Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 04:35 PM

40 posts, read 34,997 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was exploring around Georgia on Google Earth, and virtually drove from I-75 from Valdosta to Macon. In between those areas was this isolated town called Albany, GA. Not remote, because it has a Target and some chain restaurants. But anyway, it was so off I-75 that you couldn't easily get to it from I-75. But anyway, is Albany, GA, a good place to live? I love exploring places on Google Earth but don't know about Albany that much. The only Albany I know is the capital of New York. What is it like to live in Albany, GA? Do you recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 04:42 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
It's not depressing.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:54 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
I have no idea what’s it like now so someone else can answer. I was in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War and was stationed there at what was then called Marine Corps Supply Center for several months. What a hard core strictly segregated hell hole back then.

Blacks off base were faced with white owned establishments not allowing black Marines or any black person from entering. And these were guys who had served in Vietnam or had come back. Not knocking current Albany or Georgia but the history always stuck in my mind.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:50 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthemust View Post
Hello all,

I was exploring around Georgia on Google Earth, and virtually drove from I-75 from Valdosta to Macon. In between those areas was this isolated town called Albany, GA. Not remote, because it has a Target and some chain restaurants. But anyway, it was so off I-75 that you couldn't easily get to it from I-75. But anyway, is Albany, GA, a good place to live? I love exploring places on Google Earth but don't know about Albany that much. The only Albany I know is the capital of New York. What is it like to live in Albany, GA? Do you recommend it?
Well...

The population of the City of Albany proper declined by nearly 8,000 residents between 2010 and 2020, so I don’t know if it could exactly be considered a thriving community at this point in time.

Albany is the industrial hub for extreme Southwest Georgia, but Albany does have some noticeable challenges... Noticeable challenges that the relative geographical isolation (that you mentioned) kind of seems to aggravate.

If one is considering living in Albany, Georgia, one probably definitely should visit Albany first to see if one would feel comfortable living there.

Quote:
Following a near nation-leading 40.5% surge in violent crime in 2020, the Albany metro area stands alone as by far the most dangerous city in Georgia. Nearly 1,500 violent crimes were reported in the Albany metro area in 2020, or 1,008 for every 100,000 people. The increase was led by a 55% surge in cases of aggravated assaults and a near doubling of homicides -- from 12 in 2019 to 23 in 2020.

As is often the case in metro areas with high rates of criminal violence, Albany is home to a disproportionately large share of residents facing severe financial hardship. The local poverty rate of 22.6% is considerably higher than the comparable 12.3% national rate.
Albany, GA Is Among the Most Dangerous US Metro Areas (The Center Square/24-7 Wall Street)

Old 03-22-2022, 07:11 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Well...

The population of the City of Albany proper declined by nearly 8,000 residents between 2010 and 2020, so I don’t know if it could exactly be considered a thriving community at this point in time.

Albany is the industrial hub for extreme Southwest Georgia, but Albany does have some noticeable challenges... Noticeable challenges that the relative geographical isolation (that you mentioned) kind of seems to aggravate.

If one is considering living in Albany, Georgia, one probably definitely should visit Albany first to see if one would feel comfortable living there.

Albany, GA Is Among the Most Dangerous US Metro Areas (The Center Square/24-7 Wall Street)
This is so depressing. I lived in Albany for one year, 1964 and thought it was a great place to live.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:52 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
To answer you question in one word, No!!!

Old 03-23-2022, 05:45 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
It’s still one of the least expensive cities in the US to live in.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:04 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It’s still one of the least expensive cities in the US to live in.
Significant population decline, very high crime rates, very high poverty rates, relative geographical isolation.

Albany, Georgia may be one of the least expensive cities in the the U.S. to live in, but there clearly appears to be some notable reasons why Albany has such inexpensive living costs.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:45 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Quote:
Significant population decline, very high crime rates, very high poverty rates, relative geographical isolation.

Albany, Georgia may be one of the least expensive cities in the the U.S. to live in, but there clearly appears to be some notable reasons why Albany has such inexpensive living costs.
Still have some decent retail shopping options. It has the amenities and affordability but not the leadership.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:30 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Quote:

That’s true, but as with many cities, crime is worse in certain areas and low in others. It has a long history of racial inequality and “red lining” where people of color could not live or buy property. MLK, Jr. held a mostly forgotten march there in 1961. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albany_Movement

I’ve spoken with Albany State University students, a traditional Black college, who say they are enjoying their studies in Albany. I knew a prominent Black architect who sent his children there.

There are plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities in the vicinity and a strong “Good ole boy” vibe to the place. Seems a lot of people attend church. Winters are mild, summers are hot. Panama City Beach is not too far away.

Albany could do better but it’s really not that bad. It’s probably a good place to retire if someone wants a quiet life with decent amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia