Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,029 times

Advertisements

Researching the posibilities to move to Athens, GA. I have read some of the older post but is mainly single, college people. I have two children, 6 and 16 yrs. old and I would like to know how is family life, school. We are very outdoor people. What's outhere besides museums, nightlife and dining? It doesnt have to be Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWEast View Post
Researching the posibilities to move to Athens, GA. I have read some of the older post but is mainly single, college people. I have two children, 6 and 16 yrs. old and I would like to know how is family life, school. We are very outdoor people. What's outhere besides museums, nightlife and dining? It doesnt have to be Athens.
Well Athens isn't known for very high paying jobs outside the university, so that makes it a somewhat mediocre city for families.

It is a very interesting and wonderful city though.

Most families are attracted to Oconee County to the west. It is where the better public schools are, suburban/exurban housing, and many professors' families. Locally, for a city it's size Athens has a good little park system and plenty of walking trails. It also has the Georgia Botanical gardens, which is really nice.

The best use of outdoor space, especially on weekends, would be a few hours drive north to parks in the start of the Appalachians and about 1-1.5 hours south to Lake Oconee.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
^Agreed.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,461 times
I second the Georgia Botanical Gardens, and Appalachian Mountains. Other outdoor spots include Sandy Creek Park, Sandy Creek Nature Center, UGA Intramural fields and walking trails, Scull Shoals Park, Watson Mill Outdoor Recreation Area, and Clarke County Greenway. There are a handful of great municipal parks, too, like East Clarke Park, Memorial Park and Ben Burton Park.

I am single, but have a number of friends with children. I feel like this is a family-friendly area. Athfest, our big music and art festival is very kid-friendly, and there are a lot of kid-friendly restaurants.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
You may enjoy kayaking down the Oconee River. There's a business or two that do that. It's by no means serious kyaking but it's something to do. There is some great camping at Fort Yargo, Victoria Bryant, and Tugaloo State Parks, which are all somewhere between 30 minutes - 1 hour from Athens. There's a cool zip line course in Lula, GA, which is about an hour away from Athens. I'll put 3rd on the Botanical Gardens. (And not to nitpick but the Botanical Gardens are in Clarke County, not Oconee, but just barely.) Memorial Park has a small zoo in it that's worth checking out (and is a relatively cheap place to host a birthday party). Sandy Creek Park and Sandy Creek Nature Center are also worth checking out.

And I know it's not outdoorsy, but for a 6 and 16 year old, I'd highly suggest driving 30 minutes north to Commerce for Funopolis. It has miniature golf, go-karts, a decent arcade, and a climbing wall. The Tanger Outlets are also in that area. A 6 yr old may be interested in the inflatable jump house over in Bogart by Georgia Sqaure Mall. I think it's called Pump It Up but I could be mistaken. There's a family-friendly bowling alley in Athens near Milledge and Loop 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia