Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,016 times

Advertisements

I don't know why anyone would assume that just because a school is small it would be "sub-par". My son goes to Emerson Elementary in Emerson, Georgia and it is a GREAT school. It's small enough that the students get excellent attention from the teachers, everyone knows everyone else, and the teachers and staff sincerely care about the students. Emerson Elementary has earned a number of awards for being an outstanding school. A large school with lots of money is nothing next to a small school with caring and able teachers. Personally, I have lived in Cobb County and sent a daughter through Cobb County schools. They are overcrowded and have a higher percentage of trouble makers. I would not move back into Cobb County, given the choice. Yes, there are many good schools in CC. But you have to judge each one individually. AND I am originally from Michigan and have not found Emerson to be any more "southern" than anyplace else in the south. DUH! Small towns does not equal small minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM

51 posts, read 243,890 times
Worst place is Jesup, Ga. That town is deplorable. Only stores in town is a Wal Mart and a Harvey's. The Cops are Nazis. No culture, or anything to do. That would be a prison sentence living in that town.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
Been through Jesup a few times and it never really made a great impression on me.. Hinesville is pretty deplorable too.. especially since it is practically a ghost town with the military deployments in Iraq. I guess it is to seperate the small towns from the larger towns.. Cities with 50K plus residents and places with fewer than that.
For the larger towns... Albany, Augusta, and Macon rank at the top in the WORST categories... Jesup would probably be high on the list for worst small towns.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM

75 posts, read 382,199 times
Default hey

The culture there is southern living. Its an attitude. Jesup was one of the first police departments in the state to have 911. I use to work there in probation. like most small towns there "aint enough folks" to establish anything meaningful in what is recognized as culture to the rest of the world. Thats why we have the big cities.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM

913 posts, read 2,986,067 times
Best:

1) Atlanta
2) Columbus
3) Savannah
4)LaGrange
5) Athens

Worst:

1) Augusta
2) Macon
3) Albany
4) Valdosta
5) College Park

Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 17,374 times
I must agree with your observation concerning Savannah. Prior to moving down here we heard rave reviews about this city. We were very disappointed when we arrived here. It is a very dirty city and not very friendly. Aside from the riverfront and a couple of museums there really is no reason to be here. Its an ok place to visit--that's about it.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
My opinion

5 Best:

1. North Fulton County
2. Cherokee County
3. Fayette County/Peachtree City
4. Wilmington Island
5. East Cobb County

5 Worst:

1. Southside Atlanta city proper
2. S. Dekalb
3. Clayton County
4. Chamblee
5. Albany

Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 25,188 times
Roswell Ga Hands down the best. Stay on the West side of 400, great schools, wonderful parks and recreation, close to lakes, rivers, Mountians. Plenty of diversity socially just feels like home when you are here.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Church View Post
Roswell Ga Hands down the best. Stay on the West side of 400, great schools, wonderful parks and recreation, close to lakes, rivers, Mountians. Plenty of diversity socially just feels like home when you are here.
West Roswell isn't very diverse, racially, compared to many other parts of metro Atlanta, and it is that which makes the place desirable.

The data is out there which shows that low crime and high-performing schools are associated with white areas. Check out "The Color of Crime" for crime stats. Check out information on the Bell Curve and race, as it relates to IQ.

There's also the idea of community, and being able to live in an area where people look like yourself. Furthermore, Roswell has been majority white since its founding. Shouldn't it stay so?

Old 11-23-2007, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,250 times
I lived in Lee County , ga many years ago. I was actually there in 7 8 and 9th grade and attended Lee County High school. Although I was young..I really did love it but have heard reports that is becoming very racist and not a safe place to be. I was very sad because I loved Lee county, but you know how rumours are. All in all though, Atlanta or Georgia I feel is a nicer place to live than Miami right now. I moved to Miami and have lived there for many years. Drugs are everywhere..even in Georgia so I dont know what the answer is as to where to go.
I am a single mom and would like to find a good place to raise my six year old. I guess the key really is, no matter where you go, it's not going to be perfect. You just have to be a very involved parent and really alert to what's going on in your childs life. I am that way but you know, it'd be nice to know that you dont have to worry about so many potential problems for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia