Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
syn

2 posts, read 12,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsyth-Online View Post
Are you looking for around Atlanta?
How is the crime in snellville (eastmont Cove) subdivision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 AM

893 posts, read 790,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
Best:
Dublin
Warner Robins
Forsyth
Bolingbroke
East Dublin (outside of town- in the country)

Worse
In or around Douglas
Savannah
Macon
Atlanta
Newnan or Lagrange
I'd agree on Lagrange ,disagree big on Newnan

Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,963 times
Hi All,
I'm so confused. There is a possibility we will be moving to GA in a few months. My husband's job will be in ATL. Coming from Southern Cal- he's use to a rotten comute.
I think 30 to 45 minutes is the longest he would like to commute. (he's last commute took 1hr on a good day!)
I was told we want to stay north of ATL, but not to go any farther than Cummings. Some suggestions were:
Crabapple
Johns Creek
Alpharetta
( i'm not married to these locations)
We have one child. Of course I'm looking for good schools, but more than their state test scores I want to find caring teachers-our child has some developmental delays - so special inclusion education is important.

I know we will be living in the south, but we need to live amongst diversity and not bigotry.

Any and all help would be truly appreciated!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscmom View Post
Hi All,
I'm so confused. There is a possibility we will be moving to GA in a few months. My husband's job will be in ATL. Coming from Southern Cal- he's use to a rotten comute.
I think 30 to 45 minutes is the longest he would like to commute. (he's last commute took 1hr on a good day!)
I was told we want to stay north of ATL, but not to go any farther than Cummings. Some suggestions were:
Crabapple
Johns Creek
Alpharetta
( i'm not married to these locations)
We have one child. Of course I'm looking for good schools, but more than their state test scores I want to find caring teachers-our child has some developmental delays - so special inclusion education is important.

I know we will be living in the south, but we need to live amongst diversity and not bigotry.

Any and all help would be truly appreciated!
Coweta County (Newnan) and Fayette County (Peachtree City) are on the southside of the city. These cities are just as nice as anything on the northside. The northside is too congested. If he is working downtown or midtown I would go to these 2 cities. Less traffic and good schools.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 AM

7 posts, read 23,007 times
Amen to Fort Gaines! There is NOTHING TO DO THERE, but it sure is pretty. Schools are crap. I taught there once.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I imagine Columbus is closer to Albany than Macon.
but he said a REAL mall. I'm sure that 1 floor piece of crap in Columbus is no better than Albany's mall.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 AM

Cities as large as ATL, Macon, Augusta, Albany, Savannah, Columbus, etc. have different sides of town...different areas etc.

When you deal with metropolitan cities, I think its pretty stupid to label the entire city as "dangerous, poor, etc." because you have so many parts of town that are different from other areas.

As I've said....I'm from Macon and my neighborhood is middle class and black. No bums walking around here, no nightly fights, no shootouts. Not in my area or many other areas. IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE IN THE CITY, WHEN YOU DEAL WITH LARGER SIZED PLACES.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,334 times
Here we go again. You would think that a teacher's kid would have a better out look on life than how BIG IS YOUR MALL or HOW MANY HIP-HOP clubs do you have. No matter how you try to build Macon up, the city is still a small city with crappy infrastructure. Macon is stuck in a 80's time warp. Where as you might think that Columbus's shopping experience is bad, the truth is that there are thousands more who do not live in Columbus, who know that the shopping here is fabulous. Your city is shrinking and a new strip mall is not going to correct that. I guess we will take the crappy mall and the rest of the crappy shopping here and continue to grow and expand while Macon, Augusta and Savannah continue to contract as more people leave the city. If I use your logic, then the reason why they are leaving is because they are looking for the malls.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 AM

JLA...actually when people talk about the "shrinkage in population" they actually have no clue what they are talking about....of course I'm sure you're aware that Macon and Bibb County are not consolidated like Columbus and Muscogee County. Actually Bibb County has gained people. North Macon and Extreme South Macon have plenty of projects going on now, especially South Macon around Hartley Bridge/Rutland(a newer area). Driving on I-75 coming from the North or South you can see all the work being done so it's no denying that. The people who are moving into these areas are just not counted in the city population but the county's.

Fact of the matter is, besides ATL, pretty much nobody is just dying to come anywhere in GA and its seems as if you're putting Columbus head and shoulders above the rest. Well, I take that back, maybe older people looking to retire or middle aged people ready to "settle down" might like Columbus, but being young there's nothing HOT and EXCITING going on with the city to attract young people. I'm not saying Augusta, Macon or Savannah are such desirable places for a younger crowd but there is more to do there than Columbus for people my age. As a young person the things you're mentioning I really could careless about at this point in time.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 AM

Hold on JLA, let me break this down.

All I need is a safe and comfortable area to live in, a job, a place of higher learning, and hot spots to hang out at. I would prefer a place with more of a FAST pace.

With that being said, I really don't care for Macon or Columbus (which is eventually why I'm trying to move to Atlanta or out of the state.)

Now as far as a nice safe place to stay, a job, and a college, I can find all of those in Macon and Columbus. Hang Outs? I personally find Macon to offer more in that area. Thats just ME personally.

Fast Pace/City Feel? You have even said yourself Macon is more compact than Columbus. Columbus is spread out and is just doesn't feel as lively as Macon. AGAIN, neither one has the feel of such a THRIVING metropolis, but Columbus feels way smaller than it is and Macon feels bigger than it is.

With that being said, I just would prefer Macon AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Most of you guys are probably older types and you just don't have the same concerns as me right now. If I was older and had children to raise then I probably would prefer Columbus, but I'm NOT and I Don't. I'll cross those bridges when I get to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia