Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 23,715 times

Advertisements

Purchased 3/4 acre off Carrs Station Rd about 2 years ago. Planning to build retirement home in 2 years. Can anyone give me info on the area? Is it growing? Home values? I know population is little over 10K for Hanock Cnty. Land butts up to Cove of Lake Sinclair with about 30 feet of water but with a great view. What is there to do in Sparta? What is in Sparta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 08:10 AM

17 posts, read 136,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjhoward View Post
Purchased 3/4 acre off Carrs Station Rd about 2 years ago. Planning to build retirement home in 2 years. Can anyone give me info on the area? Is it growing? Home values? I know population is little over 10K for Hanock Cnty. Land butts up to Cove of Lake Sinclair with about 30 feet of water but with a great view. What is there to do in Sparta? What is in Sparta?
Sparta Ga/Hancock Cnty has a history. You might should research the area.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info. Will try to do some research. Not much on internet. I was hoping to hear from someone that knew the area.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,902 times
Default lake sinclair

Sparta is dead, you will do business in Milledgeville. This area has some of the richest history in Georgia, research Milledgeville on the web.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 PM

40 posts, read 205,055 times
There's not much to Sparta, however, land in area is beautiful. Lots of farmland, so it's also peaceful. There's a new development there, Briar Rose, that's a gated community, seems to appeal to equestrian folks. As prior post noted, Milledgeville is close, and Greensboro is also. Milledgeville has college and university, is growing. If you're looking for small town south life - peace, no traffic, no congestion, quiet nights, you're going to the right place. Not for everyone, but I love it!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I am retiring so the quiet and nothing to do should be right down my alley. Florida is getting too expensive for retires.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,743 times
You may not get to read this since it is now two years later than the original post, but we bought 1 1/2 acres on Lake Sinclair Dr. in Hancock Cty Jan. 06. It had a decent, large double wide on the property but it needed tons of work.....we gutted it, did the work ourselves and have been enjoying it ever since. Our plan was to build a retirement home there, we are glad that we decided to become aquainted with the area in the before moving there permanently. It is a peaceful, relaxing, safe area.....after living in Florida my entire life, I am looking forward to the day we live there full time.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,137 times
Is there a group out there that is concerned about the proposed drastic increase in our property taxes? I live on Lake Sinclair with address of Sparta, GA. We only have until Oct 3rd, 2009 to argue this increase down.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,982 times
Default A glimmer of hope for Hancock County

There is an organization called Lake Sinclair/Hancock County Property Owners Association (LS/HCPOA) incorporated in 2001 under the laws of Georgia and registered as a not for profit community action group with the Georgia Secretary Of State. It is open to anyone who is interested in assisting us with our cause.

LS/HCPOA was organized by and for all citizens and taxpayers of Hancock County to deal with all the corruption, out of control spending and lavish travel expenses in the county government, county school board and county school system and even the sheriff's department. We have effected changes for the better but there is much yet to be done.

I am a retired full time resident and have owned property for almost 30 years in the East Lake Sinclair community. I have served as an officer and president and am currently a director of the Association so I am intimately familiar with the political and legal problems as they now exist in the County.

The county government has recently completed a county wide reassessment of property in the entire county. Four of the five tax assessors (inclucing the Chief Tax Assessor, Arthur Lawson) are deliquent in the State required certification. My property tax assessment has increased over 433% since last year. The Board of Commissioners and Board of Education have turned a deaf ear to the Taxpayers and plan to enjoy a huge windfall of taxes to fritter away. The county estimates a mil rate decrease of only 5 points and the school board is finally submitting two budgets; One budget for 16.9 mils and another for 15.9 mils. The current total mil rate for the county and BOE is the second highest in the state at over 39.0 mils and is listed as one of the poorest counties in Georgia and the nation. Unemployment is almost 20%. The second bigest employer in the county is the IGA food store (the school system being the #1 employer with a budget of over $15 million).

Services by the county are almost non-existant. Our roads in the lake area are unsafe at any speed and have not been repaved in almost 30 years (only patches on patches on patches). The two lake communities have raised their own funds and built their own fire stations. The county graciously contributed 2 truck loads of gravel and pays the utilities at the stations. The sheriff will not allow the prisioners to even pick up litter along the roadways. . .his excuse; he doesn't want to offend the parents of the inmates . . . so he can get re-elected.

The school system has 1,364 students and the School Superintendent earns over $120,000 and she plans to build a performing arts center with the additional revenue. The school is still building a $2.4 million dollar stadium and athletic field.

My advice to anyone who wishes to settle in this county should contact me via this forum and I will fill you in on the latest actions we are about to undertake to deal with most of our elected officials.

Otherwise, just be prepared to set your calendars back 60 years when you get here.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,495 times
Default How to rent or lease building in Sparta,Ga.

Hi I am interested opening up a store in Sparta,Georgia.Something like a clothing store and a Dollar Tree. The only problem I have is ,I dont know who to contact about renting the building.If someone can assist me with some information , I really would appreciate it. thank-you in advance. Shirley Smith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia