Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM

29 posts, read 116,187 times

Advertisements

I have stumbled upon Peachtree City...I must say that dollar for dollar, this seems like a fabulous place to live...The houses are much cheaper than Aiken, SC or Charlottle, NC for a couple in the semi-retirement phase of life early 60's.

What I want to know is:

1. Is there a country club (or several) which people join to play golf and socialize?
2. If there a neighborhood which is better (not more wealthy) but with more people in their 60's who are financially secure?
3. Why don't you hear that much about PCT? Is there a problem I am missing?
4. The golf cart things seems ideal for people not interested in overcrowded roads.

Please share your advice?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:58 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Umm.. Peachtree City is not cheaper than Aiken or Charlotte, the average house price is over 300,000 dollars ( I had to live there for 18 years) with newer homes closer to 400,000 and golf carts can cost as much as cars. You also have to take into consideration that there is not a lot of stuff to do (even movie theaters and bowling alleys are several miles away) so you would have to travel outside the town to find those things.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdimauro View Post
I have stumbled upon Peachtree City...I must say that dollar for dollar, this seems like a fabulous place to live...The houses are much cheaper than Aiken, SC or Charlottle, NC for a couple in the semi-retirement phase of life early 60's.

What I want to know is:

1. Is there a country club (or several) which people join to play golf and socialize?
2. If there a neighborhood which is better (not more wealthy) but with more people in their 60's who are financially secure?
4. The golf cart things seems ideal for people not interested in overcrowded roads.

Thanks.
I don't think you were in peachtree city- It's not cheap

Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 PM

23 posts, read 134,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdimauro View Post

What I want to know is:

Thanks.
well i lived a lot of my life in the PTC area and all i can think of that is a downside is its not close to anything but itself.
folks like to say it has a tight neighborhood feel, too tight for some.
lots of covenents (sp?) and rules that keep everyone in line.
keeps things nice really but some people like to "let thir free flags fly".
there is like 5 big time golf courses and i think if you join one you are a member of them all.
used to there wasnt much to do in town, it was kinda sleepy, but finally the powers that be loosened up and there are nice restaurants and big box stores in town.(even though they had to jump through lots of hoops to be "allowed" to build there)
finally, there is a wide range of ages there, families to retirees.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:15 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
I agree with busterthebronco about the neighborhood covenents. Peachtree City is a very conservative town (a bit too much for my tastes) and many neighborhoods have pretty strict guidelines for what is allowed and not allowed.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
I've heard so many good things about PTC (Peachtree City) that my wife and I went to check it out last Fall. We loved it, especially while comparing with a cold-place like New England... so we're seriously planning to move there.

The only question that we have is (if anybody could give us some insight)... we may be wrong but it seems that Atlanta's Doppler radar is located at PTC. Has anyone heard about health problems in PTC related to such radar? We're just wondering since there are a few studies correlating some disorders (e.g. autism) with that kind of electromagnetic radiation.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
PTC is a great place to live and I would move there in a heart beat. Newnan is 8 miles away with bowling alley and movie theaters. There are great restaurants and shops, wonderful neighborhoods, and the golf cart paths are the best especially with the price of gas. Also look at Summer Grove in Newnan if you want a resort type neighborhood.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Default according to your tastes

It depends--------- if you think suburbia is utopia, PTC is perfection. For my tastes, it lacks heart.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
I live in the Summergrove neighborhood and I highly recommend it over PTC. We looked at PTC when we moved here 2 years ago. It is ok but you get much more house for your money here and the shopping is better here now. Also, much easier and closer to I 85 to go into Atlanta. Also if you are retirees, in our area of Summergrove we are mainly empty nesters. We do have young families but there are alot of older couples also. The golf course is across the street and the lake is one block over .The golf course is part of the Cannongate group of courses. Most people around here golf at least once a week. We are moving to the Huntsville area because of a job change so our house is for sale. We have lived here only a 1 1/2 years and hate to leave. We have done alot to the yard. It was all brand new and our builder is one of the best in the area.If you would like to research and see the house, let me know and I will send you the listing. There is a neighborhood intranet site also along with the developer's web site. I think you would like Summergrove - most people here I find are from somewhere else and love the South.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 AM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times
The rate of autism in Peachtree City is no higher than any other metro - Atlanta town that I have seen and I am the parent of a child with autism who lives here.Most of the children in my son's autism spectrum class were born in different states (even different countries) so I don't think the doppler being here is really an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia