don't care for. Also, with all of our interstates, it just feels faster.

Of course it takes more than a mall to judge a city, but also I would say it's something wrong with people to act like an entire city is so horrible.

When you have cities the size of Georgia's 2nd Tier cities, there are enough NICE areas within each city for people to call home. Thats why I don't see how some cities (like Augusta, Macon and Savannah) can be called 100% unlivable. I mean, where I am in Macon is nicer than some of the parts of Columbus I have been in. It's more about where you are at in a particular city.

Some of you guys speak of Augusta, Macon and Savannah like we're Gary, Indiana, Camden, NJ, or some place like that.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Mr. JLA, considering the information below, WHERE is this shrinkage you speak of pertaining to Macon? Doesn't appear like that's much of difference worth mentioning.

Lol It's irrelevant to bring up Macon's "official" city limits population decreasing if all people are doing is moving from say Shurlington to North Macon and Rutland which WOULD be MACON if we were consolidated with Bibb County.

Bibb County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Bibb County
Population, 2000 153, 885
Population, 2006 Estimate 154, 903

Muscogee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Muscogee County
Population, 2000 186,291
Population, 2006 estimate 188,660

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,095 times
Your argument is baseless, its like saying, the reason why Columbus is not growing faster is because more people are moving to Harris and Lee Counties. Those counties are growing at a rate faster than Muscogee.
Macon is the city that is located within Bibb County. It does not matter were the people are moving to, the point is that they are moving out of Macon. When a city starts to loose population it also looses part of its tax base and when it looses tax revenue it has to make cuts in services, that's when the remaining citizens start to suffer. Suffering citizens breed discontent, discontent breeds resentment, resentment breeds crime and crime encourages more people to leave the city. Below are the statistics from 2000 to 2006.
http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2006-04-13.xls (broken link)
You must be a student or your not working, because you have been blogging all day. I am hoping that you are a student, because if you are working and blogging, then you are stealing the employer's money.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:31 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,304 times
I have plenty of friends who go to Mercer for law school, and they can't wait to leave. They all say Macon is slow compared to Columbus.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Your argument is baseless, its like saying, the reason why Columbus is not growing faster is because more people are moving to Harris and Lee Counties. Those counties are growing at a rate faster than Muscogee.
Macon is the city that is located within Bibb County. It does not matter were the people are moving to, the point is that they are moving out of Macon. When a city starts to loose population it also looses part of its tax base and when it looses tax revenue it has to make cuts in services, that's when the remaining citizens start to suffer. Suffering citizens breed discontent, discontent breeds resentment, resentment breeds crime and crime encourages more people to leave the city. Below are the statistics from 2000 to 2006.
http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2006-04-13.xls (broken link)
You must be a student or your not working, because you have been blogging all day. I am hoping that you are a student, because if you are working and blogging, then you are stealing the employer's money.

With all that being said, why did the Utopia of Columbus have a meeting about its "Crime Wave" and that huge drug sting?

With all that being said, why is Columbus' Poverty rate not much lower than Macon's?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I have plenty of friends who go to Mercer for law school, and they can't wait to leave. They all say Macon is slow compared to Columbus.
Plenty others do not agree with that. To each his own.

I'm the realist here. I can accept the negative and the positive statements about Macon if they are reasonable/true. But with you guys, if anything is said about Columbus that doesn't make it seem like heaven you act like its murder. All I said was that it's dull and boring TO ME. If someone says Macon is dull or boring, I wouldn't really care. BUT in comparison to Columbus? Its not that boring.

LOL. People are acting like Columbus is such a city of fun and exciting nightlife with lots of things to get into and that you have no idea where I came from when I said its dull and boring.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 AM

Look, even as the younger person involved in this I feel I am the mature one, as it seems JLA and ATLCOL1 have to throw INSULTS directed at users to try and add strength to what ever point they are trying to express.

The problem is some of you guys get all defensive if someone says ANYTHING about your town that doesn't make it seem perfect.

If my personal experience in Columbus led me to believe that Macon feels like more of a true city with more to do? Then thats MY opinion. How can you argue with me about my opinion? If someone says Macon was too dull for them, cool, thats their opinion. I wouldn't argue them down about their opinion like some of you guys do.

The only time I feel the need to step in is when people try to exaggerate or lie in attempt to prove a point. For an example, a person from Columbus talking down on Macon because of our African-American poverty percentage when their's is only a couple percent lower? See that just doesn't make sense.

It was just boring to me. Thats all.
There are enough statistic throwing guys on this site that generalize and say rude things about an ENTIRE CITY and ITS PEOPLE, for you to seem so bothered by me simply saying that I found your town boring.

I prefer Macon and you prefer Columbus, that's just the way it is and I'm leaving it at that. I was only explaining why I felt Columbus seemed so much smaller than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia