Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 78,356 times

Advertisements

I'm so surprised that no one recommended Fulton County schools. I teach in a F.C. high school that is extremely diverse and is also a magnet school for Math, Science, Performing Arts and Visual Arts. You can't beat the location and diversity of our school - North Springs High School! www.northspringshigh.com

Coming from NY - you will probably be shocked at ALL Georgia salaries. They will not be nearly as high...but the cost of living is MUCH, much less! We have a new English teacher who just came from Sheepshead Bay....and he loves it.

I believe that starting salary in Fulton County is around $38,000 with no masters and no experience. You can look online and see all salaries.

Good luck!! Let me know if I can help in any way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Having just moved to the area from NYC, you will be amazed at how different the teaching day is without a union. My day begins at 7:45 doing cafeteria duty. One prep, then 5 classes in a row. Then lunch duty and 4 in a row. On the other hand, the teacher support has really helped and I wrote very few detentions all year!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
You probably could have an easier time getting a job in Gwinnett because the student population is so high (largest in Georgia).

(Hmm, I just noticed that the original poster has never responded nor has he/she had any more posts since 2007.)

Last edited by sedimenjerry; 06-12-2009 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Extraneous Information

Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
Hello,
I am doing research on how to become a teacher in Georgia. I am currently a teacher in New York City and I am looking to relocate in a year.
I currently hold a Masters in Science Education and I have 2 years teaching experience. I am having difficulty locating where I will fall on the pay scale in Georgia specifically in the Sandy Springs area.
Do you have any idea what the starting salary would be based on my current educational standing, and experience?
This would help me tremendously with my researching relocating.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanydot25 View Post
Hello,
I am doing research on how to become a teacher in Georgia. I am currently a teacher in New York City and I am looking to relocate in a year.
I currently hold a Masters in Science Education and I have 2 years teaching experience. I am having difficulty locating where I will fall on the pay scale in Georgia specifically in the Sandy Springs area.
Do you have any idea what the starting salary would be based on my current educational standing, and experience?
This would help me tremendously with my researching relocating.
Thank you in advance for your help.
I would stay in NYC unless you can line up a job in GA in advance. Jobs are very, very difficult to find in GA now and teachers are still being laid off. Principals are getting 600 resumes per job. Seriously, there are thousands of laid off teachers in GA already, and there are many more 21 year olds graduating from the teacher colleges every spring looking for jobs.

Also, teachers in GA are taking pay cuts and furlough days. I hear Cherokee County will have 8 furlough days for next year (up from 4 this year). This has been going on since we lived there in 2008!

IMO, your ONLY hope might be that you are certified in Science. However, districts are still cutting and grappling with huge budget deficits that will not go away anytime soon. (check the PowerPoint presentation on the Gwinnet County website if you don't believe it is this bad).

Be very careful!!!!!

Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 825 times
Default Did you move to Georgia

Hi
Did you move to Georgia to teach? If so what do you think?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 825 times
Default Retirement

Also retirement in NYC is 25 years, but it's 30 years in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia