Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 05:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times

Advertisements

As of 2023, Rank Georgia cities by Downtown area amenities/vibrancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 06:17 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
As of 2023, Rank Georgia cities by Downtown area amenities/vibrancy
1) Atlanta
2) Savannah
3) Athens
4) Columbus
5) Alpharetta
6) Roswell
7) Macon
8) Woodstock
9) Statesboro
10) LaGrange

Honorable mentions are Marietta, Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Milledgeville, Madison, Brunswick, St. Simons, Albany, Valdosta, etc.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:07 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Admittedly, I've not been to all of these, so some is from experience, some perception.

Atlanta
Savannah
Athens
Columbus
Augusta
Macon
Alpharetta
Marietta
Rome
Gainesville

Old 02-14-2023, 05:54 PM

As a 30 something year old AA professional who loves the nightlife, I've gotta say this about Macon.

Cherry St. (or right around the corner on intersecting streets) alone in Downtown Macon has about 10 spots, all within walking distance, that mostly cater to a mature 25-30 and up AA crowd.

Vibez Lounge (owned by NFL player Bud Dupree)

A Brook Haven Lounge (Semi Upscale Cigar Bar)

X-Arts (Host Art events (Sip & Paint) and parties

Daiquiris and More

Serenity (semi upscale/mature crowd)

Hoopz Lounge (sports bar)

Four Thirty (lounge)

Cherry St. Hookah

Churchills on Cherry (Upscale Mature Cigar Bar)

Recess Bar and Lounge

Niche Lounge

......you'll be hard pressed to find a similar sized city with that much mature AA nightlife within a walkable area from what I've seen. Very impressive.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:59 PM

Also, I moved to Suburban ATL a few years ago for work. Originally, in Roswell, now in Sandy Springs.

Downtown Alpharetta and Roswell are very nice but too small and lack the weekend after hours vibrancy of Macon.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 8,941 times
And none of you have ever been to Augusta I see

Old 02-19-2023, 11:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Macon- beautifully designed- gives off a European feel with historic architecture and hilly terrain—- once this city gets more prime development- the downtown will be enhanced- especially since it still holds its charm- great interstate access- needs a better river walk

Athens- like Macon- we’ll designed streets- alluring hilly terrain that basically puts downtown above everything around it—- the culture is alive downtown even if it is a college town—- I can see this place looking like Asheville NC in the future- the downfall is getting to this downtown is not straightforward- if I were in charge of the 316 improvement project- I’d put overhead signs for downtown Athens exit 8 Oak st- city should be more connected to the river—- more retail/ residential closer to the river

Augusta- honestly this is the only city in ga that deserved to be a big city—- the downtown grid is solid- an even variation of high and low rise buildings- I wish there were more main streets- also wish Gordon hwy was an expressway and that Calhoun connected to I-20- the river walk is one of my favorite in ga- I just wish the riverfront mall would re open that or add more retail to the river-

Savannah- so like—- we all love savannahs downtown so I wasn’t going to give it a top pick lol- eager and nervous to see what developers push for high rises in the downtown area—— it’s definitely going to happen- Savannah is alive and that’s probably my favorite part- the port kinda takes away from the city in my opinion- yet I know the port is essential

Columbus—— another city that confuses people when searching for downtown- the downtown is just okay… I love it but I know it will be more and it will get better attention soon- I hope they don’t demolish that gov building because that’s like the landmark for anyone who is lost- Aflac could expand downtown if not on the property they already have- best river walk experience in ga- even without the rafting

You didn’t say midtown so Atlanta will have an honorable mention (midtown is superior to downtown btw) (they barely preserved the downtown and it’s pretty disappointing atp )- speakeasy’s and alley bars win my heart—- all parks downtown are great— all new additions to downtown might make it my top pick in the future- since I’m from Atlanta- I refuse to place it with all of the overlooked cities in ga

Other honorable picks

Alpharetta
Marietta
Roswell
Griffin
Albany
Decatur
If Cumberland were a real city it would get #1 downtown from me!

Old 02-21-2023, 08:07 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA6H...Andrew%27sLife

Old 02-22-2023, 10:50 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Savannah-- the port kinda takes away from the city in my opinion
The port actually is Savannah -- it's the city's entire 260-year history and the reason for the large accumulation of elegant old homes, gardens, parks, and cultural attractions. The Port of Savannah's yards and facilities are well to the west of downtown, yet most visitors to River Street love to watch the huge international tankers shoot right by them, just yards away. Just one block south, the Historic District is calm and you'd never know there was a port at all. The port is not "taking away" from anything: you get a front-row seat on River Street if you want one. And economically speaking, the port is one of the big reasons why Savannah was Georgia's fastest-growing metro area from 2010 to 2020. It also helps provide the needed funds to maintain Georgia's most beautiful city.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:16 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Error in my last post: should read "290-year history." The 300th anniversary of Savannah's founding -- just 10 years away, in February 2033 -- is going to be some celebration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia